HP Tuners - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HP Tuners
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:44 PM
Just wondering if it is worth getting HP tuners for a basicly stock engine. Is their any real performance gains that would come out of this? Or is HP tuners not worth it unless you have some real addons like S/C or Turbo?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: HP Tuners
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:44 PM
spark advance helps out a bit as well as raising the limiters, its cool for data logging and knowing whats going inside the beast

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:42 PM
i had hpt before i was turbo'ed ... for about a week, i used it to replace my b&m shift plus kit cause i have an automatic...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:20 AM
So really, unless your running boost or nitrous, its a waste to spend $500+ on the software?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:57 AM
well i wouldnt say its a waste at all , but theres other mods that would prob have more bang for the buck on an NA car

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:55 PM
SunfireGTguy2120 wrote:So really, unless your running boost or nitrous, its a waste to spend $500+ on the software?

Truly no one knows yet. Until someone takes a completely stock J to a dyno and have it tuned to see what can be gain we will not really know.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:41 PM
Theres still things you can do, for auto tranny guys its nice tinkering with that stuff

Spark Advance
Moving rev limiters and speed limiters up out of the way
Triggering the Power Enrichment mode a bit earlier
fine tuning AFR can have good results on an NA car too, what im finding is that alot of the reason our cars arent making power up top is gm has it designed that way where the fuel and spark are really decreased above 6000, im sure this is for durability concerns but for racers theres alot to gain by making more up top

For instance, in my case my supercharger makes my power pretty much linear to the stock power curve, steady up to 5800 then slightly down to redline, with my old redline at 6500 I had to shift at 6300-6400 to not hit the limiter and then my revs drop down to 4000 or so in the next gear. Well at 4000 im making something like 120s on HP. I raised my limiter to 7000 now I can shift at 6900 and then the rpms drop down to 4500, im making 18 more HP at 4500 rpm than what i do at 4000, its not making extra power but its using what you have more effectively. That holds true at least for ecos that they will genuinely benefit from a higher redline, 2.4s im sure would too especially those with the HO cam swaps which were originally for the high revving quads of the early 90s. 2.2OHV motors would get nothing out of a higher redline, up high isnt where they make the powah.

But that redline is just one little thing and essentially its an 18hp gain, you would be hard pressed to find alot of mods that would provide that for less than 650 which is the cost of the hp tuners, other than of course giggle gas

Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:06 PM
I'd say if you split it with a few guys to bring the price down as I did (worked out to $140ishCAN each for basic) there's very little you can do to get the bang for your buck that HPtuners provides. Obviously the more mods you have, the more potential there is to dial in the car, but the stock tune is very conservative, and not geared towards performance, so there's lots of room to improve.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search