*Is Greddy Emanage the best to use in our jbodys? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*Is Greddy Emanage the best to use in our jbodys?
Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:24 AM
i have a 98 z24 cavy and im looking at installing some kind of device that will allow me to edit my stock ECU as i modify my car.

would greddy emanage be a good solution to this? are there any other devices that are cheaper or easier to install that do the same thing?

how hard is the install? should i have a shop do it?

and where can i find greddy emanage assumming i get that?

im more intrested in installing some kind of a unit that i can tap into, instead of a diffrent standalone ECU. i really want to leave my stock ECU but just edit it.

as always, thanks guys!

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car club site!)

Re: *Is Greddy Emanage the best to use in our jbod
Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:42 AM
An e-manage doesn't "edit" the stock ECU, it modifies the signals the ECU outputs. IT's a piggyback system.
The best solution to J-body ECU tuning is the HP Tuners that recently came out (and which a quick search would have brought up). The installation could be done by an untrained monkey, and you alter your base maps instead of having to start from scratch like most standalones.
Read the FAQ for more info.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:02 AM
OHV notec wrote:An e-manage doesn't "edit" the stock ECU, it modifies the signals the ECU outputs. IT's a piggyback system.
The best solution to J-body ECU tuning is the HP Tuners that recently came out (and which a quick search would have brought up). The installation could be done by an untrained monkey, and you alter your base maps instead of having to start from scratch like most standalones.

i apologize, im the biggest fan of search, but when i searched for greddy emanage, not much came up.

where can i find hp tuners? and yes, i meant piggyback system, not a standalone ECU.

im kinda new to the whole ECU and computer editing in cars, ive always been into dealing with actual hardware, not software.

so any help is apperciated. thanks!

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:08 AM
ok so i found it on www.hptuners.com

looks like a great program, but i cant seem to find anything on the install. is it simply plug and play? how is it editing the ECU with this?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:17 AM
Please look at the FAQ at the very top of this forum.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:18 AM
OHV notec wrote:An e-manage doesn't "edit" the stock ECU, it modifies the signals the ECU outputs. IT's a piggyback system.

Eh, I dunno about that, bro. I'd want my pet monkey to at least ahve some sort of skill before I set him loose on tuning my car.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:25 AM
ln2johnny wrote:

Eh, I dunno about that, bro. I'd want my pet monkey to at least ahve some sort of skill before I set him loose on tuning my car.

The monkey could install it, whether he'd be able to tune is another story altogether, but how is that any different from using a piggyback system?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:31 AM
Shifted wrote:Please look at the FAQ at the very top of this forum.

wow.....i feel stupid for even making this thread after reading that sticky. sorry for bugging you guys, but

what is a 2 bar and 3 bar and all that? i couldnt find anything explaining what that means?

all i know is pre2000 LD9's dont have bar2 and 3 support.....so if i have a 98 LD9, what am i not able to get with this?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:32 AM
Those are for people running boost, 2 bar allows the ECU to adjust based on boost up to 14.7 PSI, 3 bar goes to about 29 PSI.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:43 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:
The monkey could install it, whether he'd be able to tune is another story altogether, but how is that any different from using a piggyback system?

HP Tuners is way different mainly because it's not a piggy-back and it's not a stand-alone either. It actually uses the stock ECU as a soemi-stand-alone system -- sort of. See, the stock ECU controls everything that the engine does, this you know. But there are certain things the ECU is allowed t odo because of its programming. The only way to get around it is with a piggy-back, which can only alter the signal, but it's still limited by the ECU's program. Or you can use a stand-alone that has its own maps, its own parameters, and it's all done by the user. Down side with that is you lose diagnostics, gauge drive, CEL function, cruise control, and also the stock programming is gone unless you reinstall the stock ECU again. HP does what the stand-alone can do, with a lap top, but still retains all the factory stuff. It's true editing. You start with the stock mapping and tune from there. And with the right equipment from HP you can account for almost any mod you do, boost, all motor, NO2, whatever. I'd suggest reading the FAQ and it'll really go in depth as to what HP makes possible.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:43 AM
does that mean on my 98 LD9 that i wont be able to boost past 14.7 psi or i wont be able to boost with this hptuners at all?

evetually i want to put a procharger with a good 8-10 psi, so will hptuners work for this? or.......?

thanks again shifted(aka: the smart one)

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:46 AM
It means you'd have to do the "fake 2 or 3 bar tune" that I describe on my website, which a link to is underneath my sig.

HPT will still work.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:48 AM
Thy're working on a 3-bar I think but I'm not entirely sure. I think it's in the FAQ, but SHifted wil lhave the answer. You can, in theory, still tune with it on the 2-bar but it's not the best idea. It leaves you guessing how much fuel you need at that point. The 3-bar is much more accurate and lets you get precise mapping.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:50 AM
If you don't need 3 bar, then use 2 bar, the more "bars" you use and fake the tune, the LESS accurate your spark maps get (the downside of faking the tune).

Saturday, May 27, 2006 2:37 PM
ln2johnny wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:

HP Tuners is way different mainly because it's not a piggy-back and it's not a stand-alone either. It actually uses the stock ECU as a soemi-stand-alone system -- sort of. See, the stock ECU controls everything that the engine does, this you know. But there are certain things the ECU is allowed t odo because of its programming. The only way to get around it is with a piggy-back, which can only alter the signal, but it's still limited by the ECU's program. Or you can use a stand-alone that has its own maps, its own parameters, and it's all done by the user. Down side with that is you lose diagnostics, gauge drive, CEL function, cruise control, and also the stock programming is gone unless you reinstall the stock ECU again. HP does what the stand-alone can do, with a lap top, but still retains all the factory stuff. It's true editing. You start with the stock mapping and tune from there. And with the right equipment from HP you can account for almost any mod you do, boost, all motor, NO2, whatever. I'd suggest reading the FAQ and it'll really go in depth as to what HP makes possible.

I know what HPtuners can and can't do, it's in the mail as I type this. You just made it sound like it was somehow more complicated than the Greddy Emanage with more room for error in your earlier post. I can't wait to get tuning.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:56 PM
well if this program is easy plug and play and you just edit your stock ecu, who the hell would buy any other stand alones or other piggybacks?

ill be ordering hptuners this summmer. hopefully by then i can get some good info and posts dug up to help with tuning. the hp forums will be a good place for me to start reading i think.

and is there a good diffrenece between the standard and enhanced versions? im planning on mild tuning, and maybe running a few lbs next year with a procharger. would the enhanced version really help me?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:01 PM
Again, the difference between standard and EIO is in the FAQ.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search