Lets set it straight....does resetting the PCM - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lets set it straight....does resetting the PCM
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:21 AM
really do anything? I have pulled relays, fuses, disconnected the battery and left it overnight. Next morning I go and start it up, the time is flashing but the radio presets are there and the CD picks up where I left it.

So something is being stored.

I know the modern PCM can adapt to a very small degree.....but really now. Does it help or do anything at all?

Sure I "think" I feel a difference, butt that can be attributed to the ol butt dyno.

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)

Re: Lets set it straight....does resetting the PCM
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:27 AM
i dont think it does alot if any anything

i think alot of people are still going buy the old pcm standards , cause they would reset back to the main tables when the battery was disconnected , and also they cleared codes this way also

the obd2 systems are more sufistacated

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:31 AM
since i hit the wrong dam button , lol

the obd2 systems do not react like the older obd and obd1 systems

but this topic will get a bunch of people saying other wise

but when i worked at chevy as a tech , disconnecting the battery did nothing , all codes and maping were the same before it was disconected , and the tech 2 has the ability to reset all the tables

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:34 AM
are you sure you disconnected the battery ??

when i disconnect my battery i have to setup everything again on the stereo... do you have an aftermarket stero or not?

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:39 AM
I think its all a misconception. The manufacturers adjust a certain tolerance in the hard tables for variances in both parts and operating conditions. I think people mistake this as the PCM adapting. It only sees readings. If the readings arent what it wants to see WITHIN those tolerances after so many times......it will set a DTC.

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:39 AM
the presets will be there but the cd shouldnt be in the same spot and yes the clock will need resetting. i was told by my automotive class instructor to disconnect the negative and then touch the undone negative to the positive on the battery it will discharge the capasitors in the ECU he said. has worked for me everytime now, it resets everything in the computer codes and all.

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:30 AM
Clearing the DTC's will reset the tables, but only if done through a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery doesn't reset the DTC, it is still stored in memory, but the computer loses the continuous and non-continuous test results, so the MIL is off until the tests are completed again.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:59 AM
Shifted... maybe you can help me...

First off I have a 2002 Cav 5 speed Ecotec, now I've had the idle recall done on my car which seemd to have fixed my problem for a while but only to go back to idling around 500rpm whenever the clutch is depressed or in neutral until I come to a 'complete' stop and then it will attempt to level off at 1000rpm. Now this isn't a thread jack per say because I notice after I've disconnected the battery for any period of time, it will clear my MIL light (P0440) and the car will drive perfectly fine for the first ignition sequence (meaning, after I reconnect the battery and start the car and drive it will be fine, perfect, driving like it's brand new) but then after I shut it down and go to drive again it goes back to idling weirdly.

I am at work right now but I will start a new thread tonight with a video of what happens if that would help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search