2 Ecotec Oil Pressure Questions - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2 Ecotec Oil Pressure Questions
Monday, July 10, 2006 5:16 PM
I hooked up my Electric Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge... and it reads 50 at start up (sometimes) and 25 for the rest of the time the car is off.... it is a brand new gauge purchased from autozone, and it is the 3rd replacement because i kept thinking it was a problem with the product.... but now im pretty sure its the install... the sender is on the side of the block

and i grounded it somewhere under the dash, i forget where and i dont have a pic...

i think my ground is the problem.... what do you guys think?? I'd love to get the gauge working...

my SECOND question

I have hpt... i tried adding the oil pressure gauge and it read -16 all the time or just crashed the program and said invalid value (i dont have the exact error)

I know ecotecs have a stock oil pressure sender... why cant hpt see it?? Can someone that has it working how me which sensor/pid they have attached to the gauge that makes it work??

thanks guys

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|

Re: 2 Ecotec Oil Pressure Questions
Monday, July 10, 2006 5:23 PM
The stock oil pressure "sender" just tells the computer if there's pressure or not. It's basically an on/off switch that triggers at 4 or 5PSI. Not a real sending unit.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:12 PM
that would be why hptuners doesnt pick anything up

any ideas on the autometer gauge with the autometer after market oil pressure sender??? help please!!!!!

|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:47 PM
Yeah...Autometer sucks...but that's just my opinion. Stewart Warner > Autometer.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, July 10, 2006 10:07 PM
i agree... it was a gift, so im tryin to make it work, plus im broke

any ideas? is there a specific place to ground for optimal read out? or does it matter?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:15 PM
ground it out on the metal brace under the dash...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:16 PM
that is the one place i was hoping no one said thats where it is currently grounded... i guess i can double check my ground.... thanks man!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:59 AM
All of my grounds to my gauges and important devices in the car are grounded to ONE 8 gauge wire that heads over to the battery and is connected to the negative terminal.

One of the best grounds on the car.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:48 AM
Just run an OHM check from negitive battery to ground location.

If its an high OHM then its a problem, if it comes back very low, well the ground is good
Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:18 PM
I have the same gauge as you but glow shift and I just grounded it to a brace under the dash so that should be a good ground but the only thing I have that is different is that I have mine braced to my shock tower with an oil pressure line running from the side of the block to the electric modual. maybe try that and see how that goes.

Project Yellow Blur Is Under Way ! ! ! ! !
Friday, July 14, 2006 5:01 AM
I have mine mounted to the firewall with remote line as well.

That might make a difference. I have an Autometer gauge as well.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search