HPT Credits. Super confusing but makes sense. What would you do with 8? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPT Credits. Super confusing but makes sense. What would you do with 8?
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:18 AM
I've recently invested in HP Tuners, MPVI PRO. It comes with 8 credits. First off, that ticks me off a little. It should only come with 2 credits for $350-$400 instead of 8 so I don't have to make decisions like this.

Would you "spend" 2 credits on your car?
OR
Would you "spend" 6 credits on your model year and collect as many model year ECM's as possible?

(Side poll) Find a SC re-flash, that can be burned & edited (dunno if thats possible, but I saw this http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=19914&t=19914&p=1)

P.S. I'll be back in a few weeks with millions of questions haha.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: HPT Credits. Super confusing but makes sense. What would you do with 8?
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:38 AM
Well before you do anything decide what your doing.

Also, that unlock isn't going to ever happen. In my opinion.

I would do a lot more research before spending any credits and wasting money.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:44 AM
for what i spent, the credits are for my car and whatever car i own in the future. if anyone is comfortable with me tuning their car, they can spend the $100 for their own credits. just my thinking there.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:57 AM
the 8 credits is awesome.

i used 2 to unlock the junkyard pcm and then 2 to flash the 2.4 2bar reflash on it.

that makes 4 left over to edit something else you may have thats gm, or to sell to a buddy, by helping them tune.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:50 PM
^^^ I think you've seen my build log in the boost section w/ the Hahn stage 2 kit. It's going to be hard to tune with the FMU I think. Should I sell the FMU, and just get a fixed rate one? I'd have no Idea what to set my injector constant to with that FMU, along with Deka IV's. That's sort of an oxy-moron. injector "constant" with a variable rate FMU.

^^Makes sense. I'm trying to think outside the box.... be able to tune my car and then other j-body's that have the same ECM plug for 6 credits.

^ I will most likely be thankful that I have spare credits for something like that. I actually already have a spare 04' EMC that would be sweet to have a different tune borned. Swap em out... sorta like the table switching buttons for MS... except a table switching ecm swap ahaha. How do you unlock it and load the 2 bar re-flash? I thought -MD- said it's not possible...

I do have a buddy with a cobalt that is willing to offer me $120-100 to license his car on my tuner, and then he can just use the cable whenever I'm not. First think I checked when it was suggested was to see if he had the same style computer as me.

I dunno, UPS says I'll have it Thursday night though

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:34 PM
i wouldnt bother with the fmu, you wont really need it if you are tuning w/ hptuners
i had one and ditched it for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

as for the computer, im running a 2000 2.4 with the m45 supercharger reflash

not the reflash for the ecos

e-mailed ya back also
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:57 PM
I would just spend the 2 credits. When or if you ever unlocked enough of the same model year/motor/trans combo it will unlock the model year anyways.

Using a FMU with HPT is not a bad thing.

You would set your injector constant the same as you would if you did not have a FMU.at idle or none boost the system works the same.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:19 PM
I have learned that the 1:1 actually helps with the tuning a bit.

Also have you thought about tuning your friends vehicles and offering the credits to tune and making your money back???

Just a few thoughts./

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:00 PM
jason norwood wrote:I have learned that the 1:1 actually helps with the tuning a bit.

Also have you thought about tuning your friends vehicles and offering the credits to tune and making your money back???

Just a few thoughts./

Eric Knight wrote:..........
I do have a buddy with a cobalt that is willing to offer me $120-100 to license his car on my tuner, and then he can just use the cable whenever I'm not..............

I don't mind the money spent too much, and I'd like to get proficient in tuning to be able to offer a tuning service eventually.

1:1 as in fuel pressure?

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:58 PM
1:1 referenced.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:56 PM
Ok just to clarify. Tune the car at stock fuel pressure? as in 1:1. Sorry, I'm a bit slow >:o
My FMU is only going to be set between 1:0.9 and 1:2 for my first tune, or whatever 40-57psi is.
I'm going to end up ditching it for an adjustable FPR, but I just need the car running ASAP. (Hahn [partial] kit, build log in tuning)

Crap. If these stock injectors fit my 03-05 rail, then I'm running stock pressure and just diving into HP, while I wait for my AFPR (anyone know of any good regulators?)

As far as credits. I'm going to license my PCM, and then hang on to the 6, maybe sell it with the 6 credits with the unit if I go fully ms, and just have the ECU wired in somehow to pass scanport emissions. This season is all HPT though. In my opinion, HPT is more user friendly and more dumb-proof that TunerStudio (for MS)... Again this is with maybe 12 hrs on tunerstudio and only 15 minutes browsing vcm suite.

Main question Quick:
Is there a way to relay gauge info through the pro interface (I'm sure its in the instuctions or the net, just looking for a yes/no
Is there a way to relay gauge or any other information (CPS, sensor data) without the interface attached? Obviously there would need to be a DIY/Purchased module, I just need a yes/no if that's been done.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:47 PM
like so?

as for the second, since it gets its power from the obd2, you HAVE to have it connected to show any other parameters that you want to see. you can try using a smart phone and there is an app out there that shows some stuff but you have to get a bluetooth adapter.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:56 PM
I may be able to rig something with that smartphone.

