ODB1 ECU Project - Page 10 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ODB1 ECU Project
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:10 PM
i have the diagram from when i swapped ecu and cant find it. if you can tell me which pin that would be great!
and for the gauge i'm using a speedhut revolution programmable gauge. i think i should be fine.
this is the one i have http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-608.htm

thanx

Saturday, December 11, 2010 11:32 AM
any new files for this?
did you found the injector constant data?

Monday, November 21, 2011 1:03 PM
I'm going to bring this back from the dead. I was wondering, given the experienced posters to the thread, what would be the best items to buy to be an end all solution for tuning and simultaneous data logging? Is it still the autoprom that C Smith recommended from Moates? I've about to buy the hardware, and tunercats, but it seems like there's lots of ways to get to done, but I'm all for making decisions based on factual information, and not guessing. So, I'd like to only make map changes if data logging shows me why I should be changing it. (this is a habit I've picked up from being a c++ computer programmer)

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:15 PM
apu1 would be best

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:32 AM
ok, i'll save up for that, but it looks like it's back ordered until the new year...
http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-package-usb-version-backorder-ed-til-1112-p-54.html?cPath=64

Friday, December 09, 2011 8:35 PM
worth the wait...

Monday, January 09, 2012 7:08 PM
I've bought the APU1, and played with it once so far. I'm trying to get data from the ALDL connection for starters before I open the ECU and try either burning chips, or emulation. I found the data stream file that I think I need, and put it in Tunerpro RT, and i'm able to get connected, but the data values are erratic. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing. I've been reading the tuner pro forums, and may post my question there as well, but thought this thread may have many experts in it already.

Monday, January 09, 2012 10:37 PM
thats normal, mine does that too. once you are connected you need to send "disable IPC macro" command. after that values will make sense

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:58 AM
Magik1109 wrote:thats normal, mine does that too. once you are connected you need to send "disable IPC macro" command. after that values will make sense

Oh, great! I'll give that a try this evening. Also, how do I read DTC codes. I've got a CEL coming on periodically while driving and with the 95, as I'm sure you know, it's hard to find a scanner tool that can read the damn ECU. Can TunerPro RT read it? or something else that I can use with the APU1?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:37 AM
i have a code reader for that, but i think the dtc codes appears on your data screen when you are datalogging

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:27 PM
I got it to work by editing the data stream definition file, and in the drop down for on connect, I sent the disable macro (can't remember the exact name), but that seemed to do it.
You were right about the codes being shown in the values screen. I had the work "ERROR" in red next to 43 ESC. I goggled it, and it's the Electronic Spark control. Most people say either the O2 sensor is bad, or there's bad wiring to the knock sensor/bad sensor. I just wired in a new wideband with the narrowband output, and I'm sure that's working because when datalogging, when it's at 14.7, I can see the datalogger switch from RICH to LEAN and back and forth, like it's suppose to.
I'll need to play back the datalog, and watch the knock values.

I guess after I figure that out, it's time to crack open the ECU and see what I have to do in there to change fuel maps, etc.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:05 PM
Is there a way to download the data as it currently sits on the stock chip in the ECU? I've got my $f1 adx file, but all the values in it are empty, and I was looking for a good starting point instead of having to write ALL the maps from scratch... That would suck.

Friday, January 13, 2012 5:15 AM
yes, you need to take off the prom in the ecu and with this adapter link plugged in your apu1, you can read the stock .bin files.

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:16 AM
and it should be $36 file.
i have a stock and a couple other bins if you want them

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:07 AM
Thanks Merlin, I'll try to pop open my ECU this evening to make sure that mine looks like this, and then i'll be placing another order. I also want to note the ecu number on the side, because based on the tunercat.com definitions the $36 is for the cavalier, and the $f1 if for the pontiac... I think in this thread back a few pages, C Smith talks about the files basically being identical except one had a 1000 offset. But that's the reason I have the $f1 instead of the $36. But, I'll find out which works i guess.

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:28 PM
you will also need this adapter to install your chip. link
or the GP3 if you want to be able to switch bin on the fly.
i always thought that definition files was based on engine and not model!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry about going dark there for a while, 4 kids is a lot to handle. My Jbody finally was parked for a while and then I mistakenly sold it to a friend who needed a car. He trashed it, screwed up the injectors and then didn't bother to pay for the rims or give it back to me in compensation.

