Is HPT good to use with NA? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is HPT good to use with NA?
Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:22 AM
I have done a search and was not able to find anything on the subject. But I was wondering with little mods like header, cat, catback, and CIA is HPT a good product to use to tune the car to the new parts? If so will I see anything more than like a 1-2bhp change with the proper settings for the upgraded parts? I have a 97 Z24 Auto: Pacesetter 4-1 header, Catco Cat, custom 2.25" Catback and high flow muffler, with a CIA, B&M Shift improver, and upper and lower rksport mounts.

My car has two speeds, fast and faster.

Re: Is HPT good to use with NA?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:48 PM
I'm curious about this as well. Is it worth the 600 to get this? I intend on going Forced induction. But am wondering if this is a good investment at this time?

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:57 PM
not even NEARLY worth it if your running very little N/A mods. i wouldnt do it with every bolt on made for the car. sorry the car will just not be fast enough to spend that much money. but if you have a ton of money and want it, thats cool.
Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:38 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:not even NEARLY worth it if your running very little N/A mods. i wouldnt do it with every bolt on made for the car. sorry the car will just not be fast enough to spend that much money. but if you have a ton of money and want it, thats cool.

It gave my car a nice kick in the pants. Yes, I"m boosted, but the concept is the same. It is how good you are at tuning. Might get 10 out of it, might get 20. The point is, that this mod grows with the car, no matter what you do from here on out, you can make it better with this. This is an add on for everything you ever buy again. It maximizes the effects of whatever you've done, so the 5hp intake becomes 8 or 9, the 10hp exhaust becomes 15, etc. Plus, you get 8 credits. Thats enough to tune 4 cars, so you get 4 of your buddies, each chip in $125, and you each get a nice tune for cheap. More than worth the money to me.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:35 AM
Shifted wrote:
Kyle Kurtz wrote:not even NEARLY worth it if your running very little N/A mods. i wouldnt do it with every bolt on made for the car. sorry the car will just not be fast enough to spend that much money. but if you have a ton of money and want it, thats cool.

It gave my car a nice kick in the pants. Yes, I"m boosted, but the concept is the same. It is how good you are at tuning. Might get 10 out of it, might get 20. The point is, that this mod grows with the car, no matter what you do from here on out, you can make it better with this. This is an add on for everything you ever buy again. It maximizes the effects of whatever you've done, so the 5hp intake becomes 8 or 9, the 10hp exhaust becomes 15, etc. Plus, you get 8 credits. Thats enough to tune 4 cars, so you get 4 of your buddies, each chip in $125, and you each get a nice tune for cheap. More than worth the money to me.

this is not completely true. tuning on an na car does not help nearly as much. na cars do not respond as well to mods. with all those bolt ons there is maybe 8-10 hp. you would be lucky to get another 2 with tuninng. considering most people cant tune anyway it may even make the car slower.
Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:56 AM
Kyle - have you SEEN what the stock PCM is programmed like from GM?

There's QUITE a bit of power to unlock with our motors.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:37 AM
I was hoping to hear that it wouldn't hurt. Of course tuning is something of an art. But Learned over time. Just as long as you don't take out your motor. There has to be more. It is like certian year vehicles have x hp then the very next year they have more horsepower than the prior year because of one or 2 little things they changed. Or am I incorrect thinking like that?

Monday, July 17, 2006 12:16 AM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:
Shifted wrote:

this is not completely true. tuning on an na car does not help nearly as much. na cars do not respond as well to mods. with all those bolt ons there is maybe 8-10 hp. you would be lucky to get another 2 with tuninng. considering most people cant tune anyway it may even make the car slower.

