1996 Tuning question? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 Tuning question?
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:30 PM
Man it's been a LONG time since I posted here, back when I had my 99 Z24 when it was new lol. Anyways on to my question. I have a 96' Cavalier 2.2 OHV vert' that I am using as a DD right now. I've been tossing around the idea of when the motor goes (has 159,000 on it), throwing in some forged pistons/rods, Patriot head, JBP Camshaft, pushrods, Comp Cams Rockers, and adding some boost via a single turbocharger (still picking out a nice one), maybe somewhere in the 12-15psi range. I see HPTuners has 97+ software, is the 96 Computer different than the 97 2.2? From what I've been searching it doesn't seem to be, could it be just a misprint in their catalog? Any help would be appreciated or if you know of any other good software for the Cavy out there. Wanna build something fun while I finish the resto-rod on my tempest. Kinda weird being back in a FWD haha, but I still got my truck and Tempest

Re: 1996 Tuning question?
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 3:13 PM
Its different. Either you have to convert to a 97+ ecu, or go to a different system like Megasquirt or AEM.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:45 PM
Can you convert without changing the engine wiring harness? Might have to start scrounging the yards and ebay for one if I have to change the harness. I swapped an LS1 into my Iroc so wiring doesn't scare me, but would rather not have to lol. Seeing as this isn't my heart and soul project lol. Thanks for the reply
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:55 PM
You can, but you have to repin the PCM connectors.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:08 PM
The 96 is a 3 plug harness with a 3 plug computer. You would need a pigtail harness and splice it into the 3 plug harness, so you could plug into a 97 compputer...which is great because you can keep your stock 96 computer and have a stock tune for whatever you need it for....just unplug the 97 out of the pigtail harness and plug in the 96 computer into the 3 plug harness. But...if you dont wsnat to wire, 97 harness is the best way to go.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:40 PM
Anyone know where to get the wiring diagram to do this at? Might have to break out my Haynes manual lol
Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:31 AM
I just did my '96 about a month ago. Wasn't to hard. You'll need the harness plugs for a '97> I'll try to sit down this weekend and do a little write up on how to do it.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:29 PM
^That would be super spectacular...although, it cant be hard at all if you have both wiring diagrams. Did you keep your 96 plugs on there?
Friday, September 08, 2006 2:41 AM
Can you get the plugs at Gm? I'm looking for a set of plugs for the 97 Ecm to plug on my W41 and tune it with Hptuner.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:15 PM
http://www.currentperformance.com/Connectors/connectors.html

MFK, this ios a very good site, has about every connector available, for very good prices too compaired to GM.
Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:00 AM
Thanks

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search