MSD DIS-2 Programmable questions.... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD DIS-2 Programmable questions....
Friday, July 06, 2012 1:04 PM
hey guys, i tried searching on the msd dis 2 subject but most threads are 5+ years old on the subject and say absolutely nothing about running the dis-2 unit in conjuction with an hpt tune. so just need some advice as to what i should do here... i have an MSD DIS-2 programmable unit and would like to use it.

what i have.... stock auto LD9 with LO cams, venom intake/58mm tb/wai, dc sports header/test pipe and a 2.5" catback. m45 injectors.
what i have planned.... dyno tune on the 11th with hp tuners.
what i have planned down the road... 75-125 shot via nx wet kit. (and yes i know to use 93 octane, NGK TR6's and reduced total timing)

i want maximum n/a performance out of it so i dont want them to dial back the timing for the spray so thats why i wanna use the MSD. i have heard that the msd dis2 doesnt really work on our cars because the ECU just tweaks the timing back anyway. is that true? what should i be doing here?

anyways, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Re: MSD DIS-2 Programmable questions....
Friday, July 06, 2012 7:34 PM
For what your wanting to use it for I would say perfect.

I hope the text you sent me about the MSD was not for this, because I was referrng to the one post on FB.

Also I have not truly tuned a car with MSD set to retard to see how the ECU reacts, so it is possible it would add back, but not sure truly.

I believe the MSD would take the timing the ECU sends out and then subtract X amount of timing based on what you set it at.

So tuning the car n/a with HPT, then use the MSD only when the juice is being sprayed should be nice.

Only problem I really see if you wont have a fine tuned juice tune. Mainly on the fueling side.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 06, 2012 7:57 PM
ok good. thats the stuff i was looking for LOL

i dont think the fuel will be that big of a deal though as it is a wet kit....

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:03 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ok good. thats the stuff i was looking for LOL

i dont think the fuel will be that big of a deal though as it is a wet kit....

I think it will be safe on the wet kit, but not a good overall tune on the wet kit.

A wet kit is like a FMU, might get it there, but not proper.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 08, 2012 8:04 PM
oh yea? lol ok i gotcha. well maybe ill throw a bit bigger fuel jet in just to be safe?

Monday, July 09, 2012 4:33 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:oh yea? lol ok i gotcha. well maybe ill throw a bit bigger fuel jet in just to be safe?

Not sure it will be needed, but since you have a wideband you can see what it is doing and will have a idea.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:16 PM
We made over 440 with the stock ICM, MSD coil adapters, and MSD coils.

Now we do run the MSD box but run the box with no timing changes, that's all done with HPT.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:07 PM
right but i cant do that unless i either want to a.. have two tunes and switch them to spray, or b... have a slower n/a car with retarded timing all the time.

the way i see it i can run the msd dis 2 programmable at zero then when i hit the arming switch it moves it over to the retarded timing then ultimately when i go to spray im in the clear.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:57 AM
so how will i know that the box is actually pulling timing, anyway?

and should i turn it on via the arming switch.. via the go baby go switch... or via a certain rpm/gear?

planning on a 35 shot to start then work my way to a 175 shot. hehe.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:33 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:so how will i know that the box is actually pulling timing, anyway?

and should i turn it on via the arming switch.. via the go baby go switch... or via a certain rpm/gear?

planning on a 35 shot to start then work my way to a 175 shot. hehe.

Can you tie it into the WOT switch on the nitrous kit?

FU Tuning

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:51 PM
This is good stuff, I have a dis box on a jbody and am looking to do the same lol, spray it, with all the tuning troubles i'm running into with it being a 95 to start with, I've been using the msd box and physically setting the cams, hell if i remember what everything is at though, car been sitting for a year. So any tuning info on the msd is getting my interest, and I would like to know how to tell if it really is pulling timing...only have used msd setups on older muscle car apps, so idk

Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:37 AM
ill get chris sweetnessgt to chime in. he seems to have a pretty good knowledge on the dis 2.

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:07 PM
I have the Eco so slightly different setup but works the same none-the-less. The DIS-2 can utilize ANY input to kick over to the retard timing table. The retard timing on the DIS-2 is subtracted from whatever the ECUs timing table is set to. In your situation I would have the input set to the DIS-2 piggybacking off the GO GO button. That way if you want to pick and choose what gears and when during each gear to spray, your timing will only be affected during those moments of spray. The ECUs does not add the timing back because for all it knows the timing is what it is since it is a command not an actual. The actual is generated by the DIS-2 while the ECU only believes the ICU is producing what it commands. If your running multiple stages with your nitrous you can do even cooler things with the DIS-2. The DIS-2 programmable is awesome and it saddens me that MSD has discontinued it. Hope ours never die

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:27 PM
ah sweet someone else that has one! lol

are you using the handheld device or just a laptop with software? i never got the software

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:01 PM
I use the software and my laptop. I can try making you a copy if I can. It's a tiny file so I may even be able to send it in an e-mail or something. Lemme know and I will see what I can do. I do all my timing tuning via HPT and then my retard timing map via DIS-2.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:20 PM
hell yea man thatd be awesome if you could.

basshead_69@hotmail.com

thanks!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:22 AM
I only have the MSD 6211 dipswitch version which could be triggered at a certain RPM and that's about it, I believe.

From what I've read about the 6212 with the software it's very capable - as mentioned I would set it to retard timing with your nitrous switch this way you aren't retarding your timing while off the spray. Also, the MSD gives quite a kick to the stock ignition even without all the extra toys.

Are you planning on using the 2 step too, Brad?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:09 PM
2 step on an auto? lol

i also have an actual quad 4 msd box thats basically a 1 of 2 ever made i could try too. its just a "dipswitch" version as you so elequently put it, chris.

i also have a team green MSD coil conversion so ive got all the toys i just need to put them into practice.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:39 PM
I wouldn't pair the DIS 2 with the coil conversion - does it utilize MSD's coil modules under the coils?

If so then they will fry in due time. This is why the DIS 2 is no longer on Sweetness, as I am running of of Tom's Team Green MSD coil conversions, and I didn't feel like eating coil pack modules every 2 weeks.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:06 PM
I tried to send it but none of my e-mails will let me because it because it is a .exe file and unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to do some kind of work around.

The P/N for just the software in case you would like to find it on the interwebs is P/N 9608

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:56 PM
You can download the software...

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:55 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:I wouldn't pair the DIS 2 with the coil conversion - does it utilize MSD's coil modules under the coils?

If so then they will fry in due time. This is why the DIS 2 is no longer on Sweetness, as I am running of of Tom's Team Green MSD coil conversions, and I didn't feel like eating coil pack modules every 2 weeks.

-Chris-

What? So there's not a good way to run them together efficiently? Any more info on the subject of using the DIS 2 and the coil swap together? The coil swap is happening right now on my car lol. Talk about timing. The DIS 2 was going to be next.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:27 PM
never heard that before. I ran the dis 2, coils/adapters on my 2.2l for years without issues. The last turbo 2.4l i built ran them for 2 years without issues also. is the 6212 stronger then the 6211? or are the coils just crappier then they used to be?
Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:11 PM
We have been running the coil adapters and coils for 3 years with out issue, all of those at 450+ whp.

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:17 PM
Not sure what the problem would be either.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search