Swapping computers to tune - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swapping computers to tune
Friday, May 02, 2014 12:08 PM
This might be a retarded question, but how does one start a car after swapping from a GM Reflash computer to a "stock" one to tune?

I will have the car set up as is with the 2.5 bar map and all that, will it start after a relearn on the stock NA computer?

Re: Swapping computers to tune
Friday, May 02, 2014 2:23 PM
Well it will run fine if you have the stock injectors in it. Otherwise its going to be very "off".

I wouldn't suggest driving it until the injector constant is changed to the injectors you have and maybe pull a few degrees of timing.

Im just learning to tune so maybe one of the guys that know more will chime in.

Any time ive done a pcm swap ive had to do the relearn.
Friday, May 02, 2014 2:46 PM
i know about the relearn. My question is this I guess...

they will be doing a tune from scratch....can they change the VIN's in HPT and the ECU, so all the computers like each other, or will they have to write the tune, and then i do the relearn, or should i do the relearn first, and the flash the tune or what?

Friday, May 02, 2014 3:18 PM
I haven't tried to start a car with mismatching VIN's in the computers, but it shouldn't be a problem. If it was, then the L61 guys running the LD9 ECU's would be screwed because I don't believe you can change the VIN on an LD9 to match an L61 car. Whoever is tuning your car with HPT will be able to change the VIN stored in your ECU when they flash it.

Friday, May 02, 2014 10:35 PM
Ryan and I always just load a base tune on 1st with the VATs disabled, correct injector constant, and a safe timing guess. We have never had to do a relearn. I believe it is the VATs, i know there are a few things he turns off immediately.

Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:03 AM
^^ Correct. The VATS is the whole reason you have to do the relearn. So if you delete it first thing then you wont have to do the relearn process.
Saturday, May 03, 2014 7:47 AM
Good info!
Saturday, May 03, 2014 10:42 AM
Well then they should know that when they tune. They do a ton of Vetts and Cobalts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search