wideband o2 questions - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wideband o2 questions
Monday, March 02, 2015 12:04 AM
Hey I kno what wideband o2 sensors does, but is it really worth the money? I have a few bolt on parts including a header and plan to go slight boost in the future. I read u have to have wb with a header? Would my car work fine without a wb? Is a wb o2 something that can be tuned by a local garage? What brand is recommended for our js? Does this mount before or after catalytic? I don't have a bung on my header...

ReD RaiN

Re: wideband o2 questions
Monday, March 02, 2015 2:21 AM
Wibebands accurately measure the Air Fuel Ratio and are very important to have in a modified car. It has to be installed before the cat to read properly. The AEM Uego is a very popular one.

Monday, March 02, 2015 5:38 AM
I personally like my Innovate Motosports MTX-l, but the AEMUego is a simpler setup...and is preferred by most people.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 02, 2015 5:04 PM
If your going to boost, then get a wideband.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 02, 2015 10:46 PM
Thanks guys

ReD RaiN
Tuesday, March 03, 2015 11:12 PM
Important to note the wideband does not replace the stock narrow O2, it is used in addition to. So if your header does not have an O2 bung, one will need to be added for the stock sensor. Whichever wideband you go with will have some sort of mounting instructions for the O2 sensor like how far from the exhaust port and and what mounting angle is ideal.

Friday, March 06, 2015 9:27 PM
Great info, didn't realize angle mattered. Question bout the header.. Is it alright to mount stock o2 on the adapter right after the collector? Also might be a dumb question without knowing results but what would a preferred f/a tune be for a n/a with with a few bolt-ons. I doubt any tune shops around here know to much, especially a j

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:30 AM
Yea it's fine to mount the stock O2 there, that's what it's there for. The angle of the sensor matters so that fluids (water, unburnt fuel) don't collect on the sensor and cause it to malfunction.

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 12:28 AM
Does the wideband need to be tuned? If so how would i go about doing so? If it's not something i can do roughly what would it cost?

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 1:20 AM
No tuning needed. A few like the Innovate wide bands need to be recalibrated every so often, but others like the AEM Uego are just install and forget.

Monday, June 01, 2015 12:02 AM
Another question guys, how many o2 sensors should there be in total using a wideband. Would it go, stock on header, wideband, then another stock before the cat or no?

ReD RaiN

Monday, June 01, 2015 6:11 AM
3 if you are trying to keep upstream and downstream

wideband placement needs to be within 18 inches of either the manifold flange or turbo flange

Monday, June 01, 2015 10:34 PM
Okay, so I know what upstream and downstream means in terms of location, but I dont understand what u mean by trying to "keep" upstream or downstream. Also how/where does the wideband connector connect if there's only 2 original o2 connections?

ReD RaiN
Tuesday, June 02, 2015 12:26 AM
If you're going to run in open loop, you don't need the upstream O2 sensor, which means your are not keeping your upstream/downstream configuration. If you're running in open loop, you can put your wideband where your upstream would be. If Ontario requires an emissions test, you likely will need to be in closed loop to pass. You can have another O2 bung added (welded) to the down pipe for your wideband. Alternatively, AEM sells a weldless add-a-bung system that only requires you to drill a hole in your exhaust and add their clamp/bung assembly. The wideband sensor has its own stand alone wiring that connects to the gauge.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the help. Who knew adding a header would be such a pain in the *ss. Unfortunately here in Ontario we do require an e-test, so closed loop (whatever that is) seems like tis the way to go.

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, June 03, 2015 6:41 AM
Keeping you upstream O2 sensor on a street car should always be done if possible.

Down stream O2 sensor can be turned off with tu ing software.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 03, 2015 10:40 PM
Hopefully one last question. Is it possible to run a wideband without using a gauge? From what I understand no, cuz it has the module in the gauge correct? Wondering cuzI seen alot of them sold with gauges but none of the guages I want, so would half to buy either one without a gauge or both bought separate if cant be used as stand alone

ReD RaiN
Thursday, June 04, 2015 12:00 PM
if you don't use a gauge you need a way to monitor output.. you would need a standalone or hp tuners

Thursday, June 04, 2015 11:48 PM
Thanks again. Hopefully get my car bk up and running soon!

ReD RaiN
Sunday, June 14, 2015 3:29 PM
So yes you can buy a wideband without a gauge it it will function, but without a gauge how will you know what your AFR's are?

I know my Innovate wideband with gauge came with different faces and rings for it. So I can change the look if I wanted to.

Do yourself a favor get one with a gauge.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search