95 ECU swapped, now idle problem..... - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 95 ECU swapped, now idle problem.....
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:55 AM
I'd just adjust the base idle on the T/B, and call it good...... but thats just me

Glad to see someone tried the '95 ECM swap.

You still have the stock 95 EEPROM/CHIP in there, right? And the '97 2.4 engine, right? I'd look into getting a OBDI scan tool (to see what all the sensors are saying)

IDK how you only had 1 O2 sensor...... and OBDII, unless you Canadians didn't have the strict emissions we did down here..... *wft

If thats the case, send me your 97 ECM

I believe JETCHIPS can get you a chip for the '95 ECM....... I know Protomec had the info back in the day for it...... I had it saved in my email, but it all got dumped awhile back.

Keep us updated on how this works out for you!!!! I have the full 95 harness and ECM in my '96 Z, with a W41, and it runs pretty well...... other then the 6500 rev limit

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:30 AM
All the 96-97 Canadian Z that I know of don't have the second 02 sensor.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:39 AM
damn, why hasnt anyone posted this info before?

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:47 AM
I have a question. What all needed to be changed in order to make the OBD I ECU work? I was thinking of doing the same thing with the LN2 in my 97 so I didn't have to spend a ton of cash on a reflash. Does the harness have to be changed or is it just plug and play?

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:52 PM
ok, we tried to get the codes today and it didn't work. I'll go to GM tomorrow and ask them, but they will charge me for reading the code only!!!!!
is there any way i could read the code without going to GM, like putting an OBD1 connector instead of the OBD2 or jumping the wires or something like that??
my mechanics said that because now i only have 1 wire connected to the computer and from the diagram i have the 97 has 2 wires, so when i repin the ecu, i left one beside.
how is the connector on the 95, i mean how is it wired? Do I have the same and its just my mechanics scan tool that cant read it? Protomec told me that scan tool to read the 95 OBD1 are rare so....

Quote:

I have a question. What all needed to be changed in order to make the OBD I ECU work? I was thinking of doing the same thing with the LN2 in my 97 so I didn't have to spend a ton of cash on a reflash. Does the harness have to be changed or is it just plug and play?

all you need to do is get a 95 computer 2.3 manual OR any 95 2.2 ecu with the plugs (2 plugs 1 is blue other is clear. you have to pull the plug to see the color) then repin all wires needed from your plug and put them into the 2.3 plugs. there a couple wires that you have to solder together for the injection and 5V reference. then upgrade to HO motor or W41 and put a mantapart chip in it

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:03 PM
how do you adjust the idle on the throttle body??
yeah, i have the stock EPROM with my 97 engine in there. For the emission.... i dunno, MFK is right, a friends of mine has also a 97 with no 2dn O2!

the rev limitier on my 95 ecu is about 6200.... it was 6500 before. Is all 95 ECM set at 6200?
the W41 chip will go in, but i just wanted to know....
Protomec, that would nice if you could post the info that speedracer is talking about!.
thanx

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:11 PM
How about I post Scanner info.
This is not a question of OBD1 vs. OBD2.
real obd1 cars--94-down-- use a particular serial communication standard. I don't have the info in front of me right now so I can't list exactly what standard it is. They also had another pin on the PCM that when grounded would allow the PCM to flash codes.

Cars with OBD2 connectors (95 J included) use a few different communications standards, but none the same as the 94-down one. OBD scan tools can usually read any/all of the new ones.
They have no grounding pin like the earlier ones.

But the 95 PCMs talk in terms that match the OBD1 language while speaking the OBD2 standard. SO the newer scan tools asks for codes and the 95 responds exactly as a 96 would and says here you go..... 12, 25, 48, 88. and the scan goes "WTF!!". The OBD2 tool is only expecting P0135, P0458, P2145. The problem is similar for data.

But some scan tools... Tech 1a, Mastertech, OTC Genisys, I'm not sure about any others, can understand either reply and will work. The dealer will work, but only if you tell him you have a 95 no matter what the VIN or VECI decal says.

Here is the problem... the 95 PCM

sig not found
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:28 PM
^^ hes right...i woulda told you ALOT sooner that it wasnt gonna work but im banned
your not gonna be able to "just get codes" take it from some thats been thru the runa round with that problem...just find someone that has a scan tool and can look at what the pcm is seeing..GM isnt the only one that can do it...other shops carry them as well and are cheaper..the one by my house only charges 35 bucks for it..GM wanted to charge me 85 per hour
--scott
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:44 PM
good info, thanx Todd!
so my wiring is good with just the uart data connected and leave the other one aside not connected!
GM here is 104$/hr (CND) but it shouldn't take too long to get code, like 5-10mins.
I'll go to GM tomorrow to see what are the code, then i'll try to find a shop around that could do it also!
thanx!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:56 PM
whether it takes 5min or 60 min they are still gonna charge you the 104 ..
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:00 PM
nah... they told me they would charge the time it takes!

