HPTuners w/ colder thermostat on eco? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPTuners w/ colder thermostat on eco?
Sunday, July 09, 2006 5:15 AM
So alot cars you can change to a cooler temp thermostat and gain a few HP. For whatever reason it previously didn't work on ecos, IIRC the computer was getting mad and wouldn't go into losed loop or somethign liek that... either way has anyone tossed in a lower temp thermostat and used hp to actually make the computer liek it? I'm intrested to see the results and also what tables had to modifiied to make a lower thermostat be productive

Re: HPTuners w/ colder thermostat on eco?
Sunday, July 09, 2006 8:58 AM
Why do you want to run colder though? These engines love to run at 190, playing with the fan speeds I was able to make mine run at 190 even sitting in traffic.

I just don't think there's any performance gain on these engines to making them run colder, maybe on the old school V8's there was, but I've never seen anything showing these cars run better on colder t-stats. Its not really an ECU performance thing, its the engine itself.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:21 AM
well once they go beyond 200 they dont run so well

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, July 09, 2006 2:03 PM
i wouldnt go below a 180

Monday, July 10, 2006 1:04 PM
Darkstars wrote:So alot cars you can change to a cooler temp thermostat and gain a few HP. For whatever reason it previously didn't work on ecos, IIRC the computer was getting mad and wouldn't go into losed loop or somethign liek that... either way has anyone tossed in a lower temp thermostat and used hp to actually make the computer liek it? I'm intrested to see the results and also what tables had to modifiied to make a lower thermostat be productive

Where is the proof that the car will not run correctly with a cooler stat? I know this has been talked about many, many, many times on the ORG. A few people say they have ran a 160 (in a 2.4) with no issues. No one has ever stated they have ran one and had issues. I do not see any problems running a 160 on a J (lets just say a 2.4). In fact I plan to real soon. Why?? Because the car runs at 195 and when it goes over that it does not like it. I have ran the car at the track around 180-185 and it ran good. My best times were around those temps. At the same time even if you put a 160 in the car will probably run the same temp (mabe a coupld degree's lower). We have a 180 stock and they run at 195. Also from datalogging the computer goes from open loop to closed loop around 103 degrees. Regardless of which stat you have the car is going to get to 103 at the same time in the same weather conditions. Now with no stat I could see that taking longer.
Now that was based off datalogging done off of my 2.4. I do not have datalogging from a Ecotec at this time, but plan to get some, should be close to the same.
Could there be gains from running a little cooler? yes. How much?? Probably not a lot, but also help keep oil cooler. I have noticed how the temo of the car affects my oil temp.

Once I switch to a 160 stat I will datalog more and post with more info.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:55 AM
^^ I'm with him!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search