HPT Question - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HPT Question
Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:31 PM
This 05CavLSSedan guy is a character....

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:12 PM
Fst Cavy, do not start with me, if you have nothing intelligent to say then STFU!

GIT 'ER DONE!
Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:13 PM
John02 I will be in contact with you.

GIT 'ER DONE!
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:25 PM
I'll be honest I didn't read much of the rants you posted after my post. They're actually mildly unintelligble.

I will however overlook your imputence... but don't impune my knowledge or ability to help others.

You keep saying "start from scratch" and "base".... basically all HPTUNERS lets you do is plug into the stock PCM, pull it off the hardware, and start to play with the values. The rest is up to you... which I think you've figured out by now. GM had no intention of being jerks... the reason they locked the PCM is for warrenty purposes... anybody with a GM charger has a warrenty - you can change the VCM and beat the piss out of the car if they didn't lock it - so they did. This way they know the car will be driven within their "safe" paramters in terms of warrenty work and money they'd need to shell out for stupid punk kids breaking an otherwise fine automobile.

You will have a big tradeoff with HPT.... you won't be able to add fuel with boost. You won't have 2.5 bar ignition timing. The rest you can achieve but these shortfalls are the 2 main things you will have to overcome. It doesn't take much, just a chunk of math, a lot of time and some common sense.

I will be forthright with you - your attitude is mildly poor. "Answer my question or STFU" isn't a way to conduct yourself in a place of knowledge where you are seeking tutelidge. Sometimes a small bit of pride needs to be swallowed in order to hear the information you want... you might want to keep that in mind. All that I stated was that your current state of mind wasn't affording you the opportunity to absorb anything anybody was trying to tell you - you were on a one-track-mind.

Maybe you'll listen now? I don't know... but you can definitely take whatever derogatory comments you'll produce and shove them. I've tuned a few cars now, have you? I've built turbo J-bodies - have you? No you just bolted on a kit and decided to scream some nonsense about a conspiracy theory of GM to rob you of precious horsepower.

Do yourself a favour. Calm down. Read the posts.... and take the good with the bad. If the world was perfect you would get all the info you want handed to you on a silver platter and in all honesty you wouldn't even need to drive a meager J-body. You're a new member with little to knowledge of the platform, you've been on these forums for barely over 3 months.... shut your newbie ass up and be grateful that there are people that are still willing to help you.

I hope I answered your completely basic question with a satisfactory answer. If not - hey... STFU.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 21, 2006 6:57 AM
Sweetness none of that ranting was aimed at you. That was all aimed at someone that was being very arrogant. All I did was ask a simple question that Shifted and a couple others had answered before Mr. Arrogant piped in, with not knowing anything of what I want to do with this car at all. You on the other hand did not offer any advice, which is all good, but you were not arrogant either. No I have not had to tune a car after it was built, the cars I am used to building do not have on board computers. Yes I will have to learn the tuning part of this process, that I knew going into this project of mine. The 2.5 bar map, I already knew about having to fake. Also Sweetness, I respect what you have done with your Cav. Props to you.
The basic question I was asking, "is there a base program with HPTuners program to flash to your ecu", Shifted answered that a while back, at first I didn't think he got what I was asking, so I reworded it, same answer, so I asked is there away around that. Then someone threw out an idea that I did not think about, just get another ecu. Which is the way that I will be going. That way with HPTners (or at least I will find out) I will hopefully be able to read the settings that the reflash has everything set. If not then all I am doing is wasting my time trying to get those numbers off of the relashed ecu. If I am able to get the readings from it, then I will be in better shape to further tune the replacement ecu. Thanks for your constructive criticism.

GIT 'ER DONE!
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:21 AM
Thank you for a mature answer.

Yes you pull the stock pcm using HPT and go from there, this way you start with a stock tune - I recommend saving it right away so you always have it, both just in case you fawk up what you're doing and for reference to what GM thought was best.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:37 AM
Yes that is what I would like to do. I understand about the saving the origianl mapping so that you have it just in case. I know that HPTuners can not change anything to a reflashed ecu, but can it read any of it? Because if it can read some of it, that would give you at least some of the information that would be needed.

GIT 'ER DONE!
Friday, July 21, 2006 12:38 PM
I'm glad you finally changed your attitude BUT 600HP ain't @!#$ for a 350. Just so you know. My old boss has done much better than that on tons of engines of all varieties and flavors.

But I'm glad you've lightened up with your attitude

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, July 21, 2006 1:00 PM
Team Vision, that was when I was 18, by the time was 19 that car had 750hp, when I sold it, the blower was in the trunk and the under side of the hood marked off for the cut. The guy I sold it to was an older guy, blower is on it and is running over 1k hp right now.

My attitude was this, I do not like being told by someone that has no clue to anything about me, and knows absolutely nothing about talk smack about me. I do not come in here looking for that, and I am not one that is going to take it. If he and I were face to face when that happened there would have been a fight. I do not like violence but I am not going to let someone (especially someone that knows nothing of me) talk smack. That is where all that came from. I did not mean to offened anyone at all during that, if I did I am sorry to those that I offended. I am a believer of if you have nothing positive to say then say nothing. So am I an a$$, yes sometimes, but if I do not have nothing positive to say then I say nothing.

GIT 'ER DONE!
Friday, July 21, 2006 6:06 PM
05cav LS Sedan wrote:Then someone threw out an idea that I did not think about, just get another ecu. Which is the way that I will be going. That way with HPTners (or at least I will find out) I will hopefully be able to read the settings that the reflash has everything set. If not then all I am doing is wasting my time trying to get those numbers off of the relashed ecu. If I am able to get the readings from it, then I will be in better shape to further tune the replacement ecu. Thanks for your constructive criticism.

I may have misread what you put here, but it sounds like you're saying something about using hptuners to read the s/c reflash ecu, but that's the whole problem, hp tuners can't read the eco gm s/c ecu. the idea behind getting a second ecu is so you can tune it to work with the supercharger...but i don't believe you can get the settings off with hptuners...now if you could find some other tool or way to get the stuff off of the ecu, then that would be very beneficial, but so far i don't think anyone has. But it's not a waste of time to get a second ecu, because you should be able to reprogram it to be as good or better than the reflash...or at least that's the goal.
Friday, July 21, 2006 8:21 PM
^ Using the scanner you could at least get a general idea of where the spark timing is and the VE.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:00 PM
Thank you shifted, that will come in very handy. That would give me a nice little starting point for a 2nd ecu to swap into the car after the reflash. Once again thank you Shifted

GIT 'ER DONE!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search