Thursday, January 05, 2006 2:09 AM
take a look at your T/B..... there is a base idle screw that stops the throttle plate from closing all the way. You might have to dig the wax out that covers the screw, but you can adj. it.

As for the Scan tool...... I have an OBD1 scan tool that I use.... cant remember the name off it off the top of my head, but because my car was a 96, I had to wire a OBD1 plug into the OBD2 scan port wires. Works great. I can read all the sensors, and read codes.

I think my rev limit is 6500 on my 95 ECM..... but Im only using my stock tach.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:33 PM
I want to add that the description I wrote to describe what happens with 95 diagnostics is only meant as an easy way to understand the sort of thing that is happening and not meant as an accurate description of the differences.

sig not found
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:22 PM
ok, i finally got the codes read. and i adjusted the idle with the screw on the tb for now. its at 800rp, and hasn't stall on me yet.

i got code 24 & 27!!
Anyone can tell me what are these and how to fix that please?
thanx!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:20 PM
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 5:29 PM
thanx protomec!!
code 24:
Vehicle speed was less than 2 MPH for 5 seconds when vehicle was not in park or neutral. Engine speed was between 1600 and 4775 RPM and MAP signal showed low manifold vacuum.

code:27
Quad-driver sense voltage shows a low voltage for 5 seconds when battery voltage should be present or if the sense voltage shows battery voltage for 20 seconds when a low voltage should be present.

now how do i fix that???

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:04 PM
the description for the quad driver is kinda on the wrong way.

You have a 5speed right? it could be as stupid as a burned shift light.

Quad driver diagnostic page 1

Quad driver diagnostic page 2

Quad driver diagnostic page 3

It's for code 26 tough.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:12 PM
man, i'm lost on that one!
for the shift light, i dunno, i put a electrical tape in back of the gauge when i installed my white gauge!
Also, i noticed that after i started the car, like 5mins and fan start to runs.... temp isn't even high.

and what about the vehicule speed? Any idea on that one?
thanx for the help.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:20 PM
Translation to english-

24= no VSS signal when the PCM does not see a depressed clutch (thinks its in gear and clutch is engaged) engine is loaded (MAP is low) and rpm is up with TPS above 10%.
No VSS can cause stalling while stopping, or sometimes a high idle after decel.
Also, IAC resets at speeds above 40mph, no VSS= no above 40mph.

Quad driver is about the dumbest name ever created for a circuit. The circuits that control relays and solenoids are referred to as driver circuits. GM uses chips that are 4 drivers in one chip, hence Quad.
Instead of calling out "fan relay circuit" GM just says Quad driver fault. Which circuit is it really? if your lucky, you can only narrow it down to one of 4. In this case, there are many QDs so who really knows which it is.
The highest likelyhood is you simply missed pinning in one of the solenoid/relay circuits and its not doing anything right now.

sig not found
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:38 PM
hmmmm..... that is exactly what the car is doing. sometimes before i fix the idle with the tb screw, i was stalling while stopping, and even now, i have a high idle after decel. so is it my vss sensor that is bad? Also, Karo told me it might be my MAP sensor, he told me that i need to get the specific 95 map sensor to work with the 95 ecu, but when i went to napa, they told me its the same for 95 & 97!! so i dunno.

ok, now how do i narrow it down to which wires i might missed pin?
i still have the diagram that i use with me. i wrote where i repinned every wires on it.
maybe i should post where i repinned what wires.
thanx.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:49 PM
I would guess the VSS is just mis-pinned, not bad.
The fan issue seems to indicate another possible problem with the ECT that the PCM isn't seeing as wrong.

And as a possible coincidence, the ECT and VSS both have a yellow wire in the pair.

sig not found

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:57 PM
BUT!!!!!
I am not recommending just swapping the wires to try and fix it.
check them end to end with a DVOM.

sig not found
Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:17 AM
yeah, i,ll check that, but the ect and vss are not close to each other on the 97 ecu, i dont think i could mixed them up. When i did the swap i took wires off my ecu in order and repin at the right location on the 95 plugs. i mean i started with c1-08 of 97 to c2-17 95, c1-14 97 to c1-20 95... and so on. the vss in 97 is c1-64 and the ect is c1-54. i dunno, i'll still check when i have time to be sure.
Also, when we read the code, the guy started the car with the scanner plugged in to read the speed from the scan tool and the scan tool was reading 20mph while the cluster was showing about 15-16!!! That is not very accurate, could a bad vss cause all this?
thanx for helping me guys!

Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:53 AM
hope you get the bugs worked out.

On a side note, I tried to use a stock 2.4 MAP sensor on my W41 w/ the 95 ECM..... and it wouldnt run worth a crap. I switched to a 00+ S/C MAP, and it works fine....

Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:19 PM
isn't the s/c a 2bar map?
maybe i should try a 00+ map or maybe a 95 map if its different. i also have 2 or 3 map sensor from 2.3l 94-. but these are at my moms house which is 250KM away and i wont be going before first week of march when i'll be doing the new engine.
do you have the part number for that?
thanx.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search