Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU
Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:03 PM
I'm creating this post to get feedback and share some info on running the Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU so you can use the LD9 Gm reflash for tuning.

What I know:

That you can run a LD9 reflash on a OHV ECU. Ryan has his car and his wifes turbo OHV's running the on the GM reflash for the LD9's.
I know you can run 2200 coils on a Ecotec. I few people have done this.
Ecotec and OHV/LD9 sensor's are 5 volt reference sensor's (like TPS, IAC).
CPS on a OHV/LD9 and Eco share the same connector.
IAT, Temp sender share the same connector on the OHV/LD9/Eco
LD9 2 bar map will fit the L61 intake manifold (but requires the orange grommet)
Will need to credit the OHV ECU and also the GM reflash ( I already have 2 GM LD9 reflashes credited on my HPT)

What I do not know:

Which a Ecotec start using a OHV ECU? I think it will and somethings will be a little different in the tune like timing, fuel.
Did any OHV have a 2 wire knock sensor like the LD9 (00+) or Eco?

I'm sure I'm missing some things here. Today myself and my friend went to the local junkyard. He and I already have a 2001 OHV wiring harness and ECU, and he has a Ecotec Turbo. I have tuned it with HPT, but have had issues with it, but it does get 31mpg and runs decent. We have decided to give this a try because ti would be a better tune, and we have most parts laying around. We collected a few connectors from a Eco so he can wire them into the OHV harness to connect to his Eco.

FU Tuning

Re: Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU
Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:50 PM
i too have been wondering this and trying to collect parts for it cause im having trouble with the tune on my car 03 eco turbo

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:00 PM
Well we are about to find out , I'm in the garage pulling the harness from the spare 2200 and then going to start wiring up that harness to the spare Eco motor . Will post back later

Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:33 PM
listening..please share the info.
Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:39 PM
You know I was just logging in to start this same thread. anyone with the ld9 reflash and the car sitting around, try and see if it will take an ecotec vin. If it does then this swap is compete win, if not then it'll be a pain come inspection time to swap pcm's.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, October 04, 2010 10:55 AM
Leafy wrote:You know I was just logging in to start this same thread. anyone with the ld9 reflash and the car sitting around, try and see if it will take an ecotec vin. If it does then this swap is compete win, if not then it'll be a pain come inspection time to swap pcm's.

I can try this, but why the VIN number?

FU Tuning

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:31 AM
Subscribe....

I hope this works!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 04, 2010 11:56 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
Leafy wrote:You know I was just logging in to start this same thread. anyone with the ld9 reflash and the car sitting around, try and see if it will take an ecotec vin. If it does then this swap is compete win, if not then it'll be a pain come inspection time to swap pcm's.

In my state the VIn in the computer needs to match the Vin on the car and registration for the car to pass inspection.

Monday, October 04, 2010 11:57 AM

Really no need to... If you have a Model/Year license for both the PCM you are tuning on, and the original PCM, you can rewrite the VIN afterwards. If you don't have model year licenses, this is going to cost you big time, and give you possibilities of VIN/OS Mismatch errors...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, October 04, 2010 1:32 PM
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:

Really no need to... If you have a Model/Year license for both the PCM you are tuning on, and the original PCM, you can rewrite the VIN afterwards. If you don't have model year licenses, this is going to cost you big time, and give you possibilities of VIN/OS Mismatch errors...

TO make sure I understand properly. I will have a 2 credit license on the 2200 ECU, plus a 2 credit license on the GM reflash, plus a 2 credit license on the VIN of the Eco car. SO I should be able to rewrite the VIN number of the Eco to the 2200 ECU that will then have the LD9 GM reflash on it correct?

FU Tuning

Monday, October 04, 2010 3:47 PM
Do you know if the crank triggerwheel on the Ecotec is compatible with the LD9 PCM's ignition profile?

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Monday, October 04, 2010 3:55 PM
I boost, therefore I am wrote:Do you know if the crank triggerwheel on the Ecotec is compatible with the LD9 PCM's ignition profile?

No we dont Bill but I'm sure you can tell us .. if it will not work then I will just put a crank trigger on the crank pulley , no more problem

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:08 AM
I think all reluctor wheels on 95-05 jbodies are the same 6+1 pattern. Just pull the sensor out and rotate the motor to make sure the reference tooth is in the same position on both motors.

Some local guys and i were brainstorming this a while ago. You have ignition covered, so after that if's a matter of wiring and tuning. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. What defeated it for us was giving HPT all that money for credits, as well as lack of a suitable test subject lol. None of us could afford the downtime at the time.

