Anybody actually make their car faster using HPT? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anybody actually make their car faster using HPT?
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:34 PM
Well,
its a valid question! I know flyingsquirrel is back to his 14.9s (N/A), but I'm consistantly .2-.4 tenths slower now. lol. Was doing consistant 14.0-14.1s with 2.1-2.2 60sfts. Then after I got hpt, i realized my injectors were way over max, so i put bigger ones in. Changed the inj. constant, and now have the afrs set at a nice 11.9-12.0. BUT she doesnt have that last little pull like she use to. All other things wth hpt are ur standard minor stuff (limiters, fans, torque management , PE, ect.)

I didnt actually get a chance to log the afrs of my set up with i was running my fastest times, but I know the afrs did get a little lean. HOWEVER, i did some leaner run tunes, 12.4-12.9 and it didnt seem to make a diff.

Just curious to see how others have faired.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: Anybody actually make their car faster using H
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:47 PM
I ran faster after my hp.. but thats only ebcause I was revving till 7k so my gears were longer...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:55 PM
yea i dunno yet because i've been making a lot of changes but I know I hit a 14.9 on a reasonably warm day. I have a feeling with some more tuning, and a built head

I'm probably at one point going to do some comparison runs between stock ecu and the current tune I'm on at the track

but that will have to wait until november when the test n tune off season is back

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:57 PM
haha i should prolly try finishing my posts..

with a built head and cams and no more balance shafts I'm hoping for a 14.7 or faster my traps are already at 92.5mph

what got me back into 14s was the lack of heavy ass wheels in front with DRs that weren't helping

but I'm sure the HPT blind tuning didn't hurt =)

to be continued....

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:19 PM
Before HPtuners my car was tuned using an fmu, afpr, and an apexi safc. My afr's were around 11.5 ish and of course I was on the stock timing curves. My best run on that setup was a 13.56@105mph. Now the car is running on HPTuners and I can say performance wise I have noticed a large difference, not really as far as a 1/4 mile time goes but more so all the way through the rpm range. The car now runs 12.2 afr on pump with about +15 degrees advance timing, with that setup the car consistantly pulls 13.5-13.6's safely with zero knock, im sure I was getting some knock before with the previous setup.

However this is not how I race the car, when tracking or even looking to "race" the car is generally on 110 octane leaded race fuel, or a mixture. On this setup my afr are around 12.7-12.9 and +25 degrees of advance timing. My car has run a 13.26@107mph with this setup. I honestly wasn't looking for huge gains in hp when I bought HPT, i wanted to car to drive like stock and be safe and that has been achieved so I am very satisfied. Tuning software generally will not net you HUGE hp gains unless the car was incredibly poorly tuned to begin with. So anyways to answer your question though Nate, yes I am now faster and more happy with the car with HPTuners.

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:27 PM
Hey James.

Ya, i know what you mean about not making huge gains. I honestly wasnt looking for that either, but to be able to run consistant 13.9s with a safer amount of fuel Ur set up is a little more extreme, and 13.5-13.2 is awsome!

Anybody else?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 10:15 PM
hey james..

what do you have ur target PE AFR set at? GMs got the normal operating temps of 133F (56C) and 176F(90) @ 13.00 afr. I set mine to 12.0 (hence slower times) . But what do u have it set at then? Cause obviously, the stock set up must have been running in the mid 12s afrs.

Nate

Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:11 AM
james,
what plugs are u using in ur cavy??

Nate

Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:11 PM
Hey Nate, i put the plugs in the car this spring so I honestly am nut entirely sure of the number off the top of my head, but they are AC Delco and are two steps colder than stock. Also my PE AFR is set to 12.0 right now on pump and on race gas I bump it up to 12.5. However I haven't noticed a huge difference with changing this when it comes to monitoring my wideband. The ecotec I tuned a couple weeks back was very bad though, it did everything in it's power to fight me to stay lean.

"Horsepower is the Ultimate Accessory"
Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:32 PM
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:I ran faster after my hp.. but thats only ebcause I was revving till 7k so my gears were longer...

Track times? To provie this?

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:16 PM
I took 3 tenths off just by revving to 7000, the car makes 18 more hp at 4500 than what it does at 4000

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:17 PM
John Higgins wrote:
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:I ran faster after my hp.. but thats only ebcause I was revving till 7k so my gears were longer...

Track times? To provie this?

No but cars I raced that iw as equal to before I beat... but I guess that doesnt matter does it

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:46 PM
mm... u think the ld9 will hold to 7k? With the msd box, it won't let me rev past 6550 in 1st and 2nd but lets me go to the 6700 of the ecu limiter. Weird eh. I check all the msd box settings and they are all set way above the rev limiter settings. Its been fighting me since i installed it right before the track last friday.

Nate

Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:17 PM
Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:32 PM
C24s/c wrote:mm... u think the ld9 will hold to 7k? With the msd box, it won't let me rev past 6550 in 1st and 2nd but lets me go to the 6700 of the ecu limiter. Weird eh. I check all the msd box settings and they are all set way above the rev limiter settings. Its been fighting me since i installed it right before the track last friday.

