Ecotec PCM Reflash Options? (Any GM techs/other?) - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec PCM Reflash Options? (Any GM techs/other?)
Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a PCM reflash on a spare 04 Cavalier PCM I bought. I'll swap it with my stock PCM once the reflash is finished. I know JBP does PCM reflashes, and I may end up going that route, but their high price, and apparent general lack of tuning knowledge kind of scares me. If there are any GM techs out there who know what they are doing, and would be willing to do a performance reflash to match my mods list(no boost or nitrous yet, major n/a work though), or if anyone knows anywhere else I could get this done, please let me know. I'd be willing to pay, of course, so if you are/or know someone who has the equipment/knowledge to do this, please let me know. jason_easton@yahoo.com

Re: Ecotec PCM Reflash Options? (Any GM techs/oth
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:55 PM
hate to burst your bubble but gm tech 2 can not reflash the way you are thinking. all it can do is reflash to the most current updates from gm. still the spark advance, injector pluse width, rev limiter and governer do not change. other than that pretty much nothing else as well is updatable. gotta go aftermarket
Thursday, May 19, 2005 5:19 AM
Hmm, that sucks. Thanks for clearing that up though. Any other aftermarket reflash options other than Jbody Performance?

Thursday, May 19, 2005 5:21 AM
Not yet.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, May 20, 2005 2:47 AM
Hmm, I know you guys are working on a programmer/interface/flasher, how's that going? Once you guys get the software down, maybe you could do reflashes, even if your hardware product isn't perfected yet? This is rather frustrating..

Friday, May 20, 2005 3:15 AM
The hardware isn't the problem. The hardware is actually ready to do reflashes, the problem is cracking through the GM Security code to unlock the PCM for uploading and downloading. That is the current stage we are at. After that we need to write a boot loader and then we are in business

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, May 20, 2005 4:46 PM
Personally I think that a reflash isn't all that great. How do they really know how much fuel you need? How do they know how much spark would give you the best performance? They don't. You are better off finding an SAFC-2 and getting an MSD DIS-2 ignition system and doing it yourself and to YOUR likings and YOUR specifications.

As far as the rev limiter & speed limiter...if you have that much power that you need a higher rev & higher speed limit, than you should invest in a Stand-alone (AEM EMS).

For minor work, I think a MSD ignition & SAFC-2 will do the job.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:07 AM
If you are going all motor, you need higher rpm to make it all worthwhile. Standalone is unnecessary, if all you need to do is tweak the timing, and bump the limiter. It's not good for reverting to street legal status either.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:32 AM
04firetec wrote:If you are going all motor, you need higher rpm to make it all worthwhile. Standalone is unnecessary, if all you need to do is tweak the timing, and bump the limiter. It's not good for reverting to street legal status either.

That's very true, if your going all motor, you need more RPMs to work with. Right now there is no other fix to a higher rev limiter than a Standalone so I guess you either gotta go that route or stay street legal and work with 7 grand and below.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 5:01 AM
Thing is, it's 6400 and below, so that's quite the limiting factor at the moment.. I guess I will have to do the JBP reflash, unless some other options become available.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:47 AM
04firetec wrote:Thing is, it's 6400 and below, so that's quite the limiting factor at the moment.. I guess I will have to do the JBP reflash, unless some other options become available.

Give it a shot, let us know how it does.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:22 PM
doesnt the emanage have the ability to change that? they are only 450 locally.. for any type of reflash or chip that ever comes out, ur gonna be lookin at atleast 200-300, might as well spend the lil extra and get alot more. emanage is so much cheaper then a stand alone.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:20 PM
i was wodering about the e-manage as well, just for the sake of tuning as you upgrade the car. what all does it change besides fuel and spark?
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:49 PM
Quote:

doesnt the emanage have the ability to change that?

Quote:

what all does it change besides fuel and spark?

The e-manage only has adjustments for fuel & ignition timing...that's it. No rev limiter changing.

Quote:

emanage is so much cheaper then a stand alone.

E-manage is cheaper cause all it does is plug into your computer and change your fuel and ignition timing. A standalone is pretty much another computer that plugs into your stock computer where you can change any aspect of your computer for example rev limiter, speed limiter, fuel, ignition timing etc.

Quote:

chip that ever comes out, ur gonna be lookin at atleast 200-300

Any chip that you see that is for a 3rd generation J-body is crap and doesn't help. Don't waste your money. All it does is dump more fuel (if it works) but more fuel doesn't mean more power. Some cars need LESS fuel so that would just hurt your cars performance and it will hurt your gas mileage.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search