To tune or not to tune......... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
To tune or not to tune.........
Monday, March 17, 2014 1:20 PM
Need some advice from j body experts. I am running a 2002 cavy with ld9 with oil pump swap. Car is being run on a 1/2 mile dirt track. Question is .... is it really worth tuning car to gain more power. Is there anything to be gained? Running full stock NA pretty much wot in second gear the entire time. I just dont want to throw $ at it for only minimal gain. Thanks for the input.

Z24 2002 Cavalier

Re: To tune or not to tune.........
Monday, March 17, 2014 4:35 PM
Well depends how far you want to bend the rules. There are other factory cams you could install and get some more power out of it via a tune. Also who would tune it?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:11 PM
I say yes.

I know of a bone stock Ecotec that gained 8whp off just a tune. That is impressive. That you will see in track times.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:36 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:I say yes.

I know of a bone stock Ecotec that gained 8whp off just a tune. That is impressive. That you will see in track times.

This guy ^^^^^^^^ tuning is deffanitly a good idea. And in a enviroment like a track were rules are stiff there are plenty of ways to get a advantage over the other guys. Tuning is deffanitly one of those ways!

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:23 PM
cody nobbs wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:I say yes.

This guy ^^^^^^^^ tuning is deffanitly a good idea. And in a enviroment like a track were rules are stiff there are plenty of ways to get a advantage over the other guys. Tuning is deffanitly one of those ways!

x3

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice. We ran car a few weeks ago and it performed well but a lil more power might just push us over the top. Does anyone have suggestions on a tune shop in the southern Ohio or Kentucky area. I know a bench tune is just a waste so i would like to find someone to do a live tune. Also i have an automatic ecu does anyone know if that has a more aggresive fuel/timing table than the manual ecu? Just trying to explore all options. And track rules are like the pirate code more of a guideline than law.

Z24 2002 Cavalier

Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:03 AM
Being a auto you would likely gain alot from tuning to the tranny settings setting as well.

Ryan P&P Tuning is the closest I know of to you.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:07 AM
Thanks for the input I forgot to add that it is a five speed. And we run in third gear mainly. Haven't figured tire setuptto run in second yet.

Z24 2002 Cavalier

Saturday, September 06, 2014 8:34 AM
so what about a chip? are they worth it? do they actually work?
Saturday, September 06, 2014 12:10 PM
Erik Stuewer wrote:so what about a chip? are they worth it? do they actually work?

Our cars do not have chips.

FU Tuning

Re: To tune or not to tune.........rain
Wednesday, October 08, 2014 2:16 PM
There is a guy in galloway ohio that does dyno tuning. His name is brain. You should be able to find him via google dyno brain galloway ohio.

I Love My J ♡

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search