Nate

When I installed my smd we had to test and tune for the limiter ebcause we have 2 rpm sources.... so my msd sees half... and we set it on the wastespark 2 see double but even then I dont see the right rpms from my box so i kinda set it...

like my dials say 9200 limiter but its at 6500 (example)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, September 01, 2006 6:59 AM
C24s/c wrote:mm... u think the ld9 will hold to 7k? With the msd box, it won't let me rev past 6550 in 1st and 2nd but lets me go to the 6700 of the ecu limiter. Weird eh. I check all the msd box settings and they are all set way above the rev limiter settings. Its been fighting me since i installed it right before the track last friday.

Nate

Unless you have an upgraded oil pump, I wouldn't risk it.

The only way of measuring my improvement is against other cars, which have remained constant while I've made changes. To try and reduce variability, we've been going from 2nd gear rolling starts. I've gone from very close races where I'd pull 1/2-1 length by 100mph, to pulling 6+ lengths on the same car by 100mph, so the improvements are definitely there. I might add, that the last races were run with regular fuel, and the 1st ones on premium.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, September 01, 2006 7:05 AM
Yup.

But I own an LS1 ... so its different.

Friday, September 01, 2006 7:59 AM
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:

Nate

When I installed my smd we had to test and tune for the limiter ebcause we have 2 rpm sources.... so my msd sees half... and we set it on the wastespark 2 see double but even then I dont see the right rpms from my box so i kinda set it...

like my dials say 9200 limiter but its at 6500 (example)

The msd instructions say that whatever limiter is lower is what its going to hit. So if the box is set at 9+ it will hit the pcm limiter. Or vice versa...however, it won't go past the stock rev limiter for me. EVEN tho before i installed it, it was reving to 6700.

Nate

Friday, September 01, 2006 5:53 PM
Ian Brydon wrote:

The only way of measuring my improvement is against other cars, which have remained constant while I've made changes. To try and reduce variability, we've been going from 2nd gear rolling starts. I've gone from very close races where I'd pull 1/2-1 length by 100mph, to pulling 6+ lengths on the same car by 100mph, so the improvements are definitely there. I might add, that the last races were run with regular fuel, and the 1st ones on premium.

What things did you modify to get gains like that?
Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:33 AM
Update.

K.. well I have my afr set at nice 12.1-12.2 all the way through. Went to the track last night. Botched my first 2 runs.. missed 3rd hard..had to double clutch it and ran a 14.8 and 14.9..lol..both times only 2-4 tenths behind my buddies Bullet mustang. Sucked tho. So the rest of the night i had to baby 3rd, and ran a 14.3, 14.4 with 2.3 60fts and a 14.1 with a 2.2 60fts. Those times are on par for my previous consistant times of 14.0 and 14.1s with 2.1 & 2.2 60fts. I was having trouble getting out of the hole last night. i'm thinking after 4 weeks of my test and tuning on the farm roads, my stock clutch is starting to show its pain. lol.

Anyhow, i have come to a conclusion that the gm s/c setup likes 12.3-12.4 afr for they most power. Tune it for that! The stock set up shows a target afr of 13.0 at operating temps..so i think its safe. Hell...i've been pounding on my cavy everyday on the back rds, with burnouts and 0-160kmr runs, powershifting etc, and is holding up fine.

Oh ya.. my misfires didn't seem to be there last night.. although whenever i get a really choppy launch it tends to pop up.

My 2 cents.

Nate

Sunday, September 03, 2006 3:05 AM
did you compare your slips from 13.94 and consistant 14.0's to your latest times to see where you gained/lost power ? also what seems to be the duty cycle on those 2.0 s/c injectors, still got some room in them im guessing?

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:45 AM
BOOSTED (The Untuned Demon) wrote:did you compare your slips from 13.94 and consistant 14.0's to your latest times to see where you gained/lost power ? also what seems to be the duty cycle on those 2.0 s/c injectors, still got some room in them im guessing?

Yup, i compared them. This tune i finally made the car runs just as fast(powerful?) as my best times before. With the 2.0 s/c injectors i was seeing around 70%. But actually swapped in a set of 42lbs now, I got them at a very good deal

Nate

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:55 AM
C24s/c wrote:james,
what plugs are u using in ur cavy??

Nate

the a delco that are 2 steps colder are part # ac 41-602

Monday, September 04, 2006 12:01 AM
C24s/c wrote:
BOOSTED (The Untuned Demon) wrote:did you compare your slips from 13.94 and consistant 14.0's to your latest times to see where you gained/lost power ? also what seems to be the duty cycle on those 2.0 s/c injectors, still got some room in them im guessing?

Yup, i compared them. This tune i finally made the car runs just as fast(powerful?) as my best times before. With the 2.0 s/c injectors i was seeing around 70%. But actually swapped in a set of 42lbs now, I got them at a very good deal

Nate

i see. what all did you change with hpt because if you'd think you would have dropped some tenths. next week im going on a road trip this weekend to get mine tuned, im getting the works done on mine so i hope these new injectors can hold up so i can get tuned for the 65 shot , good luck nate

Monday, September 04, 2006 6:06 PM
John02 wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:

What things did you modify to get gains like that?

Got my WOT AFR between 12.6-12.8 from 3000 to redline, and advanced my timing a few degrees where I could, pulled a bit where I saw KR, dropped my PE delay point to 1600 or so, and that's about it so far. I'd like to start tuning the part throttle tables and see what kind of response and fuel economy gains I can see, but I bought a house and built a garage this summer, so time's been at a premium.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search