boost tune?? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
boost tune??
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:22 PM
i put a lsj in my 2002 ecotec cav. turbo not supercharged. the only dealer willing to do the 2 bar flash was 2 hours away HOLTZ when i got there they gave me a hard time but agreed. 20 min. later they told me my car is to old and can not get the flash even if they wanted to. any help please i do have hptuners

Re: boost tune??
Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:00 PM
check the tune repository on hptuners.com

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:28 PM
DALE DRE wrote:i put a lsj in my 2002 ecotec cav. turbo not supercharged. the only dealer willing to do the 2 bar flash was 2 hours away HOLTZ when i got there they gave me a hard time but agreed. 20 min. later they told me my car is to old and can not get the flash even if they wanted to. any help please i do have hptuners
There is no "2 bar" tune for the Eco... If you want the SC file, you can have a dealer flash that (if they are willing).. You can't put the LSJ/Cobalt tune on your PCM...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:48 PM
i know over the phone one dealer was going to do it but when i got there all that happned was people looked at it then they said it will be $50 more because they need a code i agreed then an hour later they told me the car is to old and even if they wanted to they cant. and yes i know the pcms are not compatable just trying to get a good base tune for s starting point got 2 from the HP repository one is for an 02 auto. the car dosnt like that one lol. the other is for an 03 man. at least it runs with that one. im a newb with HP it is one heck of a learning curv.
Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:45 PM
I would say you just jumped into the deep end of the pool while forgetting you don't know how to swim yet.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:50 PM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote:I would say you just jumped into the deep end of the pool while forgetting you don't know how to swim yet.
Yep.... Time to put the floaties on!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, May 04, 2012 3:05 AM
What harness/PCM combination is even running that motor in the cavalier? A jbody PCM would require either an external trigger wheel or a lot of ignition hardware and trickery.

The only thing you can do is find someone close who is good with HPT and Jbodies and throw that money at them. Dealerships generally don't tinker with motor swaps, but can you blame them?

Friday, May 04, 2012 7:59 AM
i think the crank wheel is your design oldskool. it is running off all of the 2002 sensors and pcm (vcm)
and yes i can blame them LOL its funny when a master tech. looks at the car and says it cant work. but i drove it here
Friday, May 04, 2012 9:10 AM
DALE DRE wrote:i think the crank wheel is your design oldskool. it is running off all of the 2002 sensors and pcm (vcm)
and yes i can blame them LOL its funny when a master tech. looks at the car and says it cant work. but i drove it here

It's actually more like they don't want to deal with the headache of someone else's hack job. There is not enough known about your setup for anyone here to be of assistance and from the sounds of it you are not exactly in the know of what you have going on there either. If you have what I am guessing you have I don't blame them either for telling you it can't be done because the minute they do it the problems that will come shortly thereafter will become their problems.

Friday, May 04, 2012 10:00 AM
wow man do you work for Holtz? i wasn't rude like you when they said nope just said well i tried. but yes about the fear of the (headache) is why i didn't get upset i deal with it all the time at my shop. all im trying to get is a base tune for the timing
Friday, May 04, 2012 10:05 AM
So you are running the LSJ with the Eco Pcm (os) ?
Maybe start with an boosted Eco file and tune from there.

The more info you give the better, what injectors etc etc

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body

Friday, May 04, 2012 12:41 PM
By no stretch of the imagination am I trying to be rude but rather stating what seems to be happening here. If all you're looking for is a base tune for timing then the stock timing should work perfectly fine as a base for you to work from. Again, though statements such as that lead me to believe you are way in over your head because it is going to take MUCH more than just timing to get it running correctly. If you are using the L61 setup for an LSJ you will need to essentially start from scratch any anyway. Unless you want to mess around with a system you are not familiar with for several months you need to take it to a dyno and start tuning from there, preferably with someone who is capable of working through a tune in the condition that your car is in (meaning N/A to F/I w/ an ECU that was never intended to run a F/I setup).

Friday, May 04, 2012 6:45 PM
we got off on the wrong foot i think. i wish it was a L61 turbo its a way better unit. this is the first time i ever did a turbo engine was hoping if i could see some tables i would get a better understanding of pulling timing per boost. putting the 3800 with a 75 shot in the fiero was easy. ive been in the automotive field for 16 years now repairing stock is way different than this lol.
Friday, May 04, 2012 7:05 PM
DALE DRE wrote:we got off on the wrong foot i think. i wish it was a L61 turbo its a way better unit. this is the first time i ever did a turbo engine was hoping if i could see some tables i would get a better understanding of pulling timing per boost. putting the 3800 with a 75 shot in the fiero was easy. ive been in the automotive field for 16 years now repairing stock is way different than this lol.
Have you pulled your actual file yet? If so, those are the tables....As you will see, your PCM does not read boost, so you will have to use the last cells...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search