tuning issues - any advice ??? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tuning issues - any advice ???
Monday, May 22, 2006 8:00 AM
Ok well this is a new development for the cavy. Last year the car never did this so i'm not really sure whats going on and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For those who don't know the setup ive got a 99 Z24 with built LD9, gm s/c setup, 2.5" pulley, alky injection, 3:1 fmu, afpr, and apexi safc2. Last season the car an beautifully with no issues. I've only had the car out a few times this season but its giving me fits. When i start the car up it is in open loop and does not seem to wanna come out of it. The car will idle rich as hell and puff out massive black smoke from the exhaust. It will do this for a couple of minutes and if you try giving the car any gas it just dies and sputters. AFter a couple minutes the car is fine and runs great, but why is it giving me the open loop issues upon startup? any ideas guys? i'm lost here. Nothing changed from last year so any advice you can shoot my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"

Re: tuning issues - any advice ???
Monday, May 22, 2006 8:10 AM
Bad O2 sensor? Bad ECT sensor?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:54 AM
thanks for chiming in shifted, i will check my upper 02 sensor to see if it's bad or not, i have an 02 sim on the lower one as i'm no longer running a cat on the car. And i apologize for my ignorance but what is ECT? Thanks for the help so far man i really do appreciate it.

Monday, May 22, 2006 9:11 AM
Engine coolant temp. But wouldn't your car be throwing a code if the primary o2 sensor was not functioning properly?

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Monday, May 22, 2006 9:34 AM
ECT - ahhh ok now i remember. Well It shouldn't be the engine coolant temp because that was replaced as of last fall. I will scan the car tonight and get all of the codes for it and then we can start to decifer this more. Being that the car is a 99 and im running the g/m charger i've always had codes dealing with rich and the map but this whole open loop thing is a new issue thats frustrating the hell outta me

Monday, May 22, 2006 10:34 AM
ya, see what the codes say.

and get the HP tuners set up .

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:17 PM
sorry guys I didn't get a chance to get it scanned tonight as it was raining here and couldn't make the trip to autozone. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow and I can get this thing figured out asap.

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:52 PM
maybe your FPR is goofed up.

try putting the stock one on and see how it runs.

Monday, May 22, 2006 11:31 PM
Check your map sensor, make sure the wires and connections are good. Do the same with the 02 sensor... take it out of the downpipe and get a look at it.

For the most part I would bet one of those is the culprit.

Good luck!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:35 AM
Hey Chris thanks a ton man, i'm going to grab the codes from it tonight after work and then i'll post them up here. I'll take a look at the map and i'm sure a new 02 sensor wouldn't hurt, i think the one in there is the original and has been though alot of tuning in the past.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:54 PM
ok guys heres the codes for ya, i havent had a chance to look them up yet but here are the numbers
P0137
p0125

I was actually kinda surprised it only threw 2 codes, but apparently these are the ones that make it run like ass

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:06 AM
the codes aren't making it run like ass, whatevers causing it to throw the codes is probably making it run like ass. I still can't believe so many people don't invest in a cheap code reader when doing fairly serious mods... of course i'm guilty too i didn't get the scantool for mine until long after i was running low 14's, but now after having it I can't believe I ever lived without it.

According to my google search, P0137 is a downstream O2 sensor code.... does the car have a cat?

P0125 is an ECT code... Inssufficient coolant temperature for closed loop mode... this is your problem right here 100%. Remember that just because it is throwing a code that mentions a sensor by name, it DOES NOT necessarily mean the sensor is bad. It could be a break in one of the wires to the sensor, corrosion in the connector, a loose ground, etc... It could also be that the engine isn't getting up to temp, perhaps the thermostat is stuck open? I've seen it happen lots of times on Dodges when I worked as a tech for them, typically the thermo had fallen apart inside the housing and wasn't blocking the flow of coolant. I'd make sure the temp sensor is plugged in securely, if it its, I'd say check the thermo... Not sure how hard it is to get to on a 2.4 but i'd be willing to bet thats your problem, if its a new ECT.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:08 PM
thanks for the help Scarab, I actually do have a scan tool, or I did but it is currently not working (Snap on owes me a new one) Anyways thats why i ran it to autozone just to get the codes and see what the issue was. The car does not have a cat on it, but it also does not have a rear 02 sensor, that is where i have my 02 sim plugged in and also im using the rear bung for the wideband. I will look at the ECT wiring, connector, and sensor itself tonight, then grab a new thermo and throw it in, it's not that difficult on the 2.4. Thanks for the help so far everyone, technology is great when it works and frustrating as hell when it doesn't.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:33 PM
ok this makes absolutely no sense to me... I bought a new ECT sensor, installed it, and started the car up, the car idles very irradically and was rich. When taking off the car hesitates and feel like its cutting out. Once the car is warmed up it runs perfectly fine, but everytime i shut it off and restart it i have this same issue with the idle WTF? The car actually ran better when i put the old sensor back in the car

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:19 AM
anyone have any ideas???

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:37 AM
Weird, I'm having the same problem with my '99 Cav Z24 with the GM S/C. The CEL is on, but I haven't had a chance to check to see what the code(s) are. I will check on Monday and see if mine are the same.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search