Anyway I haven't had any forward progress on the tp files, but it sounds like Magik may have. Moates hardware is still the way to go. I'll dig up all my old files i can find and send them to the tunerpro website if i can, basically without a ride to experiment with i'm kind of out of the game.

I can tell you that your right about definition files, they're based on the model of pcm you have. You can swap out to a different pcm and use different maps, however the 95 pcm is a better pcm than the previous generations. It has similar hardware to the odb2, as it was slated for converstion but never converted.

How did you get the disable macro to work correctly for ALDL? I never could, so I had to use the key trick. Car on, start ALDL, key off and on within 5 seconds to trick the PCM into monitoring mode?

I'll be happy to work on this, perhaps i can use my old data logs to add more features. It's been in beta forever but can be used by an experienced programmer.
Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:52 AM
C Smyth wrote:
How did you get the disable macro to work correctly for ALDL? I never could, so I had to use the key trick. Car on, start ALDL, key off and on within 5 seconds to trick the PCM into monitoring mode?

I plan to post the exact steps in my tuning thread, with the Hex values and everything, for at least what worked for me in Tuner Pro v5 RT.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:57 AM
Did you happen to locate the magic aldl subroutine by chance? I been looking for it forever..
Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:47 PM
i'm using the definition file i got from cavfan, i couldn't get yours to work. the one from cavfan just need to send the disable macro command.
he helps me alot at tuning my z24. now i just need to learn more...
c smith, i can send you all the files i got if you want to take a look at them

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:59 AM
Sure, that would be great. It's nice to see my work didn't just die after i disappeared w/4 kids. Looks like Cavfan has reworked a lot of the file according to the other thread.
I'm wondering if we shouldn't merge the 2 threads into a superthread?

Magik, do you still have my e-mail address? PM if you need it.

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:54 PM
i have just sent you by email the files i have.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:25 AM
I got all the files, thanks. I've been kind of busy but took a quick look. I'm impressed they look awesome.

VTLoki: Here's what I found in my research. The F1 mask binary starts off at 2000 hex location, leaving less of a buffer between the start of the file and the finish. The F1 mask was used on trucks. Other than that it is virtually identical. It may have some changes that account for different sensor types, and transmission types, or some added subroutines that I never identified.

I am still trying to locate my dis-assembly of the pcm code, if anyone here reads hex, you will notice added subroutines to the $F1 file that are not in the $36. As far as the pontiac goes they could also be using the $F1, I was never able to confirm that. The tunerpro files that are floating around right now handle many tables and constants, but there are several subroutines in the code itself I was never able to identify. One of the key subroutines that we will want to identify is the ALDL output, as essentially that will allow us to manipulate what is output where. Instead of just reading the standard sensor readings that we can read now, we could virtually add subroutines to process data in other ways. There are also some emissions subroutines that control egr. I did experiment with them for a while, and found that you can actually use the EGR valve itself to block EGR gasses. However I didn't get very far with this, but it would be worth looking into.

When I dig my disassembly up, anyone wishing to dig further into it is welcome to it. It is of further use to note that we're about 80% of the way into fully cracking this pcm, and once its 100% we can build custom code, which virtually makes it on the same level as megasquirt and other standalone units. One thing i can tell you, is that it can run in several modes, and there are a few inputs and outputs that are unused on it. That even can make boost control possible, as well as wideband translation / input.

Hope that helps clear some things up with this project.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:35 PM
boost control would be awesome. as i'm planning to supercharge soon. else i'm going megasquirt. i would love to keep this ecu instead of swapping to ms.
i dunno if this will ever happen tho!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:17 PM
My dream would be to be able to use a 95 PCM to run 4 to 8 cylinders if it were possible. Id 3400 swap a 3rd gen so fast if I could use the 95 PCM. Not sure if its possible to do so, injector or coil driver wise. One thing I thought of was maybe early OBD1 3100 computers, but they were all autos as far as I know, don't know of complications on the computer side with that. The thing I could really use is just a way to adjust the Baro scale for a 2 bar map. Thats the one thing that would make boost WAY easier on a 95. Using multiple tables or 1 and 2 bar maps is custom stuff that could be done later.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search