Ecotec PCM plug and play? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec PCM plug and play?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:51 PM
OK so I need to find a stock PCM out of a junkyard for a project and im wondering whether or not I can just plug it in and drive off or it needs to be reflashed with the vin?

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: Ecotec PCM plug and play?
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 1:34 PM
If it's an identical car, same tranny, year, etc., It should work.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:26 PM
you have to have the BCM also , they are VIN matched

also youll have to leanr the theft code when you swap them

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:01 PM
WTF!! Is GM that anal about their cars that you have to have all that stuff too?? Just to make the ECU work? Seriously. Don't get me wrong, but... Seriously.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:06 PM
yeah , its all part of anti theft

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:55 PM
DAMN

well all i will have is the ECU, can i take it to a dealer and have them set it up

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:49 PM
It's BS, I can work around the Anti-Theft with NO problem just send it to me. lol
How did I do MY swap.
I used the ECU from a 2002 Eco powered 5 speed.
BCM was from a 2003 Eco auto with it's cluster, not that it mattered.
After I KOed the Theft system, I had nice 20040 miles on my 1998 Cavy, it kinda sucks cause the motor had 12K on it so it shows more, but it's cool cause the chassis had like 87K on it. lol

It pays off to have really good friends at GM dealer, and he will tell me anything cause he knows that I will never get rid of my car, cause he has seen me bring it from 16 to 14's, and the same with the LD9 and 16 to 12's with Eco.
Also, your insurace keeps track of your mileage, so if you even DO make it work make sure when you go somewhere to give them correct mileage, from the last mile on the old BCM + the new miles.
They will try to get you for odometer fraud. lol

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:15 AM
Quote:

WTF!! Is GM that anal about their cars that you have to have all that stuff too?? Just to make the ECU work? Seriously. Don't get me wrong, but... Seriously.

Yes, they are. Another part of the reason they do this is to keep us from doing what we do... tampering with the engine management system.

Quote:

Also, your insurace keeps track of your mileage, so if you even DO make it work make sure when you go somewhere to give them correct mileage, from the last mile on the old BCM + the new miles.

If you put a sticker on the door jamb that indicates the odometer has been replaced and lists the mileage at the time of replacement then you're completely legal.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search