$50 for anyone who reprograms my idle - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
$50 for anyone who reprograms my idle
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 2:53 PM
I have a 2002 5spd cav 2200. I use this car to deliver pizza and the high idle/coasting fuel consumption is killing my fuel economy (and my bottom line). If anyone in the Lancaster, PA area (or within 100 miles) has the equipment and know-how to adjust the idle speed on my car, I will drive to you and pay you fifty dollars for your trouble.

My car idles at 900 rpm when still but while in motion out of gear, it idles at 1200-1400 rpm for no reason. I would like to get idle and coasting rpm down to the same number.

Thanks

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Re: $50 for anyone who reprograms my idle
Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:14 PM
Hmmm... $50 to reprogram it, and it costs $100 in credits...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:28 PM
Shifted wrote:Hmmm... $50 to reprogram it, and it costs $100 in credits...

and most likely has another issue causing the high idle.....

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:37 PM
My Cavalier did it on the homestretch of a road trip this passed weekend. I'd be going 75 on the interstate, start going downhill, shift into neutral, and the rpms would stick at 1500 or so. It eventually went away towards the end of my trip. Does it do it all the time?

Pizza delivery is a lot of stop and go along with regular city driving, I'd assume. That in itself could be hurting your gas mileage too.

Just a thought.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:32 PM
mine has done that since the day i got it.....is this not a normal thing????

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:36 PM
Quote:

My Cavalier did it on the homestretch of a road trip this passed weekend. I'd be going 75 on the interstate, start going downhill, shift into neutral, and the rpms would stick at 1500 or so. It eventually went away towards the end of my trip. Does it do it all the time?

1500 is a more extreme case, but I'd say at least 1200. While the car is in motion, the revs NEVER drop below 1200. I know my high idle is costing me fuel economy because I screwed around with my IAC valve to lower the idle to ~500 and my city mileage jumped from 24 to 34. The only thing was, sometimes it would stall and the PCM didn't like it and threw a CEL. If I can get the PCM to drop the idle on its own, it would save me quite a bit of fuel and money.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:39 AM
where are you i should be able to do any 2002

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:39 AM
Incidentally, you shouldn't be coasting in neutral. It's actually illegal in some states.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:36 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:Incidentally, you shouldn't be coasting in neutral. It's actually illegal in some states.

WHAT? That's ridiculous.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:45 AM
I do it all the time, sue me

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:58 AM
Its a normal for GM 4cyls to idle higher when there is VSS above 10mph. It is an anti-stall improvement.
There is no parameter in HP that can change this.
There is nothing you can do.

sig not found

Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:10 PM
Quote:

Its a normal for GM 4cyls to idle higher when there is VSS above 10mph. It is an anti-stall improvement.
There is no parameter in HP that can change this.
There is nothing you can do.

It's also an anti-mileage defect. If programming won't fix this problem, then I guess I shouldn't bother, right?

I think the justification behind coasting in N being illegal is that cars can really rack up some speed going downhill without the engine braking. If sudden acceleration is needed, 5th gear is just as useless as neutral. Either way it requires a shift to get into a suitable gear.

I'm in Lancaster, PA and I'd be interested in doing this if it would take care of my coasting RPM as well. Otherwise, I'm going to attempt to build my own IAC controller and bypass the PCM.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:48 PM
All of this for the sake of a couple of dollars. Get a better job.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 04, 2006 1:02 AM
At this rate, I spend $3000 a year on fuel. Cutting the idle will save me about 30% of that. That's about $900, not a few bucks. Even if I didn't drive that much, this is something I'd still want to do. I'll do what I want with my car and use it for whatever job I wish. Nobody craps all over you for trying to make an economy car fast. If that's your thing, go for it. I'm trying to make an ECONOMY car more ECONOMICAL, I didn't know this was such a foreign concept to you. Since you've got nothing to contribute to anyone here or to the thread in general, STFU and take your crapping somewhere else.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Friday, August 04, 2006 5:03 AM
Solid Snake wrote:At this rate, I spend $3000 a year on fuel. Cutting the idle will save me about 30% of that. That's about $900, not a few bucks. Even if I didn't drive that much, this is something I'd still want to do. I'll do what I want with my car and use it for whatever job I wish. Nobody craps all over you for trying to make an economy car fast. If that's your thing, go for it. I'm trying to make an ECONOMY car more ECONOMICAL, I didn't know this was such a foreign concept to you. Since you've got nothing to contribute to anyone here or to the thread in general, STFU and take your crapping somewhere else.

Where do you get this moron information?

no load fueling at 1200rpm is almost identical to usage at 900 rpm.

Both of which are 1/100th of the fuel used under load.

The change you will see by changing the idle will not ever be perceivable.

I will reiterate the previous comment... if your that poor, sell your car and take the bus.

sig not found
Friday, August 04, 2006 9:41 AM
Cutting the RPM from 1200 to 900 is 30% right, well that only means its 30% less fuel. LOL

As Todd said, no load or deceleration coasting uses almost no fuel, regardless of RPM, DFCO takes care of that, and I bet you could let your car idle for days before it ran out of gas, try driving around and it takes a couple hours to run out, Todd nailed it on the head, no load fueling is insignificant as far as fuel usage goes, load based fueling is where you save money. The only time you are using a significant amount of gas is when you are accelerating.

Friday, August 04, 2006 1:09 PM
I'm trying to set both coasting and idle RPMs to 600, just like my auto does stock with the same motor. Coasting and idling is not insignificant. Although I use more GPH while accelerating, I spend much more time idling and coasting than I do accelerating. I can back up the 30% with numbers from my scangauge. Call it moron information if you want, but I'll believe the scangauge.

