tuning a 2.4L - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tuning a 2.4L
Friday, February 03, 2006 2:45 PM
ive been reading wut people are setting and i wanted to clarify that if i were to buy a wideband controller, im interested in the zeitronix zt-2 by the way, now when im sitting at idle (app 6 psi of boost when WOT) i should be sitting at about low 12's to mid 12's in the afr rite? and when i give it boost i should be in the 11's?

thanks for any help here

Re: tuning a 2.4L
Friday, February 03, 2006 2:54 PM
Idle should be 14.7

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:19 PM
"12.3 is not MINT, especially for WOT. 11.5 is "MINT" for WOT. 12.3 is good for idle and partial throttle. "

thats a quote from another member, is there somethign im missing, i thought 14's was n/a air fuel reading
Friday, February 03, 2006 3:23 PM
14.7 is what it should be anytime off boost because really if there's no boost, you're pretty much n/a....once you in boost, thats when it should hit mid to high 11's or low 12's depending on your tuning

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:27 PM
If your car is in the 12's during idle, you'll have issues like mine, with a car that dies at idle and smells like fuel.

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:34 PM
yes anything under 14 is bad A/F for idle. low to mid 12 under boost is good. i've been told by a tuner friend that 14.4 at idle is normal and at 6psi and WOT, it should be about 12.2 to 12.4 if running properly.

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:39 PM
awsum thanks for that explanation, so with a wideband and an adjustable FMU, to tune my cav i would first start it see where my afr is sitting, if its normal and then i pull out wait till warmed up of course and then hit boost, and then keep doing this until i sit at mid 14's at idle and then hit mid 12's to low 12's , if i can achive this then i could consider myself tuned very comfortably?
Friday, February 03, 2006 3:41 PM
The ECU should get you mid 14's at idle if you have your fuel pressure set. Don't set the fuel pressure for idle AFR until the car is warmed up though. You're car will also bounce around between 13.5 and 15 during cruising or just driving out of boost. During decelleration your AFR will go into the 17's and even lower (mine doesn't register on the gauge), and thats normal.

Friday, February 03, 2006 3:49 PM
so its actually gona be normal if i give it boost and then let off completly and my air fuel shoots up to 17.XX?

so lets see if i get this rite on the dot...

tturn the car on let it warm rite up AND THEN tune the afr with the FMU, when i get it idling round mid 14's im good

next take the car out, already warmed up, so give it boost, and tune it till i hit 12's on the afr gauge

once its tuned, while cruising regularly ill be jumping from 13-15 afr

then i hit boost and it should hit 12's and if and when i let off the gas it will shoot up towards 17 , im guessing cuz the excess fuel still coming up towards the engine, then it will smooth back out to 13-15's

do i got it yet? lol
Friday, February 03, 2006 3:56 PM
Yes, except this part:

Quote:

im guessing cuz the excess fuel still coming up towards the engine, then it will smooth back out to 13-15's

Its because there is no fuel in the engine. During decelleration, the ECU cuts the fuel down to barely keep the car running. Keep in mind that 17's are leaner than 12's. Leaner means less fuel. Its lean because you're slowing down.

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:45 PM
is that jus cuz its boosted or even n/a cars go lean like that?

Friday, February 03, 2006 6:58 PM
All cars do.

Friday, February 03, 2006 8:08 PM
i sit at 14.4 at idle and 11.9-12.5 around 5500 to 6 grand.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/StylezTA
Friday, February 03, 2006 9:20 PM
awsum, once again, great help guys, its all added to my "turbo notes"!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search