ODB1 ECU Project - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ODB1 ECU Project
Thursday, April 13, 2006 9:17 PM
Hello Jbodiers,

We're working on a complete tuning package that will make it virtually easy to emulate and do real time tuning of the 95 - pre pcm's. What i need, is anyone with access to a eprom reader, or an extra eprom or two to somehow get it to me. Being eprom bin file, or actually throwing the eprom in an envelope and mailing it off.

For anyone who helps me with this, i will supply them with information on the hardware, and any tuner definition files needed to do the tune.

Email me @ kyanox@yahoo.com

Chris R. Smyth

Re: ODB1 ECU Project
Friday, April 14, 2006 4:28 PM
That's an interesting plan, but...

How do you intend to emulate the following?
1) Code in ROM in 93 and 94 flash 2.2 ECM?
2) Calibration in non removable FLASH or EEPROM in 93-94 2.2 pcm?
3) Code in ROM in C3 ecm's found in gen1 and early gen2 TBI equipped vehicles?

Definition files or partial disassemblies currently exist for the 1227749 turbo Sunbird with $58 mask ($48 is not supported) ,the 1227730 $88 and $A1 V6 calibration, and the 1227748 TBI Sunbird ecm. How many more are you looking for?

-->Slow
Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:37 PM
Emulation of the rom's is done with a unit that a business associate manufacturers. There are actually 2 units, one that just emulates, the other that also datalogs simultaneously.

I have most of the 1227730 code, but anything you can send me would be great. Duplicate roms wont matter, most of the code is template with different program variables for each car.

Specifically the currently undersupported ecu's we're working towards are the 1619xxxx series. And the one I am starting with is the 16196285. If you can tell me which template this ecu runs off of ex $88, $0D etc.... that would help, as i already have some existing program templates. The current template in the bin file i have is unpublished, meaning it needs to be disassembled. If anyone knows how to disassemble it, i can send both existing bins for the 2.2L in the 95 year using this ecu.

As for the code in early generation Jbodies, i believe code already exists for these, it's just a matter of extracting a current hack, and installing it in the tuning software.

You can email me for more information on where to find the hardware if you don't already have it.
Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:42 PM
I did get your email quite some time ago, and I've been looking, but I don't have anything from 95 or older.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:43 PM
I almost forgot to answer your questions. At the cost of another post, here is your answers.

1) Code in ROM in 93 and 94 flash 2.2 ECM?

Emulation of this code is done by simply reflashing the existing chip or installing a new chip that is flashable by the flasher hardware. Sometimes and adapter may be needed, and thoes are available.

2) Calibration in non removable FLASH or EEPROM in 93-94 2.2 pcm?

Calibration of the non-removable flash eeproms are harder, but as far as i'm aware most of the eeproms are actually installed on a memcal unit that is slotted in the pcm. If there is a pcm with a soldiered flash unit, i'm positive a socket could be soldered in place of the chip, and a new flash/eprom chip installed.

I was under the impression that GM did not make an ecu without a memcal that is removable, or with eeprom/flash chips before 96 except for the LT1 pcms.

3) Code in ROM in C3 ecm's found in gen1 and early gen2 TBI equipped vehicles?

These chips are either soldered or socketed, and are eprom non-electrically eraseable. The good news is, you can pull the chip, put it in the reader we use, read the code off of it, match it too or build a new tuner template and put a drop in replacement flash chip back into the ecu. This is accomplished with an adapter, and in any ecu that uses a memcal, the actual memcal is used for limp mode, while the new flash is used for tuning.

Any more questions?
Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:45 PM
If I understand you correctly, you offered to make a "complete tuning package that will make it virtually easy to emulate and do real time tuning of the 95 - pre pcm's." I think you'll have a hard time reaching your goal. And unfortunately, I've seen too many people fly in with big promises only to disappear with just enough info to help themselves for me to have a positive attitude. Soldering sockets and making your own definition files is beyond most people on this forum and should not be expected of them.

One other note. I've spent several hundred dollars on emulators which didn't emulate when installed in a GM ECM. There are two on the market currently which seem to do well, one of the two being far better imo. Hopefully what you will offer will work as well as, if not better than, those two.

Some pictures of the hardware I'm referring to. These may be different than what you're used to seeing with the GM ECM's.

93 Cav w/ embedded ROM and flash cal data

C3 CAV TBI style ECM modified for larger EPROM

P4 TBI with unique socket

-->Slow
Sunday, April 16, 2006 2:06 AM
Ok the first ecu, i'm not sure of, but the other 2, no problem. There are adapters available that will plug into both and emulate.

As far as the actual emulators go, definition files would need to be built, and copies of the eproms would have to be disassembled.

It can be done, question is, who is willing and able.
Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:41 AM
You will waste your time I can't garantee you.

Check the quad4forums.com for more info about description files. .bin files will need to be done.

after alot of time, they only figured out some piece of the puzzle.

The timming is not accurate, the speed limiter can be changed, the fuel maps and MAP mesure are a guess.

Good luck.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:06 AM
Thank you i will do that. I've got some of the best heads working on it now, and i have a working .ads file but my hardware seems to be acting up. If anyone has a autoprom or max232 you can grab a copy of the ads file for tuner pro rt @ http://www.cyberstopweb.com/cavalier/95_2.2L_16196285.ads that should allow you to datalog with either an autoprom, or max232 interface.

Someone want to try it and let me know the results.

Chris
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:58 PM
I've got the 95 bin file for you if you'd like it. Just email me. I would also be very interested in this if it comes through.

