LM1 and HPT readout don't match - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LM1 and HPT readout don't match
Monday, September 04, 2006 9:34 AM

Hey guys, I went out yesterday and did some more data logging. I've been having trouble getting the two programs to read the same all along. But now I'm tired of trying to record with the LM1 and the HPT and figuring out my afr. When the LM1 is reading 12.2-12.5 the HPT is showing 8.4-8.7 or some where around that.

So would it be possible to hard wire the the wideband (right after the header collector) using the 2nd narrowband wiring with the heater wire to run the wideband sensor for the HPT to read directly from it and eliminate the 2nd narrow band completely and not have to use the LM1 control box anymore?

Hope that makes sense...

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"

Re: LM1 and HPT readout don't match
Monday, September 04, 2006 9:42 AM
i'm having difficulty following what you're getting at...

2nd narrowband? how many narrowbands do you have?

2nd O2 sensor you mean... that shouldn't be used for tuning your car at all. That o2 sensor should be ignored at best

the only o2 sensor that matters is the wideband.

do you have HPT with the advanced I/O ? if so, you should be running the wideband to the LM-1 and to HPT

the narrowband shouldn't be giving either of your tuning tools ANY tuning input at all. Zero.

Monday, September 04, 2006 9:51 AM
How do you have the wideband set up in the HPT table view? There is a certain sensor you need to pick. Also make sure that the HPT box is grounded to the same ground as the LM-1 control box.

BTW, you can't use a wideband without its controller, thats what translates the signals from the sensor into a voltage and readout.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, September 04, 2006 10:04 AM
Quote:

BTW, you can't use a wideband without its controller, thats what translates the signals from the sensor into a voltage and readout.

I was pretty sure of that but it was worth a shot.

The HPT is set for PID LM1 but I have the ground for the LM1 through the cig lighter and the HP is on the data port.

"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Monday, September 04, 2006 10:16 AM
Use the same ground for both, it makes a difference.

Which wires do you have hooked to which pins on the HPT box? Like LM-1 Input to pin 1, ground to pin 5?

Monday, September 04, 2006 1:36 PM
Input to pin 1, ground to pin 5 , yes.

So just cut the ground wire form the cig. plug on the LM1 and run it over to the data port?

Monday, September 04, 2006 2:58 PM
No, take the ground that you have running to pin 5, and ground it to the ground side of the cig plug. Don't change the data port stuff.

Monday, September 04, 2006 3:55 PM
I tried that , but I just sat at idle and noticed that as the LM1 goes leaner , say from 14.0 to 14.8 the gauge on the HP goes from 12.1 to 11.4 or so. The gauge on the HP is showing it going richer while the LM1 and my afr gauge in the pillar is showing it going leaner. So I switched it back to the way it was and it still does the same.

I'm out of here for the night and I'll try to dink with it some more tomorrow. I'm thinking now I should have just went straight to hooking up my Tec3 instead of wasting my time playing with this program. But I have picked up almost 4mpg on my GMC Canyon by tightening up the shifts in the trans. ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 04, 2006 4:09 PM

Monday, September 04, 2006 6:37 PM
Which LM-1channel are you using?
Is the output scaling for the channel being used is correct for the HP unit?

From Innovate Motorsports...
"As factory programmed the first output simulates a typical narrow band oxygen sensor. The second output is programmed to output between 1.0 V for an AFR of 10 (gasoline) and 2.0V for an AFR of 20.

From HP Tuners help...
"Predefined Inputs
• Wide Band O2 - LM1: result = volts / .5 + 10 "

So if output is factory configured on channel 2 , HP should range from 12:1 to 20:1, when actual is 10 to 20.
Factory configured using channel 1, range from 10:1 to 12:1 when actual is 10 -20.

Changing the config of either channel to 0v=10af 5v= 20af will make the LM output match the HP scale.

Using the HP scaling for LM1 should never let you see a # less than 10:1 because any voltage above 0v will = something above 10:1... unless....

The output from the LM1 is wired into the HP backwards. If its backwards, then 2.35v (should read 14.7) will read as -2.35v which will read as 5.3:1af. 12:1 actual will read as 8:1af.

sig not found
Monday, September 04, 2006 9:20 PM
You need to adjust the output settings on the LM1. You have to connect it to a computer and adjust it according to the directions included with it. It's not hard and it will fix your issues I bet.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search