How to set up HPTUNERS+Speed Density with the LD9 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to set up HPTUNERS+Speed Density with the LD9
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:27 PM
I really think a HPtuners setup for us LD9 guys would be helpful. I know the info is out there but you have to research it through various threads and other sites then combine them with many many notes. So I will try my best to combine all needed info here to help the community. I am in the learning process so please include helful feedback.

***I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR PCM OR VEHICLE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***

The setup alone can be a hassle for a newbie. I dont want to get credit for this cause I received all this info from several threads here and help from many fellow jbody friends.

I will post my experience with the installation including issues Ive had. Please feel free to respond with corrections or any feedback that will help the community.

Again this is just a "HOW TO" to set up hptuners and run the GM supercharger speed density reflash tune to read boost...if you plan to turbocharge your Z24.

The setup consist of installing HPtuners, writing the GM reflash to your PCM, installing bigger injectors, installing a 2 bar, and setting up configurations for the histograms

The reflash is setup to run off of a 2 bar sensor and uses it to fuel with kpa vs. rpm called speed density where as a normal cavy fuels with throttle position vs rpm called alpha-n and can not read the boost like the reflash.

Well installing the drivers for the MPVI interface was a bit annoying. After installing the software from the CD you still have to install the MPVI interface with the CD still in the drive. Im not sure if it was just my laptop but it did not prompt me to install the MPVI interface once I hooked up the USB cable. However there are several ways to install them. There are actually A and B drives from the MPVI interface to install. The instructions are also included in the kit or you can visit hptuners.com

But you simply visit your control panel and expand your USB section and manualy install both drives A and B. Not too detailed in the explanation but you get the idea.

Well after that I began learning how to use the software (still need more to learn!). Its rather straight forward yet needs some work like rewinding on the VCM scanner playback...just a small thing to mention.

Anyways it cost 2 credits for a Cavalier and if you do like I did and refuse to boost under the operating system Alpha-N then it will cost you another 2 credits to flash to speed density with the GM supercharger reflash from the M45 Kit. Thats because you will be switching VINS. A must unless you want to fork over more cash for the tune straight from GM. And then IDK if it will be unlock.

Well the tune is available on hptuners repository files.

I installed GM staged 42lbs injectors and a 2 bar. Part number for the 2 bar is 09350899, but changed to 12580698, then it changed to something else...LOL

Installing the 2 bar is easy. It might be tricky to remove the old 1 bar off the metal bracket but you will figure it out if you know your way around tools.

I used these injectors because it was the inexpensive route to go. Plus they are good injectors. Only issue is they are shorter so you need to modify the LD9 fuel rail. Here is the link on how to do that. Make sure you gather the right tools cause otherwise it will be a hassle with just a drill bit.

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17743

Then I downloaded the GM reflash tune from hptuners.com. It will automatically open your hptuners software...so make sure you have everything plug in and ready to go. It will prompt you to licesne the flash since the tune is under a different VIN. Choose to licesne only a single vehicle and accept or begin. Once done have the key to the on position but do not turn on the car. Next "write entire" on the flash tab...took a few minutes cause it erases everything on the PCM and then writes the new operating system. (MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS FULLY CHARGED!!!!)

Now adjust the injector constant according to your injectors. The reflash has the injector constant from the M45 kit...36lbs injectors. The link to find your constant can be found here with other relevant HPtuners info

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=23783&t=23783

Someone posted a link to hptuners that had an advanced formlua of finding the injector constant....I cant find it anymore...please someone post it here.

I removed/or zeroed out spark retard vs. torque reduction under the torque management tab and adjusted the fans turn on temp to my liking.

Now the car is Speed density and the PCM reads boost. So no more lean conditions...even the software told me so LOL...its kinda like having a Tech 2 read your PCM but better

Next step would be setting up your histograms and begin datalogging. I was given the histograms for the reflash for the 2k+LD9 guys...I will post them later. If someone has them please post them or show post a how to on making them. Im still learning that step as well.

Then smoothing and pasting and what have you. But Im still learing that step. I still need to get a wideband so until then its pointless to datalogg.

Only issue I have had is when at idle if I press on the throttle fast it will bog down. Ive been told I need to work on my injector constant...but Im pretty sure its fine...but I would like to see that advanced formula to confirm that. It might just be the tune that needs some work.

Other issue is my Theft system light came on after the reflash. But the car started and drove home fine. I was told it came on because of the change of VINS which makes sense. But hptuners took care of that.

Here are a few pics of my adventure. Not much since I was more into the install and not worried about pics.

THE 2 BAR NEXT TO THE STOCK ONE

THE LSJ STAGED INJECTORS NEXT TO THE SMALL STOCK INJECTORS

I JUST BARELY STARTED THE CAR

ZEROED OUT THIS TABLE FOR A LITTLE BIT MORE HORSEPOWER...NOT RECOMMEND BECAUSE YOU CAN BREAK SOMETHING IF YOU DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT...LOL

Injector constant of the GM flash...thats with the 36lb injectors but I have 42lbs so mine is diff.

GMR has got nothing on this

Re: How to set up HPTUNERS+Speed Density with the LD9
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:19 PM
The LD9 reflash is setup for 310cc injectors which are 31lb, not 36lb.

So with that info your injector constant is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:20 PM

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:52 PM
Okay thank u for that...im kinda glad to hear that actually. Cause I hope that will help the car from bogging down when at idle and I quickly press the gas.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:15 PM
Well I agree the GM M45 injectors are 31 and not 36. But as for my injector constant I have to disagree now because I plugged in the same values as posted in the How to: Hptuners. I had the same situation as posted in that thread.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:10 AM
I have the 42's as a 428cc injector, not a 440.

