electronic tuning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
electronic tuning
Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:51 PM
i was curious....im gonna have about 600-700 to spend here soon and was wondering if should get a tunning computer, like an apexi II. i heard that j's run rich and was wondering if i could tune it done a bit to run slightly more lean to get more power. what do u think?

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!

Re: electronic tuning
Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:07 PM
Listening.

I'll have a sig someday....................
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:46 AM
If you have a stock or even mildly modified car, tuning will probably get you little to no gains with an SAFCII. I actually have an SAFC-2 and I needed it after doing almost every bolt on and opened up my motor put in camshafts, before fuel wasn't an issue.

If you seriously want to try and tune your car, buy it and either invest in an Wideband O2 or take it to a tuning shop but in my honest opinion, it could probably wait till later on when you do something bigger.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:19 AM
It's probably a better idea, if you're serious about performance, to buy the wideband. Even if you can't make any changes now, you can learn how the car's fueling is set up for later. And the wide band could be used on other vehicles in the future.

-->Slow
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:34 AM
Never tune a car without a wideband.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, October 21, 2005 9:04 AM
wait for hp tuners to come out with their software.. beta testing is supposed ot start sometime in november. not much longer of a wait! from what i been reading around here it was said, by GM, that a properly tuned ecotec can put out 180hp at the flywheel

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Friday, October 21, 2005 1:48 PM
hp tuners software? it can be put into our obd II computers and give us at the most 170-180hp???

what does a wideband 02 do?

and i can just goto a tuner shop and have them electronically squeeze a few hp here and there?

also thanks about the apexi info. i wont buy one until all of my bolt ons and some internal work is done . t

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Friday, October 21, 2005 6:14 PM
Quote:

hp tuners software? it can be put into our obd II computers and give us at the most 170-180hp???

There are claims that with an ECOTEC that the computer has alot of restrictions that are robbing power with fuel and timing. With a tuning device that HP tuners is bringing out, I don't really know if it will give you that much power gain on a stock motor but it will help with tuning in general. Honestly, I think it's more of a device for people who really need it. It's not a plug and play thing where it's "Hey I have 15 HP now", it takes alot of work.

Quote:

what does a wideband 02 do?

A wideband O2 reads and tells you your Air/Fuel Ratio. It's for tuning purposes.

Quote:

and i can just goto a tuner shop and have them electronically squeeze a few hp here and there?

No. You need either a tuning software or some type of device. Like said before, in order to even gain any type of power, you have to figure out your air/fuel ratio, your powerband and where in your powerband you need more or less fuel and also ignition timing comes into play. These things are difficult to change and a good amount of money comes into play with it as well in order to do it right.

Quote:

i wont buy one until all of my bolt ons and some internal work is done

From my experience, you probably won't need one untill you open up your motor.

Hope this gives you an better understanding blackNAcavie

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:37 PM
thanks so much chocolate.

so your saying with this tuning software from hp tuners, which i take is laptop pluggable, which is good for me...that if i understand what my cars ratio is i can tune it right with time?

does this software have the capability of showing what your current ratio is and how to program it where you want it to be for the most power?

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Friday, October 21, 2005 6:58 PM
You're welcome

Quote:

so your saying with this tuning software from hp tuners, which i take is laptop pluggable, which is good for me...that if i understand what my cars ratio is i can tune it right with time?

I'm not sure if it's laptop tuneable or a plug into your computer and change things kind of thing but basically yes.

Quote:

does this software have the capability of showing what your current ratio is and how to program it where you want it to be for the most power?

It won't tell you what your a/f ratio is but it will allow you to change the perameters however it's setup. The Wideband will only be able to tell you your a/f ratio. I'm sure there is a manual to tell you how to use it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search