HPT 2200 Thread - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPT 2200 Thread
Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:10 AM
Can we please use this thread to discuss the 2200 tuning? I am looking into HPT to get some extra power out of my car, but I am having a hard time finding good info or tips from people have the 2200 and are using HPT.

Re: HPT 2200 Thread
Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:14 AM
I have a boosted 2200 and have been using HPT for a while now.... Awesome results.... What exactly are you trying to accomplish?? I would advise you to make an update to your mods list.. Looks like it hasnt been touched since 04..

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:16 AM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:I have a boosted 2200 and have been using HPT for a while now.... Awesome results.... What exactly are you trying to accomplish?? I would advise you to make an update to your mods list.. Looks like it hasnt been touched since 04..

I haven't added a single modifcation to my car since 04, so it hasn't been updated. Just trying to eek out more performance.
Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:17 AM
Did some 2200 Turbo tuning... results were good.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:03 PM
Changing the PE delay to around 3000 and getting the AF ratios dialed in via wideband O2 sensor, and then playing with the timing will yeild good results. Compared to a stock tuned 2200 with intake, and full exhaust, the tuned one with only an intake and catback pulled about 3 buslengths on it to 150km/h.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:20 PM
Ian Brydon wrote:Changing the PE delay to around 3000 and getting the AF ratios dialed in via wideband O2 sensor, and then playing with the timing will yeild good results. Compared to a stock tuned 2200 with intake, and full exhaust, the tuned one with only an intake and catback pulled about 3 buslengths on it to 150km/h.

This is the stuff I'm looking for. I'm also looking for people to explain what they did exactly to get their results. The PE delay sounds easy enough to do.

Couldn't someone do the AF/Timing and then show us the tables to use for a near stock car?
Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:21 PM
hey ImPhat0260 , u have a boosted 2200 ?? how much psi are you running ? can u upload the hpt file? i have a 2001 sunfire and its getting knock pretty bad right now . up to 6 in some areas. any help is greatly appreciated.
Sunday, August 13, 2006 3:36 PM
Gh0st wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:Changing the PE delay to around 3000 and getting the AF ratios dialed in via wideband O2 sensor, and then playing with the timing will yeild good results. Compared to a stock tuned 2200 with intake, and full exhaust, the tuned one with only an intake and catback pulled about 3 buslengths on it to 150km/h.

This is the stuff I'm looking for. I'm also looking for people to explain what they did exactly to get their results. The PE delay sounds easy enough to do.

Couldn't someone do the AF/Timing and then show us the tables to use for a near stock car?

Each car will be different, so copying someone's tune is a bad idea. Do LOTS of reading 1st, and know what your doing and why before changing anything. AF ratio's can ONLY be determined with a wideband O2 sensor, so if you don't have your own, head to the dyno and use theirs. Timing advance can vary with things like fuel quality, altitude, weather, and internal engine factors, so each tune should be done for a specific car, this is very powerful software, and should be used accordingly.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 3:57 PM
blade0604 wrote:hey ImPhat0260 , u have a boosted 2200 ?? how much psi are you running ? can u upload the hpt file? i have a 2001 sunfire and its getting knock pretty bad right now . up to 6 in some areas. any help is greatly appreciated.
10 psi on T3 Super60.... Im guessing your knock is in higher RPM under full boost....... I would post my "latest" tune, but my laptop crapped on my a few days ago... New one should be here anyday...... Then I can read it again... Was one of those "out and about" tunes.... Post your Tune/log, I would like to take a look at it... BTW, what all are you running.. Your Mods page looks a lil outdated... Give me some more info as far as Fuel(injectors/psi) size turbo and boost you are running....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:59 PM
ok well its a 2001 sunfire with the 2200 in it and a 4 speed auto . performance mods are ...
j tuners turbo and intercooler kit
rc engineer 310 cc injectors
msd coil packs
accell 300+ spark plug wires
ngk tr6 ix spark plugs.
5 psi of boost.
stock fuel pressure. i think 43.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:10 AM
There's alot you can do with your tranny too, but getting the fuel/spark sorted out properly should make a big difference for you.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:42 PM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:I have a boosted 2200 and have been using HPT for a while now.... Awesome results.... What exactly are you trying to accomplish?? I would advise you to make an update to your mods list.. Looks like it hasnt been touched since 04..

What did you do to get the everyday drivability smooth so when you hit boost at partial throttle it still richens up......... thats the only problem with my car right now.....

to stay safe with the AFR I can only stay out of boost or MASH on it to get a good safe afr.......

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:31 PM
BoostedCavi wrote:

What did you do to get the everyday drivability smooth so when you hit boost at partial throttle it still richens up......... thats the only problem with my car right now.....

to stay safe with the AFR I can only stay out of boost or MASH on it to get a good safe afr.......

Lee

That is where the "countless" hours of driving around datalogging with a copilot driving..... Re learn all the LTFT cells, get a good sample of 100 counts or so in each cell and do some VE tuning...... my LTFT cells are perfect, my fuel economy is by far better than stock, and in full boost my AFR is 10.8.......Im in process of leaning it out a lil bit.... There are other tables that have been modified to achieve this, but I think you get the point.... Basically, HPT FTW

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, August 18, 2006 6:03 AM
Once I had the proper injector constant idle was pegged perfectly on its own... I then turned my attention to the low RPM VE tables and adjusted accordingly until at all low RPM's the car was running properly with no bogging and good AF's...

Then I turned my attention to the high RPM VE's and the PE... from there I tuned using the multplier and the tables to even things out until we had a good solid a/f.... knock never appeared once which is a serious bonus... I was anticipating seeing some and tuning for it but it never reared its ugly head.

1998 2200 running Ford Brown Top injectors, idling like stock, better drivability than stock, runs cooler, 11.8-12.0 across the board for A/F's with no knock at 10 psi.

