3800sc 5 speed - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800sc 5 speed
Friday, September 14, 2012 10:01 AM
My car details and intro are in the newbie section.

I'm currently experiencing tuning issues. The car was built by race tech in 2001. It's obd1 on a 94 olds 88 comp. My wideband and the dyno show I'm going very lean in boost. I bought a moates cable and downloaded tuner pro. Come to find out, they never hooked up my obd port because it gets no power. So now I'm tryin to tune with just a wide band.

Aem won't data log on its own so I'm looking at getting a new one and selling the AEM. Innovate comes with a data loging software. Never used but hoping someone here may have? It says can log against RPM. I'm very ignorant when it comes to tuning. How would I read the rpm reading?

Also, I'm looking at Doing a full obd2 swap during winter. There's a 99 Buick at the junk yard that has the SC motor. Plan to get the full harness this weekend. Only $25 so can't go wrong. My concern is I have the 5 speed Getrag tranny and the Buick has a auto. What would I need to do with the wiring?

Another concern is the gauge cluster. I plan to snag the Buick gauge cluster just for a temp use but what are my options for a functioning cluster? Have to go custom?

Thanks for any help.
Dale

Re: 3800sc 5 speed
Friday, September 14, 2012 11:21 AM
I saw in your other post, you put a new fuel pump in the car. Did you get a fuel pump for a cavy? Because that won't be able to keep up with what the L67 demands at anything above idle and would explain why you are running lean

First 6-speed in a 3rd Gen
Friday, September 14, 2012 3:22 PM
Nic Crosby wrote:I saw in your other post, you put a new fuel pump in the car. Did you get a fuel pump for a cavy? Because that won't be able to keep up with what the L67 demands at anything above idle and would explain why you are running lean

his other post states a walbro pump, so it is not just a stock pump.

FU Tuning

Friday, September 14, 2012 5:21 PM
I got an exact copy of the previous pump in terms of part numbers. I actually replaced it because it was lean in hopes that was the problem but it ran off the other one for 10 years no problem
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:00 PM
So you're the one that has Sal's old car? I remember watching Joe wire that car up back in the day.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:44 PM
first of all a stock j pump can keep up to a 3800 stock put the wide band on it you can see it lean out above 4500 on a stock motor

read the sticky in the 3rd gen

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:27 PM
Sal? Bought the car in Corning NY but maybe same guy by different name?

Right now I'm fighting to get good data so I can get the tune done. I have the zeitronix working great but can't get rpm read. It possible to tap into tach behind the cluster?
Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:47 PM
tap into the tach wire off the icm

And Matt is correct, stock jbody pump will work with a STOCK 3800, as soon as you throw some mods to it, it is upgrade time, I found that out quick.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:12 PM
theres a white wire (forget the pin) on the ICM below coil packs most 3800s don't have the wire there. you can pin it in and get the tach signal

isaak this is how i did yours

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, November 02, 2012 4:35 PM
Yup, works good, no issues.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search