John, would you mind elaborating on the issues you've had with the eco turbo on the 01 2200 ecu? I really hope this works out, and if there's anything we can do hit me up

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:30 AM
Quote:

John, would you mind elaborating on the issues you've had with the eco turbo on the 01 2200 ecu? I really hope this works out, and if there's anything we can do hit me up

Do you mean the issues tuning the Eco on the Eco ECU? Of course we all know it is TPS based fueling, but this car has been the hardest for me to tune. At times we have thought we were a ECU issue, or wiring issues. You can get it to run good, but then it changes on you. Just weird. We want to really push the stock motor and this working would make it much easier.

I know a few people have talked about doing this and we were waiting to see if they would get it to work. Since we have most the parts already we decided let's try it. If it works great and we will not be out much, if it does not, well we won't be out much.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 5:40 AM
Ah, my mistake, i thought you meant someone else had already transplanted the 2200 ecu and it gave problems. I just misunderstood you.

Mmmmmm 14psi of tune-ability on an eco with a basically OEM ECU.

So this is looking way into the future, but if you get this to work, i'd imagine you could get great results using the 2.5bar TMAP, or even a 3-bar MAP. The resolution lost on a 2-bar system would be minimal, then you're good to 22 and 30 psi respectively.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:02 AM
Well I Started pulling the Harness from the Eco lastnight so today I plan to start the Install of the 2200 harness ..
I will need to drill and tap a spot on the block for the knock sensor . but Ive had to do that before on swaps we have done so no biggie.

John when you come out Thursday bring that MSD set up plz

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:33 AM
I know DTP was running his eco off the LD9 ECU so I don't see why this couldn't work.

Sub'd for results

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:34 AM
How much easier or harder would it be to pin the eco harness to the 2200/LD9 PCM?

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 6:36 AM
I think they way to go might me to grab an extra eco pcm and pull the connector out of it then make a transfer harness. Then the swap back, if needed, isn't a pain in the ass. Its just a tiny bit more work than hardwiring the ld9 connector in.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:23 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote: The resolution lost on a 2-bar system would be minimal, then you're good to 22 and 30 psi respectively.
Not so much... The LD9 Reflash already has lost resolution.... Its much easier to control, but its a hack in itself!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:36 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote: The resolution lost on a 2-bar system would be minimal, then you're good to 22 and 30 psi respectively.
Not so much... The LD9 Reflash already has lost resolution.... Its much easier to control, but its a hack in itself!
haha GM hack FTL. But what is the space between the load columns on the reflash? 25kpa per column? less? I don't have access to the reflash right now, but if there are about ten evenly spaced load columns, i would make it work

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:54 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:
haha GM hack FTL. But what is the space between the load columns on the reflash? 25kpa per column? less? I don't have access to the reflash right now, but if there are about ten evenly spaced load columns, i would make it work
Agreed! It can work...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:19 AM
Actually, I didn't know the answer to the reluctor wheel question, but it appears you folks do, so cool. Now I do too, thanks! It still pains me that other Ecotecs (Kappa, Delta, etc.) use different reluctor wheel schemes and are not a direct fit for J-body, but what can ya do.

While this is an interesting concept, I agree...all those HPT credits sure do add up. Seems to me you fellas might be better off ganging up to get that unlocked Ecotec TMAP from Trifecta!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:54 AM
I boost, therefore I am wrote:Actually, I didn't know the answer to the reluctor wheel question, but it appears you folks do, so cool. Now I do too, thanks! It still pains me that other Ecotecs (Kappa, Delta, etc.) use different reluctor wheel schemes and are not a direct fit for J-body, but what can ya do.

While this is an interesting concept, I agree...all those HPT credits sure do add up. Seems to me you fellas might be better off ganging up to get that unlocked Ecotec TMAP from Trifecta!
Any eco bottom end is just a 75$ trigger wheel away . I'm partial to the LE5 - cheapest and well proven as you know

I've been asking around about local (PA) inspection compliance, and apparently a VIN mis-match between the ECU and the car is not a big deal. We need no CEL's, and readiness checks to pass. Check your local laws

So bare minimum would be 4 credits between the ECU and the reflash, the harness and ecu, map sensor, and the coil swap. I figure 300-500 and some time depending where you get stuff and what coils you go with.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:17 PM
Quote:

How much easier or harder would it be to pin the eco harness to the 2200/LD9 PCM?

To me it would be harder.

Quote:

But what is the space between the load columns on the reflash? 25kpa per column? less?

For the high RPM file it is 20KPS. Goes from 40kpa to 200kpa.

Low RPM it is 10KPA from 40 to 140 and then 20kpa to 200.

Quote:

Well Bill in our case it is not alot of credits. I currently run a GM reflash on my 01 Z24 so it is already credited. I also have another GM reflash that I have tuned and it has credits. So we will have to buy 1 set of credits for the 2200 ECU.

We also had the 2200 ECU and harness laying around for like 5 years now. Robert spent $15 for the pigtails we needed Sunday. So not really a bad deal. IF it works.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search