2 bar map here we come.

And Imphat - your af's are far too rich... you're almost washing the cylinder walls right now. Lean them up some and you'll see a lot of power and cleanliness out of the motor. You'll never be able to see where the motor is "happy" for best fuel until you strap that little guy to the dyno

Lee - what happened to that "perfectly running" car you told me about a month ago? You know, perfect afr's, etc... seems I was right about the way your car is running. You NEED to get that thing into the hands of an experienced tuner and fork out the $$ to get it right.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, August 18, 2006 9:35 AM
Lee
That is where the "countless" hours of driving around datalogging with a copilot driving..... Re learn all the LTFT cells, get a good sample of 100 counts or so in each cell and do some VE tuning...... my LTFT cells are perfect, my fuel economy is by far better than stock, and in full boost my AFR is 10.8.......Im in process of leaning it out a lil bit.... There are other tables that have been modified to achieve this, but I think you get the point.... Basically, HPT FTW

This is where I have some work to do, what cells do you need to log to get the open loop VE sorted out? What targets are you looking for on LT and ST fuel trims when tuning like this? Do you bother to lock out closed loop, or just drive normally? There's not alot of data on the HPtuners forums for this, as most of the supported vehicles use MAF sensors, and have different steps to get it calibrated.

Friday, August 18, 2006 11:43 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:

Lee - what happened to that "perfectly running" car you told me about a month ago? You know, perfect afr's, etc... seems I was right about the way your car is running. You NEED to get that thing into the hands of an experienced tuner and fork out the $$ to get it right.

-Chris-

my can runs GREAT......... I was just want it BETTER.......... which even when HPtuners is in.... I will still want better.......................

Thats why Protomec is coming on tuesday/ wednesday from Michigan to tune my car.........

unless of course you want the 250 to change a couple tables....... haha.....

Thanks for the input and the downer comment again chris....

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
Friday, August 18, 2006 6:35 PM
Change a couple of tables? Hardly not. I can't wait to get derrick's car on the dyno.

And Promotec is probably the best person in the area you could have working on the car so that's a good move on your part.

Not much of a downer comment, I've watched you do things wrong again and again and then go back and fix them for more money. Good to see you'll do this part right.

Any time I hear from you the car is "running amazing"... good to see that now it will. Let's see what that little motor can put up with and for how long.

Of course, if you mod the motor you'll have to have Todd come down again.

As I've ALWAYS said (which you conveniently tend to ignore), good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, August 21, 2006 1:59 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:And Imphat - your af's are far too rich... you're almost washing the cylinder walls right now. Lean them up some and you'll see a lot of power and cleanliness out of the motor. You'll never be able to see where the motor is "happy" for best fuel until you strap that little guy to the dyno

-Chris-

definitly aware of that..... Problem is fixed now ...... My laptop decided it was ready to move on to "laptop heaven"... My new one got here day after the post was made... I stated in my above post that I was leaning it out........... As far as the dyno, I am waiting until the other engine is done....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:38 PM
i really want hpt... but i have a 96 2.2l

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:44 PM
So... dyno results Lee?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, August 25, 2006 3:43 PM
He didn't make it up here.... the dealer he was supposed to visit fixed the problem......

so no Hptuners yet.... oh.....

and you conveniently tend to ignore my need for Hptuners I have money now and am willing to pay you.... from what Todd (protomec) said.... all I need to do is have the PE come in earlier and add a little kick of fuel at 100kpa map.......... oh and the injector constant.....

You won't do it for 300 ??

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch

Monday, August 28, 2006 11:52 AM

well of course, i have 18s, slipping clutch, fully loaded, and a full stereo compared to a stripped tuned 2200 of course its going to be that brutal of a difference...

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, August 28, 2006 1:16 PM
BlkCav wrote:

well of course, i have 18s, slipping clutch, fully loaded, and a full stereo compared to a stripped tuned 2200 of course its going to be that brutal of a difference...

What's stripped out of that car? It's on 17's, so it's not like the rims are light. His clutch is slipping as well, plus I was in it, so add 180lbs to the equation. Not that it's worth arguing, but with your full exhaust and all other things equal, it should have been a close race, I believe the tuning made the difference.

Monday, August 28, 2006 3:34 PM
I'd be curious to see some actual numbers for a STOCK motor. As interesting it is to see what people are getting on a boosted motor, the fact is the original post was done by a man who has a stock motor with simple bolt-ons. And nobody has really answered the question of what affect will this software have on the typical motor with bolt-ons. It'd be interesting to see what a stock motor with the usual bolt-ons does with HPT compared to what it does with the factory settings. Surely someone out there has done this.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:39 PM
ln2johnny wrote:I'd be curious to see some actual numbers for a STOCK motor. As interesting it is to see what people are getting on a boosted motor, the fact is the original post was done by a man who has a stock motor with simple bolt-ons. And nobody has really answered the question of what affect will this software have on the typical motor with bolt-ons. It'd be interesting to see what a stock motor with the usual bolt-ons does with HPT compared to what it does with the factory settings. Surely someone out there has done this.
well, I have been tuning on Erin's(Bluzip/my fiance) car.... It has minor bolt ons and a 50 shot..... We have not made any runs at the track yet, or dyno runs for that matter.... But on a side note, both of us feel the improvement of the tune ..... I have also been tuning on another local here with a 97 2.2 ..... He has now moved up to a 75 shot on it... I know he is impressed and dumbfounded because his car runs better/and faster now (NA) then how it ran on the 50 shot... Both are happy..... The guy with the 97 has become a good customer(he keeps changing things/has to keep coming back to have me fix the tune for new mods) I will try to get some dyno numbers for one of them soon... Have to schedule some dyno time with my buddys shop.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search