VERY DISAPPOINTED with HPTuners! - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VERY DISAPPOINTED with HPTuners!
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:52 AM
Well after a few days of tinkling with HP on my car, I came to conclusion that I will be going with AEM standalone.
#1 reason adjustability of fuel and spark by LOAD, through multibar MAP sensor.

I have seen that HP still comes up short on the fact that the only way that you can tune on our cars is via crap such as TPS and stuff like that.
With my injectors if I tune 3rd and 4th , 1st will still suffocate since 100% throtlle is 100% throtlle weather you are running 10 psi such as something in 1st gear or 20 psi in higher gears.

Basterd ECU is still so dumb that it doesn't see a few basic things.
Unless there is a way to trick the MAP not too see full load until 100% or something or full boost and then tune through MAP.
But then in the end it still falls short cause you are tricking and fooling and doing something it is NOT meant to do, and I am sick of that crap quiet frankly.

What does everybody think about that and why is is so damn impossibe to make 400-500 whp through only plug and play software that is available for us??

It sucks.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED with HPTuners!
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:39 AM
the AEM standalone would definitely be better then hptuners... one of the main reasons that hptuners is popular is because it is cheap and because there is practically no install required... plus as time goes on, they add more and more features such as RTT sooner or later a custom OS like the camaros do and multibar tuning, however it will be years before they can get close to what AEM is already.... of course AEM has the luxury of their AEM ECU

To tune our cars with a multibar map sensor you have to rescale the map tables based on what map sensor you have... but you have to rescale the value in the table opposed to the tables range . . . .

the way i see it, i got hptuners, and i didnt have to get a FMU, Fuel Pump, and I had control over spark as well... and also my tranny (me being auto and all)... and other things like my fans, speed limiter, rev limiter, allows datalogging, and a bunch of things

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:59 AM
I've got the feeling that the GM ecm can run circles around the AEM unit. Either you're not familiar enough with the GM software, or HPT just doesn't allow access to enough variables. My experience with OBDI simpler units is that they can do far more than most people think they can.

-->Slow
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:34 AM
Jasmin... let rodimus and I get a few days in tuning when my @!#$ is in and ready, I think we can get it nailed downa dn then help you out....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:19 PM
Thats why I am thinking about running megasquirt for my fuel portion of the tune once I get a turbo on. I know if pretty much makes half of the HP Tuners software do nothing. But I still like the easy data logging on HP and also the system features for like the fans and stuff.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:10 PM
SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:
Basterd ECU is still so dumb that it doesn't see a few basic things.

ECU=smart
Tuner= so dumb

sig not found
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:41 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:00 PM
Todd you can mess with me all you want, but I am not tunning the car, so you just called someone else dumb.
Rodimus, it wasn't all that funny.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:11 PM
wrong...it was funny indeed

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:46 PM
If you decide to sell your HP Tuner let us know, if the price is right I might buy it from you. If not I'm sure someone else here would take it off your hands.
Mike H
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:58 PM
Its not an HPT problem, its an ECU problem. If you think its a @!#$ty deal that you have to tune based on load, might want to talk to GM about them screwing up the S/C program for the eco to the point that HPT cannot read it.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:04 PM
Michael I don't have the program. Tuner has it and it cost me as much as 2 cradits to find out it doesn't suit my needs.
Shifted I am disappointed with the program but other are not and it suits their needs and what not, not mine unfortunatelly.
Or maybe I had a bone head tune my stuff, but too late now.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:11 PM
How can you say you are disappointed with it if you aren't the one who used it? You'd have to say you are disappointed with your tuners results with HP Tuners, it could very well (and most likely is), your tuners fault, not HP Tuners.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:19 PM
Well there it is you said it.
But from what he was telling me there was not much involved with the program such as LS1 ones and cobalt ones and stuff, so it would be very hard for him to make it happen.
He was willing to try but over the period of 3 months and @!#$, I couldn't afford that kinda time and then still have a chance that I might be upet with the outcome.
So I took the other route.

I had a feeling about not working out right and I went with it.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:10 AM
I'm really starting to get curious about what is and isn't in HPT. I've tuned GM vehicles back when you were lucky to get about 10 variables with datalogging, and those couldn't have been any slower than if the US Mail had delivered them. You could get really creative and make the ecm do some interesting things then. It's hard to believe that it's so difficult today.

-->Slow
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:56 AM
SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:Todd you can mess with me all you want, but I am not tunning the car, so you just called someone else dumb.

Yes, thats exactly what I did.

Ego much?

Here's a clearer one for you:

ECU=smart
Tuner= so dumb
Jasmin= ego so big everyone is always talking about or insulting him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:57 AM

sig not found
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:37 AM
No ego here, just stating that you called someone else dumb.
Simple.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:47 PM
I dunno, one of the guys in the JBOI had Shifted tune his Z24 - which has the supercharger kit - and he's loving every minute of it. Maybe you should have Shifted tune it. At least he knows what he's doing. If you had the ECU reflashed with teh supercharger program, then have the stock file loaded back into the ECU, or pick up another one, and have it retuned with the HP software by someone who knows what they're doing.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:17 PM
ln2johnny wrote:I dunno, one of the guys in the JBOI had Shifted tune his Z24 - which has the supercharger kit - and he's loving every minute of it. Maybe you should have Shifted tune it. At least he knows what he's doing. If you had the ECU reflashed with teh supercharger program, then have the stock file loaded back into the ECU, or pick up another one, and have it retuned with the HP software by someone who knows what they're doing.

the supercharger reflash adds functions for boost specific applications. in the case of jasmin he has a stock ecu so no boost functions which makes it harder to tune for boost.

hope that makes sense

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:19 PM
did you get your ECU reflashed?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:18 PM
It makes sense, Dante. But I'd still say have someone who knows the program do the tune. LIke I said, Shifted has already made it work for someone in our local club. I've talked to the guy he did it for and he has no complaints. Quite the contrary, actually. In fact recommended I have Shifted do the tuning for me when I finish my build. Which I likely will regardless of whether I buy the software and take the car to him or whether I just send him the ECU. At least I'll know it's done right. I don't really trust many of the locals.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:53 PM
I cannot let him just tune my ECU without my car there are too many options involved and how will be tune fro 25 psi, without my motor.
There are no maps there.

Yes the guys that have the flash it is easier for them cause they have multibar MAP sensors opposed to me having a 1 Bar.
I am sure tuner being clueless at some points didn't help.

I am moved onto better things now.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:02 PM
While I can tune the Eco ECU to use a 2 or 3 bar sensor, I won't do a turbo vehicle without having the vehicle with me, unless its a 2.4 2k+ 5 speed, only because I have a similar setup and its tuned with a wideband.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:40 AM
Makes sense. Just putting an option out there. But I can understand where you're coming from. I can see where a turbo would be a bit more tricky since the output isn't quite as predictable.

Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:19 AM
kiddies, There is a big difference between tuning a 160whp gm supercharged car and a turbo car with over 300 whp. Just some food for thought.

Any why does everyone get so butthurt when the ungodly HP Tuners is put down or given bad review?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search