One question before HP tuners - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
One question before HP tuners
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:35 AM
Well I am about 2 days from buying HP tuners and have one main confusion before i really buy it.

This whole fake 2 bar thing makes a lot of sense but yet confuses me to its actual intent. Are we faking the two bar to the point where the computer along with the HP tuners will actually compensate for boost and through in the right amount of fuel (obviously I would have to set the correct VE table figures). Or are we just adding the 2 bar sensor so that the computer does not find the boost to be a little weird. To me everything I read makes it sound like faking a 2 bar really doesnt do anything. But yet that wouldnt make any sense because there would be no point in doing so.

I guess I am just trying to clear up what the actual results of doing this would be.

Re: One question before HP tuners
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:54 AM
If you don't have a turbo or supercharger, there is no point in faking the 2 bar...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:28 AM
Shifted wrote:If you don't have a turbo or supercharger, there is no point in faking the 2 bar...

I understand that. And I dont plan on faking a 2 bar until the turbo is in. Probably wont be for a while. I am asking this because it is going to influence my purchase decision.

Really its just a simple question (or rather complicated, whichever way you look at it) on what the outcome will be with a turbocharger after faking the 2 bar? Is it going to allow the tuner to program for boost seen by the 2 bar to be writen straight into the programing or how is this going to work. Basically I am trying to figure out whether or not if you fake to 2 bar does it actually turn HP tuners (stock ecu) into a 2 bar system that compensates for boost pressure.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:31 PM
Yeah it does. It changes your MAP based tables to be boost dependant, mainly the spark tables. The VE table is RPM and TPS based, so really doesn't matter what the MAP pressure is for that.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:12 PM
I hope I'm saying this right, but it should get the point across..Basically the idea behind faking the 2 bar is that when you change to a 2 bar sensor, you have to let the computer compensate for that, or "know" that, since it doesn't really know otherwise. A 2 bar sensor is going to have twice as big of a span of readings (numerically speaking) it can read in than a 1 bar. So, for example, if your 2 bar sensor reads in 150 kpa, the signal it sends back to the computer is going to be interpreted as half of that, or 75. I think this may have to do with the voltage level of the signal, but that's just a guess. Either way, its interpreted as half of what it is. So that's why you would take values that would correspond to 150 kpa and put them in the "faked" table under 75 kpa. That way when you have 150 kpa, the computer still looks at the right values.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search