Any way to ID 99 PCM - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any way to ID 99 PCM
Monday, July 28, 2014 4:35 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

The PCM in my '97 Sunfire (2.4) died, I replaced it with a used '99 PCM supplied by a local yard, after firing it it up the check engine light stays on, it idles rough and smells really rich. The idle seems to smooth out a little bit after 5-10 minutes of sitting, goes back after restarting the car. From the research I have done my understanding is that during the '99 model year the 2.4 received high-impedance fuel injectors among other updates. Couple questions,

Could the incorrect '99 PCM be giving me these results?
Is there a way to determine if the "new" PCM is set up for the high-impedance injectors?

I did some calling to a couple near-by GM Dealerships and talked with the service techs, the most they could tell me is if the PCM was compatible, based in the part number.
I figured the local yard would know the difference between the '99 PCM, so I didn't think twice about picking it up there, maybe I was wrong.

I have the VIN of the car that donated the 'new' PCM if that is helpful.
I apologize I am new to the computer side of vehicles, trying to figure it all out.

If anyone can help put this in understandable terms for a newbie or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks ORG!

Re: Any way to ID 99 PCM
Friday, August 01, 2014 3:27 AM
See answers in blue...

If it is a 99 Auto PCM I may want to buy it from you...

alias wrote:Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

The PCM in my '97 Sunfire (2.4) died, I replaced it with a used '99 PCM supplied by a local yard, after firing it it up the check engine light stays on, it idles rough and smells really rich. The idle seems to smooth out a little bit after 5-10 minutes of sitting, goes back after restarting the car. From the research I have done my understanding is that during the '99 model year the 2.4 received high-impedance fuel injectors among other updates. Couple questions,

Could the incorrect '99 PCM be giving me these results?YES!!!
Is there a way to determine if the "new" PCM is set up for the high-impedance injectors?YES, the easiest is looking at the actual tune. If the car started on the 99 PCM i'm sure it is all kinds of pissed off.

I did some calling to a couple near-by GM Dealerships and talked with the service techs, the most they could tell me is if the PCM was compatible, based in the part number. The dealer is wrong. The 99-02 PCMs are the same P/Ns. The 99 and 97 ARE NOT the same P/N last I looked. You can how ever flash a 99 PCM with a 97 tune. That should fix half your issues,but I would get the correct
PCM.

I figured the local yard would know the difference between the '99 PCM, so I didn't think twice about picking it up there, maybe I was wrong.Take the 99 back and exchange for a 97 or 98 PCM.....

I have the VIN of the car that donated the 'new' PCM if that is helpful.What is it, and I can tell if it is actually a 99 PCM.
I apologize I am new to the computer side of vehicles, trying to figure it all out.

If anyone can help put this in understandable terms for a newbie or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks ORG!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, August 06, 2014 3:43 AM
From the VIN you sent me...

So....they gave you a 99 PCM, but for a 2.2L LN2 Engine.....not even a 2.4l LD9. I would be marching back there and yelling. Everything about the PCM is wrong.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 07, 2014 9:29 AM
Thanks again for the information. Much more helpful than every place I had called.

I will send you pictures and numbers.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:03 PM
as I understand it the j-bodys got the 99-02 style throughout the entire year. the malibus and grand ams, etc got the half year changeover. so, a 99 z24 would have to have the high impedance stuff.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:08 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:as I understand it the j-bodys got the 99-02 style throughout the entire year. the malibus and grand ams, etc got the half year changeover. so, a 99 z24 would have to have the high impedance stuff.

Agreed 100%

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:51 AM
Great! Thank you for the help!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search