Turbo eco tuning issues ATTN: Shifted / others - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo eco tuning issues ATTN: Shifted / others
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:36 PM
Here's the deal. Been doing some HPTuners tuning on this eco with hahn turbo kit. In the end we would love to see steady 10-12 psi on a decent tune. I've tuned a few cars with HPTuners now and this is by far the biggest whore. With that being said let me know what you tuning guru's think...

Here are the issues i'm currently having and have not had in the past, this is my first eco tune so maybe i'm missing something. Anyways here are the biggest issues.

- Running on FMU alone at 9-10psi we set base f/p to 40ish psi, when we get into boost the in car f/p gauge will go up above 100psi no matter what we have the bleeder valve set to. Is this correct? The gauge is coming off the schrader valve port and these numbers just seem insanely high to me but I could be wrong.

- When into boost the car will begin to build boost and will break up in upper rpms 4000+ and the wideband LM1 will read lean like mid 14's at this point, however the fmu was fully closed to get the higher boost gain possible of 12:1, how could this be??? The FMU is hooked up correctly, however when I got the car it had no check valve on the bleeded and also the vacuum port was hooked into the wastegate vacuum lines, is this right as well, sorry I have minimal Begi FMU knowledge.

- Lastly when trying to use HPTuners and tune the car we were able to use an AFPR but it was not a 1:1. Therefore we got the car to run decent at around 12.5-13 afr and would lower the fuel more, however in order to get it this way we had to raise the VE offset from the stock 20% to 75%. However when doing this it made the idle and low speed fuel tables too rich, Is there a way to go lower that the 75 on the offset, if there is I do not know of it, HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! Any advice or input is greatlyyyyy appreciated, this whole car and the tuning have been enormous headaches, thanks guys, please respond ASAP.

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"

Re: Turbo eco tuning issues ATTN: Shifted / others
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:44 PM
Hahn has all their vac routing ass backwards... hypsy can help with that senario.

cant you change your idle and low speed ve tables? based on tps? and VE?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:04 PM
Thanks for the reply man, i've been trying to lower down the tables but now with the damn VE offset set to high at 75% (which is where it needed to be in order to begin seeing decent afr) it wouldn't allow me to lower the numbers in the cells lower than 75, is there any way to change this, if there is I would be all set and could then take out the fuel in the low rpm tables and the idel tables and leave the high rpm tables alone. If I could do that the car would be golden. Anyone have an HPT. tune for a turbo they are willing to send for me to compare. Car is bone stock with the addition of the Hahn turbo and the 38# upgraded injectors that come with the kit.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:19 PM
What about changing the injector conastant?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:51 PM
i've moved it a bit, any ideas on a decent "magic" number?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:54 PM
What size injectors?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:24 AM
i shoulda posted this info in my first post sorry anyways they are the stage 2 injectors from hahn so 38# brown tops or i think like 378cc, also has the begi fmu and thats about it. Right now with the cheapo manual boost controller all the way down im still seeing bewteen 9-10psi.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:28 AM
sorry to budge in but jimmy i didnt forget about you man, been really busy fixing my watered down TPS problem and tonight i fixed it along with put on the stock gt sides and front, it flows nice with the streetfire rear since i have the gt kit so all i have is a few more things to do and i should be on my way up to your place to get tuned man. hope everything goes great on this eco tune.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:49 AM
Quote:

When into boost the car will begin to build boost and will break up in upper rpms 4000+ the wideband LM1 will read lean like mid 14's at this point,

Any time there is a misfire, the O2 (std or wb type) will read lean. You can throw so much fuel at the engine that it misfires on the rich side, and as soon as it misses the O2 will start to show lean. IOW, the WB reading is useless during a misfire.

-->Slow
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:16 AM
1) The HRC injectors are Accel 32# injectors. Not Ford brown tops.
2) The vacuum lines are NOT ass backwards. It is done a little different and works increadably well.
3) The Ecotec has no open loop so it will try and pull back to 14:1AFR. Change the OL settings and see if that helps you.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:45 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:3) The Ecotec has no open loop so it will try and pull back to 14:1AFR. Change the OL settings and see if that helps you.

