Is my car chipped? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is my car chipped?
Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:58 PM
I've got a 95 cavalier 5 speed with a 2.2, not the z24, it's been debadged, but i ran the vin and it's the base model. I'm just confused as to why my cavalier is so fast compared to any cavalier i've ever raced. i was out of town about a month ago at a stop light next to a z24 cavalier, it was a fairly easy race. i've also raced a few grand prix's and i have never lost to one. even highway racing they cannot keep up, the faces on the drivers are priceless. my car keeps up with gtp's no problem. i asked the previous owner if it was chipped and he had no idea as he traded a motorcycle for it from some random guy. so to further my investigation i decided to see what kind of gas mileage i would get, i went on a 300 mile round trip road trip (about 20 or so is in town driving, and i wasn't taking it easy in town either) i calculated 39.5 mpg's. i was very surprised because it's rated from the epa at 33 highway. in my home town we have a stretch of road from a mailbox to a bridge that is an exact 1/4 mile and i pulled a 17 first run, just slightly slower then my buddies 99 grand prix gtp. first 0-60 run was 8 flat im sure i could do better. so my question is, why is this car so fast? im assuming it's chipped but somebody give me some affirmative information.

Re: Is my car chipped?
Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:06 PM
no its not chipped thats just what the 2.2L runs and if your slightly slower then your buddies GTP hes fawking with you or he sucks at driving because a stock zed is slower then a GTP.
you
120hp
115ft lbs

gtp
240hp
280 ft lbs

YOU AIN'T GONNA WIN unless he sucks at drivin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:38 PM
i was driving the GTP actually, had it in performance shift mode, pedal to the floor and it pulled a 16.7, that's pretty damn close for a cavalier, monte carlos with 3.8's cant keep up, as well as impalas, grand prix's etc.. honda civics sure as hell can't keep up. something HAS to be up with this cavalier, i can do a second gear scratch! even a decently long screech if i hit it just right. my brothers girlfriends cavalier (2000) feels super slow compared to mine, i've driven it a few times.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:40 PM
it does have exhaust though, just a muffler. the rest is stock, i doubt that has anything to do with it, when my auto tech classes start back up next semester im definitely going to dyno it and see what kind of horse power it puts out.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:56 PM
Not sure if trolling.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:08 PM
i'm not trolling, i'll post a video
Friday, November 02, 2012 2:59 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:no its not chipped thats just what the 2.2L runs and if your slightly slower then your buddies GTP hes fawking with you or he sucks at driving because a stock zed is slower then a GTP.
you
120hp
115ft lbs

gtp
240hp
280 ft lbs

YOU AIN'T GONNA WIN unless he sucks at drivin

Reminds me of the kid that pulled up next to my GTP with a Cav. And he started putting on his stupid racing harness (fag). So I laughed while he got walked. No performance shift mode, and 87 octane too.

All in all, I think OP hasn't a clue. Even if it was "chipped" that's not going to get him enough power to beat. A stock GTP can run a 14.9-15.1 range. Typically people are getting mid 15's out of them though. If the driver is hitting 16.7, they're doing it wrong.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, November 02, 2012 4:07 AM
So your saying a 17 sec 1/4 mile is fast... Actually that's slow and about where you should be with a 2200 your car is normal and your friends just suck at driving or something is very wrong with the GTP.
Friday, November 02, 2012 9:47 AM
well that doesnt explain why i can beat every grand prix i come across, plus my roomate has a 300m with a 3.5 250 hp and 245 pound ft of torque, in the quarter i beat him by a cars length.
Friday, November 02, 2012 10:05 AM
Ben Dyer wrote:well that doesnt explain why i can beat every grand prix i come across, plus my roomate has a 300m with a 3.5 250 hp and 245 pound ft of torque, in the quarter i beat him by a cars length.

because the 300m weighs about three times as much as your cavalier and has a chrysler automatic transmission.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:28 AM
I want to see a picture of your engine bay.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:32 AM
Ben Dyer wrote:well that doesnt explain why i can beat every grand prix i come across, plus my roomate has a 300m with a 3.5 250 hp and 245 pound ft of torque, in the quarter i beat him by a cars length.

