Megasquirt vs. HPTuners - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Megasquirt vs. HPTuners
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:52 AM
Don't know what's the difference between Megasquirt and the HPTuners. I'm running N/A right now with bigger cams, in the process of port and polishing it, and going spray it in a few weeks. I'm also planning on upgrading the fuel delivery probably winter time. I'm leaning towards the megasquirt because it's dead cheap and I know someone that can tune it for me. HPTuners is almost 4 bills more, and I was wondering what does HPT offer that Megasquirt can't? And how big of a difference is it. Thanks in advance.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703

Re: Megasquirt vs. HPTuners
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:19 PM
hpt is essentially easier, just becuase if you have a 97+ it plugs in and tune's your stock ecu. i don't know the limitations of it though..

megasquirt you have to rewire most of the car, and even more for timing...

i personally like megasquirt (i am a little biased though )

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:33 PM
You actually have to rewire when using Megasquirt?? GG.. didn't know that.
Anyone know the difference, tuning performance wise, on the two?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:03 PM
no, you have it a bit backwards.

you dont have to rewire the car. you have to wire in the megasqurit. essintally the more you want to do with the car the harder the install.

the megasquirt is a great tool when it comes to fuel, not to mention it has unlimited perks like boost controler, nitrous control, turbo timer and pretty much anything you can think of. what makes it beautiful is that its free ware. anybody can right programs for it. (and once its tested and deemed reliable) it is relased. not to mention it costs half as much as HPT

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:18 PM
Can megasquirt change rev limitier, fuel limiter, and speeed limiter?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:32 PM
if you have megasquirt control fuel and spark, then yes, it removes all of those, because the stock computer no longer is controling the engine at all basically.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:01 PM
Alright thanks, one more question.. would Megasquirt be enough to get my cams to run at full potential?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:53 AM
Megasquirt or hpt wont do anything as far as your cams go. Cams are just pieces of metal, unless you use cam gears to change the degreeing or overllap thay are what they are. That being said though, you can use a tuning solution like MS or HPT (or many others) to get the most out of your car by changing the tune and removing things like limiters.

HPT will let you eliminate cels which can prevent the pulling of timing (I'll admit that is the one thing I like about HTP). The megasquirt and HPT both will let you tune your fuel so you are running cleaner at idle which will help eliminate lope, create more vacum and idles smoother.

The install on your car isn't that bad, mostly becasue a few of use have it pretty well figured out now. You install the AIT and CLT (this is a bit rough depending on how you do it), tap the tps wire, tap for a tach signal and wire the injectors. This is the most basic setup but will get you up and running and accomplish most of what you need as far as tunability goes.
Friday, June 16, 2006 4:12 PM
I'd have to disagree abit about MS or HPT not helping with aftermrket cams. Not sure which cams you have but the cams will change your torque curve (optimum timing and A:F@rpm requirements will change therefore) i mean you can't tune a stock car then add cams and expect to still have a good tune. Maybe thats what you were trying to say LIVID but I think you would see gains with either system. With HPT you can easily go back to stock at any time and you have a good base to start tuning from, MS is a bit more work, but you will probably learn allot more too.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search