need some help guys...... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need some help guys......
Tuesday, August 01, 2006 8:02 PM
hey guys,

here is the situation: i have the AEM universal ems installed on my 2.4 and its controling everything but the body control system.... the only problem i am having with the car is the battery voltage during operating conditions. i have come to find out that in order for the alternator to charge on the 2.4's, the stock computer has to sense an rpm signal before it will allow the alternator to charge. here is the problem, the stock computer is not even getting a tach reading when the car is running because the aem is running the engine. i did tap into the stock cam sensor for the aem but not the crank sensor. here is my question: i am pretty sure that the stock computer gets its rpm reading through the ignition control module but the problem there is i eliminated the stock ingnition control module and installed MSD direct drive coils with plug wires so therefore the stock ignition module is gone. like i said the stock computer is seeing no rpm signal and therefore not letting the alternator charge so the car is running directly off of the battery and only runs for a bit then the aem starts cutting out when battery voltage drops below 12 volts......the car should be seeing close to 14 volts when running if the alternator was charging. i just need to find a way to make the stock computer read rpms... i do still have the factory crank and cam sensor on the car and could splice into them for a signal if i need to but once again i think the stock computer gets its rpm signal through the ignition module. i am stumped guys and this is all i dont have figured out with this AEM and its killing me cause i only get about 5 minutes of driving in the car before it drops below 12 volts and therefore i cant tune the car... any help would be great guys..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search