Wondering the next step... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wondering the next step...
Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:51 PM
OK..

I own a 2k Z24, and I recently got a Magnaflow exhaust system installed. I advised the Muffler tec (he looked pretty fresh from school) to disconnect the battery, prior to welding the slip on tip. Now after I got the car back, it stumbles a bit. Now I understand that after modifying the exhaust, I opened up a plethora of problems because the ECU is stock.. its still using the factory fuel map, etc... you know what Im talking about...

It shifts a little late, which might be the transmission, though I dont know...

and I have an engine light on, (which is probably the computer wondering what the hell is going on)

The main point is, if he welded the pipe together, (which he did) and not disconnecting the battery, (which he might not have, since I pointed it out to him whilst it was on the lift) could he (the tek) have buggered the computer up?

The lift he used has rubber pads on the lifting lugs, so theres no way of any other ground, except back to the welder...

I dont know.. really, is why I ask... Im old school, Cams, cranks, Solid state, mechanical fuel injection, Im sure this cavalier is about
to teach me allot about E-prom, flash memory.. all that other good stuff...

anyways...

-ken

Can somebody give me a hand.... or atleast point me in the right direction?

Re: Wondering the next step...
Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:10 PM
he doesnt have to disconnect the battery, thats an old skool myth. (if anything went through the cars electrical you'll have alot more problems on your hands and you'd be able to see it)

are you running a cat conv? if not thats probably what your check engine light is. You didnt open up any problems or shouldnt have by doing the exhaust, to my understanding these cars run ritch from the factory, so opening up the exhaust helps offset that abit by allowing the engine to breath alittle more. The stumble will most likely have something to do with the CELL so get that code checked asap.

Start New Topic Advanced Search