For your 42's I got a .23884 constant.

31/42 x .32359=.23884

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:39 AM
I just figured that out last night. I was assuming the CC in that thread were the same as mine since he posted going from the GM45 kit....and i somehow got a simliar CC as his But yes you are correct.

I jumped in my car this mourning before work and hooked up my laptop and adjusted the injector constant. Thanks man you've been great help.

Im curious what do you have your fans on temp set to?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:55 AM
I think I lowered my fan on temps to like 210.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:22 PM
I know 200 is to low. Mine was set there for a while, and it was on way to often.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:40 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I know 200 is to low. Mine was set there for a while, and it was on way to often.

I totally agree!! I think I tried like 203 and my fan in the summer was always on.

We should allow out cooling systems work.

It is just the 223 factory setting is a little high.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:34 PM
Yeah Im trying to find a sweet spot...but this Texas weather is all over the place.

Well I found out how to do the playback on the scanner during my lunch How do you save and play later? I save after driving but when I go to open the file it does not allow me to play it.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:15 PM
You have to hit the play button, and not the record button to replay it.

I very sedom actually replay a log, but use the chart to manually go thorugh and look for stuff.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:52 PM
Right on my lunch i just noticed you can manually hover over the chart display and rewind and fast forward. But what Im asking is after scanning, saving, and turning off computer. How do you open that scan back up and replay it. Only way I can replay it is if I replay it right after scanning and not turning off the computer. Does that make sense?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:47 PM
You have to pull the saved log back up.

Click open log file, and then you can hit play, or ise the chart to scan for what your looking for.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:11 PM
Use my injector constant calculator. It's more accurate and you don't have to care about the size of your old injectors.

Take your Fuel Rail Pressure and use this : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37279

Boost Lover
Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:25 PM
Yoecotec wrote:Use my injector constant calculator. It's more accurate and you don't have to care about the size of your old injectors.

Take your Fuel Rail Pressure and use this : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37279

Nothing wrong with the way we have been doing it.

Not saying yours is no good, it might be, but the one problem is most people do not know what their rail pressure is.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:49 PM
That is the calculater I was looking for! Awesome thanks for posting the link

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:50 AM
Raf, does the cable that came with your HPT software work on all Cavy's? If you;ve seen my posts in the local club forum, you'll see I need to get tuned this weekend but I dont have a cable to go from the OBDii to the laptop for Haza to datalog.
Does your cable work when doing the trifecta tune? I still dont FULLY understand all this tuning stuff thanks

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, March 09, 2012 9:32 AM
blu04DD wrote:Raf, does the cable that came with your HPT software work on all Cavy's? If you;ve seen my posts in the local club forum, you'll see I need to get tuned this weekend but I dont have a cable to go from the OBDii to the laptop for Haza to datalog.
Does your cable work when doing the trifecta tune? I still dont FULLY understand all this tuning stuff thanks

His HPtuners wont read your car unless you use up 2 credits, which runs about $100, but it can be licensed to work on your car that way. The cable is HPtuners exclusive and cant work for any other tuning software.

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:13 AM
What up Derek...yea exactly what Cory said. But I can lend it to you so you can get your Cavy tuned. Not sure how you plan to go about it with your Ecotec.

John wanted help tuning his Eco with HPtuners so I looked a how to on here and its very complicated, you got to run a "fake 2bar" so you have to increase the cells by twice as many. Too much work and the OP stated its a trial and error and luck thing....so I just gave up trying to learn it.

I asked Ben how does Trifecta works....cause I think he data logs with Hptuners then sends the log file to Jason the Trifecta guy. But he hasnt got back to me with the info. But he did state he is running speed density and a 2 bar...so that will be easier.

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:36 AM
*vince

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:40 AM
It is not hard to tune a Eco. You just got to know what your doing is all.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 09, 2012 11:14 AM
well Ive already spoken to Vince and one of his tuners/dataloggers in Austin. The problem we ran into, was the Austin tuner didnt have the cable for cavaliers (OBDii to USB), so Id have to pay like $200 for a new one. But i was looking online and Amazon sells OBDii to USB cables for like $30-50. Maybe not the same cables?

But Joe (dragon) in GMofSA said he can do it for about $20 less than the quote from the Austin tuner. Vince already has my mods list and expects the tune on Sunday. If i can get my local guy (Joe) to help tune it, I can pay him today and he should be able to get the money to Vince so I can get my tune at least a safe BASE tune by Sunday night or Monday.

I was just confused, as I dont see how the software will care if the OBDii to USB is just a reg cable...he made it sound like I had to go buy a brand new one for $200 as Vince wouldnt lend out his (even with a deposit). Nothing against him, understandable if its the only one he has anyways!

If i can just buy the OBDii to USB cable and thats good for connecting to the laptop to tune, Ill buy one anyways and let people borrow it if anyone is ever in the same boat.

Friday, March 09, 2012 11:22 AM
The HPT cable is not ODBII to usb. It is ODBII to serial.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:56 PM
Its not just as simple as getting a cable on line... The box Vince is selling you is an actual interface, just like HPT.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:59 PM
well thats why i asked. Raf has that one i believe, but when i asked the tuner "oh is it just an OBDii to USB then?" he's like 'yeah'. lol.

but i was reading HPT website and it mentioned storing dating in the cable, which then led me to believe its not just a reg cable at that point so i can see why its more $$. but still...to have to buy a brand new one just to tune on top of tune is silly. Id use it maybe once for this car after the setup.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search