My car on a full tank will idle about 35 hours before it stalls out, this is about a day and a half.

Also, what's the rpm minimum for injector cutoff? I spend most of my day between 1K and 2K rpm and it doesn't seem to take effect between there.

No load fueling is insignificant on the highway maybe, but it is the reason city MPG is lower than highway MPG. If I eliminate no-load fueling completely (as in shut the engine off on decel) average MPG jumps to 50+ as I've posted in another thread. I spend about 4 hours in my car daily. I'm well aware of where and how it uses its fuel, so I don't need any speculation. If I didn't know for sure that this would help me, I wouldn't want to do it. Why do you think hybrids do so well? They don't run the engine at stop lights, or while crawling, or while coasting. On the highway, they do as well as any other 1.x liter car. They do so well in the city because no-load fueling is ZERO.

I don't see why everyone here is getting offended that I'm trying to pull more MPG out of the same motor you guys are trying to get more HP out of. It's AN ECONOMY CAR. I don't ridicule you guys for trying to turn an econobox into a dragster, why attack me? I didn't ask anyone if it was a good idea, I asked everyone if they could DO IT.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Friday, August 04, 2006 1:21 PM
Nobody's faulting you for trying to improve economy, but you're looking for it in the wrong places. You can mess for days with idle and coasting (and likely decrease driveability), or you could spend 1/2 hour in acceleration tables and see actual results.

How would you know how long your car can idle for on a tank of gas?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, August 04, 2006 1:29 PM
Because my trip computer says it uses 0.4 GPH at idle.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Friday, August 04, 2006 9:13 PM
just keep up on the maintence and deal with the mileage.

or you can try messing with the idle set screw on the t/b. not sure about the 2.2's if they have that.

Friday, August 04, 2006 9:46 PM
It's not an idle set screw, it's a minimum air adjustment. The IAC will always compensate so it makes no difference.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Sunday, August 06, 2006 10:02 AM
I'd change your other fuel maps as well. hope it works out for ya, I'd help, but as said helping you would cost me $100. g/l man!

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Sunday, August 06, 2006 2:54 PM
Solid Snake wrote:At this rate, I spend $3000 a year on fuel. Cutting the idle will save me about 30% of that. That's about $900, not a few bucks. Even if I didn't drive that much, this is something I'd still want to do. I'll do what I want with my car and use it for whatever job I wish. Nobody craps all over you for trying to make an economy car fast. If that's your thing, go for it. I'm trying to make an ECONOMY car more ECONOMICAL, I didn't know this was such a foreign concept to you. Since you've got nothing to contribute to anyone here or to the thread in general, STFU and take your crapping somewhere else.

big @!#$ deal, last year i spent about 6500 on gas for my Z24 and i dont even drive for a living! So your saying your idle is too high when coasting, wow so thats 30% fuel savings there where you may spend an hr a day if that actually doing. and your idle is 800rpm when stopped (actually 5spd = 750ish i think?) so by dropping that your just going to stall more. if thats the case shut the @!#$ car off when your stopped for awhile instead of idleing.

now if you actually listened to these people telling you something similar to what i am (waist of time) and tuned the stuff that would make a difference you'd be way better off. and if your bitching about a THEORETICAL $900/yr savings you need a better job because most likely your going to spend that "fifty bucks" (yea right like anyone would do it for that) and save probably 100/yr at most.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:12 PM
You're telling me you spent $6500 on fuel to feed a four banger for a year? You spent more than your car is worth, just on fuel, just for ONE YEAR. That's enough fuel to move a Corvette (a real sports car) 40,000 miles. Despite how ridiculous that is, you have the balls to yell at me for not wanting to do the same. Someone WAS willing to program my car for $50 and if his program allowed him to tune an unlimited amount of J's for free, why wouldn't he spend a few minutes to do it. Sorry that not all of us work jobs where we regularly make $50 for a few minutes of work like you do. Even if I did make that kind of money, I still wouldn't piss away $6500 in gas on a $3000 car. If your job is so great, why are you dicking around with Cavaliers anyway? Maybe if you didn't blow $6500/yr on fuel, you could afford a real car.

Actually bringing the idle RPM from 900 to 600 saves 33% and bringing coasting RPMs from 1200 to 600 saves 50%. I spend the majority of my drive either idling or coasting. Changing the fuel map while accelerating won't help much because I actually need that fuel to make me go, and it already at a pretty good mixture for economy anyway. Idle and coast is where I spend most of my time, and during these periods, the car does absolutely nothing. I don't have a problem stalling out my car, that's what the gas pedal is for. I'll determine what is a WASTE of my time, and even if I want my J to get better economy for the hell of it, that's my business.

I love how everyone gets their panties in a bunch when someone breaks their illusion of the J being a dragster. Did you ever think to yourself that tinkering with fuel maps on a N/A four banger motor on a FWD car just to shave a few milliseconds off your 0-60 might be a waste of time? We drive ECONOMY CARS, that were designed to get us from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. This is a FACT. Sorry to crush your dream. I use this car to work and to drive to school. I don't give a crap about speed and I'm not going to dump thousands into a J just so I can piss off some assclown in a Civic.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:31 PM
Its not that we think your insane, its just your math and reasoning is flawed. I don't care what your "trip computer" says, does it measure the fuel flow to and from the tank, figure the difference over time? I doubt it. Its probably solely RPM based. You are not using much fuel at all at idle. The difference in gas to make your car go from 900 RPM to 600, or 1200 to 900 is not a 50% savings. By that reasoning, if you made your car hit 3k you'd be using so much fuel your car would run out in about an hour or two just cruising. You aren't going to get any fuel economy changing your idle or adjusting your minimum air. You are using fuel in starts, not in deceleration or idle.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search