Exactly what I was going to say, change the PE delay to something reasonable so it doesn't try and pull any fuel you add to stay at 14.7 at WOT.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:44 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:1) The HRC injectors are Accel 32# injectors. Not Ford brown tops.
2) The vacuum lines are NOT ass backwards. It is done a little different and works increadably well.
3) The Ecotec has no open loop so it will try and pull back to 14:1AFR. Change the OL settings and see if that helps you.

Yes.. they are...

and yes ecotes have open loops.. just not 2003.5+

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:48 AM
The air fuel ratio's that i am seeing on the wideband absolutely cannot be correct. With the stock tune back on the car and only running the fmu and with a 12:1 boost gain set on the fmu and the idle fuel pressure at about 40psi when under full boost the car still see's like a 15-16afr, there's no way this can be right. Also when under full boost the fuel pressure gauge is going up over 100psi is this correct?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:51 AM
Yes over 100 psi is correct. But not good.

and yes if it is a 2004 that computer will do anything to fight back to a 14.7

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:01 AM
2004's SUCK!!!! anyways any ideas what a decent PE delay would be to try. I think i'm going to work off the fmu for fuel and tweak things with HPTuners if I can get things right. The car runs fine with just the fmu set correctly and the 8ish psi. This is an absolute nightmare

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:09 AM
jimmyc99z24 wrote:2004's SUCK!!!! anyways any ideas what a decent PE delay would be to try. I think i'm going to work off the fmu for fuel and tweak things with HPTuners if I can get things right. The car runs fine with just the fmu set correctly and the 8ish psi. This is an absolute nightmare

Set it to 1200rpm, it still has to acheive the TPS and MAP thresholds to go into open loop.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:17 PM
We had to refash the ECU to 2002 VIN to get it richer.
2004 was so bad that with 370's 255 Wally and 80 psi of fuel pressure with S-AFC +50% it was still at 13.6:1, so if you ahve a 2004 or damn near anything but a 2002 you A/F readings are probably correct.
Something that the 2002 ECU have that the newer ones don't.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:16 PM
brian(speedracerz) used HP tuners on my 02 ls sport. see if you can get the file from him and compare.

good luck

Team GREEN

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:45 PM
make sure you are monitoring the pulse widths ill bet you the computer is pulling them

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:46 PM
James,
heres an example of the injector constant equation. Seems to work pretty good for me and others i've talked too. I took it from shifted's post somewhere. Just plug in the stock inj. constant from the car, and the stock inj. size (cc) and do the rest. Hope that helps.
Nate

example
New constant = Old Constant x (old injector size/new injector size)

New constant = .17800 x (319cc/354cc)

New constant = .17800 x .90112

New constant = .16040

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Monday, August 28, 2006 11:44 AM
I tried the above formula, for some reason the car wouldnt even crank, mine is being a real pain to tune

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:12 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the Ecotec's are massive headaches to get tuned, seems like the ecu fights you every step of the way, especially on the 04 I just did. I've tuned numerous LD9's now and they are crazy simple compared to the eco's

Monday, August 28, 2006 4:43 PM
I think you would have alot less headache with a 2002 PCM

I think alot of my problems stem from whatever RSM did and id prob be better off getting one out a junkyard and starting over

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:14 AM
i set PE delay to 0rpm

that way it acts like a normal ecu SHOULD

IE: open loop when you punch the gas whenever you punch the gas

I have no idea what my air fuel ratios are right now, the only indicator I have is my narrowband

before, under wide open the LED needle would sweep still
now with PE delay turned to 0, the needle goes and stays green when wide open

granted i can't tune my fuel yet, but turning off PE delay will help some

hope that helps

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:42 PM
/me waits for new injectors to come in

Then i can get this all straightened out

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search