This is in relation to my ms tune next year. If I can sun sensor voltage straight through the ecm somehow, or setup a can communications line, I would love my life.
I'm going to need a new speedo haha. Thinking of ditching my entire dash, and doing a custom fiberglass or sheet metal custom one. That's why I was asking, to run all custom gauges. I bet if I put the cluster behind the dash, I could use the stock gauge leads to run aftermarket ones. I remember there being 4 pins on eage gauge motor inside the cluster. This is coming from when I replaced the stepper motors in the cluster.... Yeah I used to do 80+ down side streets on 2 tanks of gas

Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:00 PM
I meant I may be able to figure out a way to calibrate the stepper motor signals from the stock cluster to work with aftermarket gauges. Only problem I think would be the speedo, but I'm sure HP has a calibration. It's not that important. the only time I'd go over 100 is on the track anyways.

^^ I was thinking to of putting car-pc in and using a 7in touch screen as my cluster btw

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:00 AM
If you have the PRO unit you can data log without the laptop in the car, but you can not see the info until you download it to the computer and look at it.

So you could go for a drive datalog (with no laptop in the car), come back home and look at the info.

Not sure if that is what you were asking or not.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:50 AM
I mean I want to rip out my dash, put a stainless dash in with all custom, new aftermarket gauges from water temp to fuel level to speedo. (not that extreme, but my theory-- i want to replace all gauges)

Is that do-able with HPT, or should that be for my MS build?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:40 PM
Eric Knight wrote:I mean I want to rip out my dash, put a stainless dash in with all custom, new aftermarket gauges from water temp to fuel level to speedo. (not that extreme, but my theory-- i want to replace all gauges)

Is that do-able with HPT, or should that be for my MS build?

That is doable on HPT. 2000+ you do not have to have a stock gauge cluster in the car for it to run. So you can take the stock cluster out and wire in your custom gauges.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:41 AM
Soo many possibilities.

Now can someone tell me what my stupid issue is with my car. I basically swapped the injectors to 630cc, or #60.
Changed the constant to .0597, wont run, changed it to .0711-ish and it idled-at 500 super rich off the scale.

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:19 AM
I have used .07000 for 60's.

Also keep in mind the injector constant is not going to make the car run perfect. You will have to do some VE tuning.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:05 PM
Even at idle? Yeah I was thinking around .065 and .07 for the constant.

I was looking at the how-to sticky for VE, but the histograms are gone. haha then theres 3 pages of people emailing them to each other.

Cybios@gmail.com
If you have them. -- I posted in the thread too, I can host them for anyone who needs em too. On my dads email server, so as long as it doesn't get 50+ hits a day it should be good.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:36 AM
Eric Knight wrote:Even at idle? Yeah I was thinking around .065 and .07 for the constant.

I was looking at the how-to sticky for VE, but the histograms are gone. haha then theres 3 pages of people emailing them to each other.

Cybios@gmail.com
If you have them. -- I posted in the thread too, I can host them for anyone who needs em too. On my dads email server, so as long as it doesn't get 50+ hits a day it should be good.

You should already have tghe histograms. They come with it (most of them anyways), it is a matter of setting up things to log the correct things to use them.

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:38 PM
Well there was a handout config file setup for j's.... :/ I'm lazy
Found it, so I'm going to go setup my wide band to log in hpt, then grab some data, and see what happens.

I've pretty much copied all the VE tables from the repository. The only difference was that they were turbo grind, and 8.9:1
It runs a bit better with that loaded, and I can drive it with AFR's in range, so time to do some fine tuning.
Gonna grab some good data, and see If I can't follow some instructions... haha.

Still trying to deal with why my car is idling so low. The idle speed is set at 1750, yet still only 850rpm after a rev. It'l be boggy, but if I bump it up a little it will hold at 1100, otherwise just struggle. I'm thinking something with my IAC, or possibly the adapter plate for the 2.4 intake.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:04 AM
Friday, August 24, 2012 11:36 AM
^ that is the exactly right advice.

The coils went bad while I was messing with MS...
Now I think I have a vac/boost leak. It idles high (set 900 idles 1100) - I know exactly what this is and fixing it today.
I think open loop may still be disabled.
Have my idle afr's at the moment 14.6-14.8 haha
WOT 12 then drops to 10.5
Coasting is a whole-nother story, can't seem to turn DFCO off. I want it at 17-18 at 0% throttle... theres just no fuel off the throttle.
Uphill 5th gear 10% throttle... 14-17

Think I'm doing good so far for putting 3 hours into it. I'm not sinking any serious time until I get all intake, exhaust, and oil leaks fixed. Maybe not all oil leaks, just the bad one.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:51 AM
You need to go in and fix the Idle VE tables. If you are using a tune that was setup for the Comp Turbo grinds and you do not have those cams then that is likely your idle problem. The lower compression of the VE tables you are using are also going to play a role. I don't use anything from the repository so I can't say for sure what adjustments have been made on those tables you are using but I can tell you I have my Idle VE tables completely modified for correct idle with those cams. More than likely whoever posted those tables did something similar.

You have to understand that when you go in and make all these adjustments that it has an affect on other components that are trying to make adjustments based on what use to be a stock tune, unless they too have been made aware of the changes (hope that makes sense). The IAC for example will be rather confused unless you go in and make the VE table changes and an idle hunting scenario can play out. One thing I am not entirely sure of is why your idle is not hitting the ridiculously high idle you have it set for as it should. I can tell you if you have it set too high the IAC will try to fight that and in that case there is basically nothing it will be able to do other than confuse the ECU. You may also get some STFT commands to begin fighting against that idle also. Not for certain how it would react to be honest with that high an idle setting as I have never gone that high.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search