Car Name Changing - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Name Changing
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:52 PM
Some of us affectionally name our cars. Jennifer, Haley, Eleanor, Piece of crap, etc etc.

If I replaced my tires, my car would still be Jennifer.
If I changed my oil, my car would still be Jennifer.
Same with bumpers, seat belts, brake pads, hubcaps, everything. Everything but the ECU.

When I get Jennifer's 'brain' reflashed with the GM Reflash, she will be a very different 'person'.

The GM reflash is a pretty major tune, not small like editing the rev limiter. The Reflash adds a lot of new things.
So finally the question: Does significantly altering the ECU of a car require renaming the car?

Re: Car Name Changing
Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:28 PM

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:29 AM
X2
Friday, July 21, 2006 2:19 AM

think of it as hitting puberty.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:23 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Some of us affectionally name our cars. Jennifer, Haley, Eleanor, Piece of crap, etc etc.

If I replaced my tires, my car would still be Jennifer.
If I changed my oil, my car would still be Jennifer.
Same with bumpers, seat belts, brake pads, hubcaps, everything. Everything but the ECU.

When I get Jennifer's 'brain' reflashed with the GM Reflash, she will be a very different 'person'.

The GM reflash is a pretty major tune, not small like editing the rev limiter. The Reflash adds a lot of new things.
So finally the question: Does significantly altering the ECU of a car require renaming the car?

Not neccessarily, it ocukld jsut mena it needs a new nickname.....

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:59 AM
Quote:

rev limiters? I guess thats a stab at HPT? lol

I'd take HPT over the GM resmash anyday.. you obviously haven't played with that program ever =)

btw... and I know rodimus feels the same way... naming a car a person name is tacky, lame, and stupid. Its a car. It should have a car name, not a people name.

a nickname for something has to be earned, not given. This is true for people's nicknames too. You can't set your own nickname, it just happens and sticks. Thats why there's plenty of people who are referenced as Booger, Ogre, Speedy, etc

My car got its name from a strange noise it makes when I push the clutch in. Its like a rapid clicking sound that kinda reminded me of a rodent. The color of the car (silver) in tandem with blue neons/ lights/ accents reminded myself, as well as my best friend of the cartoon character Rocky The Flying Squirrell from Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons from back in the day. He's a grey squirrell with a blue flight cap.

So the first nickname for the car was Rocky The Flying Squirrell.. sometimes lovingly referred to as Rocky.

Which then just simplified to The Flying Squirrell

and since i have such a problem spelling 'squirrell' I decided to spell it phonetically and thus Skwirl was born.

yea I could call my car Selena or Ashley or Bianca, but thats just gay

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:14 AM
Mine's been called Julius ever since my mom first saw it. For some reason the color reminded her of the old restaraunt "Orange Julius." I let the name stick for her but shortened it to Julius for when I talk to it (usually cheering it on or bitching at it, no random talking) but the build is still Orange Illusions. Nothing will change once I give it a new brain.

A person who gets a brain transplant doesn't have to get a new name, why would a car.

Oh and if you wanna insult HPT....be a man and do it straight out. Don't try, and fail, to hide it.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:09 AM
The GMSC reflash is nothing special, just loosely configured to keep the motor from grenading, nothing that can't be replicated, and FAR improved on by using HPTuners software. You are still limited by GM's bizarre tuning decisions, just that they are able to warranty a boosted motor.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:49 AM
I know alot of ppl that need to change thier minds

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:47 AM
Never gave mine a name, just usually refer to it as "The Z".

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:53 PM
I don't see how the name would have to change. My car has always been called the beer by my buddies, otherwise i call it the cav.

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:16 PM
Whenever Im flashing the car I refer to it a Pyschotherapy

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, July 21, 2006 2:58 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:........

think of it as hitting puberty.......

dont for get to trim the bush too

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:46 PM
First I do not see what he said as a jab at HPT (unless there is info we all do not know about from another post, or talk outside of this post), and if so leave it outside of this post. I think this post is about name changing. I agree the name should not change. The heart of the car is the motor (truly). So as long as the motor is the same it should not matter, but even if you change a motor it is still the same car. Also who cares if someone names a car a person's name. I have never, just refer to them as her or him, but to everyone there own.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:39 PM
I wasn't taking a stab at HPTuners in any way, just using it as an example. I'll think of it as a brain transplant, or her hitting puberty...eww. Either way, she's going to stay Jennifer.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 8:51 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Some of us affectionally name our cars. Jennifer, Haley, Eleanor, Piece of crap, etc etc...

...So finally the question: Does significantly altering the ECU of a car require renaming the car?

Name it the Titanic, throw a life preserver in the back seat, smash a champagne bottle across one ot the tail lights, drive it off the boat ramp and see if it floats.

Sorry, it's the best I could come up with.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:46 PM
i saw this one integra the other day it was kinda manly sounding, but had like patches of primer on it.... i think his car earned the name man-o-lantern

Sorry...
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-09-21

00:33:32. This ban will expire 2005-09-28 00:33:32 Pacific Time.
Reason: Comments over the top regarding Jordan Kruger and other members in Versus. Also, if you have a problem with a member e-mailing you, do not bring it into the forums.

If you believe this to be in error, please contact us.
Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:20 PM
My car named itself.... after it started itself....

"Christine"

After the Plymouth Fury in the movie of the same name...

Friday, July 28, 2006 11:32 AM
My niece named my car "Barney". Could have expected that from a 3-year old.

Friday, July 28, 2006 3:20 PM
John Lenko wrote:My car named itself.... after it started itself....

"Christine"

After the Plymouth Fury in the movie of the same name...

I was going to name mine Christine. a couple months ago, the driver side blinkers would blink normally, and then go really fast. I was thinking a bad bulb or the flasher was going bad. after a few days, it stopped, like it fixed itself. a few weeks after that, my gas gauge went screwy. it said I had a half-tank, and the car ran out of gas on the freeway. it was like that for about a week, and went away, like it fixed itself.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, July 29, 2006 11:15 AM
lol ...... my cars never started itself....... but it has turned itself off......

I "earned" my nick name......... one to many little pink slips of paper.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:15 PM
I name mine the "B!tch", because I like to jump in her and ride her hard!

Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:13 PM
hmmmmm... for some reason I thought this was going the way of you can use HP tuners to change the name of your car... like on the pcm instead of whatever that number was to some name..

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:09 PM
haha, so our cars would be like xboxes...

Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:37 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) wrote:
Quote:

btw... and I know rodimus feels the same way... naming a car a person name is tacky, lame, and stupid. Its a car. It should have a car name, not a people name.

yea I could call my car Selena or Ashley or Bianca, but thats just gay

I called the Cavalier .. Kelly. And my new cars name is Alexis. .

Hater.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search