Yeah.... You'd definitely get spanked by my Trailblazer. Those GTP's aren't even racing you. I think it's that gas costs too much money for them to waste it on someone who thinks they're hard.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:45 AM
Wasn't 95 when they had OBD 1.5 and it could not be reflashed or chipped?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:53 AM
I know my 95 had the obd2 port under the dash and not the old style odb1
Monday, November 05, 2012 12:36 PM
if you read what i typed, i said all grand prix's not gtp's and my brother has a trailblazer with a 5.3, it's close but i win. i don't think i'm hard in a cavalier buddy im just having fun.
Monday, November 05, 2012 12:41 PM
all that im saying here is that my car seems to be quite a bit faster then a cavalier should be. even the z24 cavaliers or sunfire gt's can't keep up. while it is close a stock 2.2 shouldn't stand a chance against a 2.4...
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:05 AM
Ben Dyer wrote:if you read what i typed, i said all grand prix's not gtp's and my brother has a trailblazer with a 5.3, it's close but i win. i don't think i'm hard in a cavalier buddy im just having fun.

So, you're impressed with a 17 second 1/4?

I mean, you're on here acting like your car, under the assumption that it's chipped, has had a minimum of 25% gain in power off that mod alone. Giving it more power than a 2.4L car. Then considering that your car has a steeper FDR than the 2.4 car with 5spd, meaning you need more power...... You aren't serious, are you?

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:31 AM
My base model bone stock 2.2 with an Auto ran 16.8 in the 1/4...

#wutmakesyousospecial?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:32 AM
Bring it up here to my home track. Guarantee it will run high 17- low 18.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:05 PM
OP - "monte carlos with 3.8's cant keep up, as well as impalas, grand prix's etc.. honda civics sure as hell can't keep up"

Well folks, there you have it. GM accidentally sold a unique one-off 1995 cavalier and he seemed to get a hold of it some how! It was a test vehicle that was going to be sold but the LT1 powered Camaros and Corvettes would have had far too much invested trying to keep up. So while GM thought they scrapped all the 95 CavyBeasts, they must have missed one! See what it'll go for on eBay, the vin should reveal to any collector its true value, it'll practically sell itself!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:32 PM

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:05 AM
Ben Dyer wrote:all that im saying here is that my car seems to be quite a bit faster then a cavalier should be. even the z24 cavaliers or sunfire gt's can't keep up. while it is close a stock 2.2 shouldn't stand a chance against a 2.4...

Having just gone from an '01 base model Cav to a '98 Z24, both 5-speed, I can definitely say that a Z24 would walk a base model with absolutely no contest. A Z24 with a driver who knows how to work a stick shift would be leaving you behind before he hit third gear.

And regular Grand Prix's are slow as hell. I beat my mom in a drag with my stock '01. But think about it.

115HP
2700lbs
5-speed

175HP
3200lbs
Automatic

Grand Prix's are heavy as hell and have automatic transmissions, thus robbing more power. I'd be surprised if my '01 even gets 100whp, which I doubt. Both the GP and the Cav have 150k or so miles and I maintain them both very well.

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:30 AM
I highly doubt you are keeping up or even beating half of what you are saying. The honda's I could believe depending on what they are. Also sorry to say I've had a few 2.2's, worked on a few and drove a plenty. They don't run nearly that good and with it being the older 2.2 I believe they don't feel to have as much as a 2200. Where sorry to say my 2200 base sunfire with intake and exhaust would lose to the 2.4 i had in my 99 all day long even if it was stock. Though if you think your faster then a gtp you can run my 99 with a smaller motor then the gtp and find out if you are lol....
Monday, November 12, 2012 4:12 AM
2fast4u88 wrote:Though if you think your faster then a gtp you can run my 99 with a smaller motor then the gtp and find out if you are lol....

No fair. Mine with the same motor would outrun my GTP.

But now that I know Grand Prix's are slower than 2.2 J-bodies I understand why.

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:39 AM
lol True but I have seen a few stock gtp's pull 14's so depending it wouldn't be much faster. Though on the street or street tires for that matter I don't hook for nothing really either lol, How ever I just noticed he said he keeps up with gtp's then turned around and said he was slower then his buddy's gtp. So I shouldn't get him by much if at all lol. A gtp that runs 16's or 17's is just well funny none the less. How ever I will still agree he is full of it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search