OBD2... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBD2...
Sunday, August 06, 2006 8:34 PM
Hey everyone....

I just have a question concerning the datalink cable that connects my laptop to the car.

The laptop I have is all USB connections, which makes serial-port type connections sort of troublesome.. Anyways, I downloaded a program called "digimoto v4.3", and it workes fine, its just a matter of figuring out which connection needs to go where...

Thats the problem, has anyone ever ripped one of those connection cables apart and figured out which wire goes where? They have
told me that I need to buy some 45.00 cable, that looks simple enough to build myself..

if anyone can give me any info on this it would be a big help..

I mean, its fine that it works and all, but I like knowing how things work..

I want to connect the OPD2 plug, to a USB connection.. I know I need also a ciggarette lighter plug aswell (for the computer to take readings off the alternator, charging system)

cheers..

ken

Re: OBD2...
Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:05 PM
Its not just two plugs, there is a data translator that sits between it. The computer talks in ASCII serial data, the ECU talks in pulsewidth modulation, you need a translation circuit. Look up the ELM chip if you want to build your own circuit box and are good at circuit design, otherwise go to scantool.net to get the ELM compatible translator.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:02 AM
so i would need to buy this
connect it to a cable then to a laptop with tuning software and it would work??
Saturday, August 19, 2006 4:19 PM
Well, that would work if you wanted to scan your codes, maybe look at some engine sensors like RPM and MAP pressure, but you cannot tune with it.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 6:31 PM
ok, say i already have software, what types of cable/other hardware would i need?
Saturday, August 19, 2006 8:06 PM
There is only one kind of tuning software for us, HP Tuners, and you MUST have the HP Tuners cable to use it. No other cable will work.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 7:00 AM
ok, will that work on other cars though?
Sunday, August 20, 2006 7:40 AM
www.hptuners.com

that support many cars, mostly american i think... they have a list on their site of supported cars...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search