Time to get it going again.....
Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:49 AM
Ok so here goes the call to all, any bin files you have send them to me kyanox@yahoo.com Make sure to label the bin file with the file mask. The more files i have the more i can compair between files to grab tables etc...

Chris

Saturday, April 22, 2006 11:16 AM
Hrmm, i still need bins. Anyone brave enough to pull the bin off their stock memcal and send it.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:24 AM
Quote:

Hrmm, i still need bins. Anyone brave enough to pull the bin off their stock memcal and send it.

I've tried to tell you this before. I've been here over a year. In that time, I have found no one who is tuning his / her own factory ecm and no one who has the tools or technical skills to read a .bin file.

I have nothing here for that bastahd ecm/pcm you're working on. When you get to doing other ecm's lmk.

-->Slow
Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:38 AM
C Smyth wrote:Hrmm, i still need bins. Anyone brave enough to pull the bin off their stock memcal and send it.

What kinda chip is it that is used in these? Is it something like a 27C256 or something of the sort?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:07 PM
The chip is an integrated memcal, with limphome hardware and a programable eprom. The programable eprom can be swapped out for a 512 flash chip, 27SF512 with a program on it, or our emulator hardware which can change maps and values on the fly.

What i'm looking at right now is gathering the 6 or 7 different bin files for that ecu, because then i can compair all 7 for differences, build a basic tuning program, figure out what each area does, translate it, then sell the final product bundled in with either the emulation hardware or the chip programming hardware.

The reason you found noone who is doing it has to do with the v8 performance market thinking there are no 4cylinder performance engines. When in reality this just isnt true. So i'm the one who is going to be doing it.

Chris
Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:56 PM
c smyth, you've got mail.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:48 PM
Diesell, can you send that .bin my way? I've been trying to get my hands on it for awhile.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, April 24, 2006 6:42 AM
C Smyth wrote: And the one I am starting with is the 16196285. If you can tell me which template this ecu runs off of ex $88, $0D etc.... that would help, as i already have some existing program templates.

$40, but good luck finding it.

sig not found
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:28 AM
protomec wrote:
C Smyth wrote: And the one I am starting with is the 16196285. If you can tell me which template this ecu runs off of ex $88, $0D etc.... that would help, as i already have some existing program templates.

$40, but good luck finding it.

How did you identify the $40 bin, we identified the bin as a $36, though we found that for some stupid reason tunercat also identified it as a $40. I'm pretty close to determining what the tables are as well as where baseline timing and Base pulse width and correction tables are.

What i need from anyone on here is, a copy of 2.2L or 2.3L stock maps, with the data in an excel or just listed in a matrix.

The idea being, if i know what the stock maps are, i can search the files for them, and isolate the correct locations to build a definition file.

Also we're most likely going to make the definition files free to everyone, then the only thing that will have to be purchased is the burning hardware and tuner pro rt. Mark, the author of tuner pro works mostly on donations for his rt product, but still he's a great guy and his product is 100%, so it's worth it.
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:04 PM
Speedracerz, whats you email address. Looked in your profile and nada.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:06 PM
Nevermind, I need to go to bed. Long day at work!!!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:55 PM
Ok, so far i've found 8 tables, and a few things such as eprom id, mask id etc... I've not dug to far into the constants and values because i don't know whats what, but i will find them. I'm setting up a test bench, to test a ecu out of the vehicle for safety.

I will be occasionally uploading the definition file as i work on it. I would upload a copy now, but only if anyone is willing to test it out.

Chris
Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:36 PM
I have little background in this.
I have been trying many programs and ideas for a while now and had no real success.
I have 3 different memcals for this PCM. One is totally custom. But the people who made it are no longer interested in anything to do with it anymore.

I do not have a way to read the chips. Yet I am interested in anything that can happen with this PCM.
If you have any specifics you would like tried, I would be up for it. I wouldn't have a problem making an investment in some equipment if need be.

sig not found
Friday, April 28, 2006 5:03 PM
Protomec, i'm looking at how much it will cost to get you a reader/writer out. If you can shell out a few bucks for it, i think they are some what cheap. I really could use your custom memcal, and if you can get a hold of the person who made it, perhaps have them send you some notes.

I have some tunerpro files you could test, but without a burner, its kind of pointless.

Shoot me an email kyanox@yahoo.com and we can converse more, basically for ease of tuning i'm using an emulator, laptop and tuner pro rt.

Chris
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 1:20 PM
UPDATE 5/2/2006

The ecu project is comming along very well. I will be able to build a tune file for the 16196285 and 16191947 ecu's in the 94-95 model year cavalier, or if you did the swap from an odb2 to odb1.

Already we can datalog off the ecu with all variables that the ecu can log. Progress is moving along very quickly however, I still need need and 2.3 HO bin files emailed to me. I've gotten most the 2.2 stuff, and 1 quad4 bin, but it's for a LO which in all reality doesn't help thoes who want to tune a HO just yet.

The project currently support tuner pro and tuner pro rt, but will here in the near future support tuner cat. I've chosen these pieces of software just because of the ease of use and interactivity. HOWEVER, if anyone knows of any ALDL software that can properly graph a run and show the values in a 3d graph or on a spreadsheet please send me an email, and we could support it also.

Thanks go out to everyone who has been willing to help with the project, and for thoes who have, you will be the first ones to use the fruits of the labors. For thoes who said "IT CANT BE DONE", i'll be nice and let you in on it as well.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search