Ah yes the 700 hp DSM guru steps in with his WEALTH of Jbody performance know-how. Why don't you do us all a favor and go annoy the guys on the DSM forums?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 17, 2006 11:54 AM

For $450US, you'd be hard pressed to spend the $$ in a better place as far as bang for the buck goes. Unless you've personally used the software, and seen the effect it has on these cars, please don't speak as an authority on the subject.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Monday, July 17, 2006 1:53 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Kyle Kurtz wrote:
Shifted wrote:

Ah yes the 700 hp DSM guru steps in with his WEALTH of Jbody performance know-how. Why don't you do us all a favor and go annoy the guys on the DSM forums?

i notice you step in with an insult yet you offer no response the the thread??? why dont you go to the bug forums and hang out with all the chicks???
Monday, July 17, 2006 2:08 PM
JSPEC wrote:I have done a search and was not able to find anything on the subject. But I was wondering with little mods like header, cat, catback, and CIA is HPT a good product to use to tune the car to the new parts? If so will I see anything more than like a 1-2bhp change with the proper settings for the upgraded parts? I have a 97 Z24 Auto: Pacesetter 4-1 header, Catco Cat, custom 2.25" Catback and high flow muffler, with a CIA, B&M Shift improver, and upper and lower rksport mounts.

I'll try to give you a real answer. First of all i do not know of anyone who has yet done any dyno tuning with HPT on a n/a car with just bolt ons, so i can't tell you any type of hp gains to expect. Other similar cars (honda's with Hondata) have seen typical gains of 20whp as well as a broader power band from fuel triming and timing advance (w/ premium fuel) tuning.

One aspect that everyone has failed to mention is the fact that you have a auto, with HPT you would no longer need your B&M Shift Plus, and you'd be able to have total control over your trans functions.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, July 17, 2006 2:08 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:
Shifted wrote:

Is that right?? Hmmmm I have seen 600hp N/a cars. No not a J, but N/A is n/a regardless of the car. I do not know where you got that crap from. GM loves to run there car rich from the factory. I read a article in Chevy High Performance last year where they used HPTuners on a Colorado (stock), gained 25whp and 35 ft of tq at the wheels on just tuning. That is more than all N/A bolts on combined (in most cases). I truly think if anyone ever takes a bone stock J (regardless of motor) and have it tuned by someone who knows how to tune that a good 15-20 whp can be gained. Then add your bolt ons and re-tune. Heck most people spend $450 on just exhaust alone and not get the kind of gains this gives.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 17, 2006 5:40 PM
Quote:

i notice you step in with an insult yet you offer no response the the thread??? why dont you go to the bug forums and hang out with all the chicks???

want an answer? half of the cars who's timing table's i've seen so far have LESS TIMING on 87 OCTANE than my car's tune (which isn't even that aggressive) has on 93 with 20 pounds of boost. On the ecotec ecu's, a good portion of them are at stoichiometric ratio even under WOT.... so yeah, I'd say there's plenty to be gained through tuning. Now stfu and don't talk about that which you clearly have no understanding.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 17, 2006 9:18 PM
MY topic about tuning a stock eco atleast. maybe something in there to help you out?
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=4974&t=4974

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:58 AM
I like HPT and I'm n/a

it gives maximum flexibility as far as tuning ignition timing and fuel tables

my car runs more advance more often now (no more interpolation)
my car goes into open loop power enrichment now (normally delayed until 6200 rpm)
my engine spins to 7000 rpm now (better for quarter mile, and lets you take better advantage of headwork and cams)
no more rediculously low 104mph speed limiter (plenty of turbo J's trap 104 or higher)
maximum flexibility for n/a or boost which is why I got it so soon

as shifted said before, I can maximize the mods I already have, then convert the car to run like stock with a turbo bolted on to it. It doesn't get any better.

HP Tuners is the best $650 I've ever spent on my car thus far.

i still need a wideband dammit!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:07 PM
GM them selves got 165 bhp i believe (dont quote me) by using an AEM stand alone on a stock Ecotec instead of the stock ECU so HPT if used right cant be to far off that

The one, the only, ME.
Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:51 PM
And unlike lots of stand alones there's no wiring, no need for a gauge cluster or some sort of interface, no need for some sort of ignition control, you keep all your factory controls, factory diagnostics, AND it's WAAAAAAAY cheaper than AEM.

Monday, July 24, 2006 10:55 AM
I can not wait to get this

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search