Any Ecotec Megasquirters out there? I need some help - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any Ecotec Megasquirters out there? I need some help
Friday, September 22, 2006 7:50 AM
Hey Guys, I am working on putting a 2.2 Ecotec out of a 04 Cavailer, into my Fiero. I did not get ahold of the ECM and the secuirty box thing I needed so I will be megasquirting it. Id like to see if anyone else is megasquirting an Ecotec yet. I am need of the sensors used and general help before i get started on it. I posted this on EcotecPower but havent got any responses on it.

Re: Any Ecotec Megasquirters out there? I need some help
Friday, September 22, 2006 2:04 PM
there are some people on here that have ms on an eco... you might wanna try the ms forums too

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, September 22, 2006 8:48 PM
what exactly is your question? i have MS on my 2200, and plan on running it on my eco swap.

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:41 PM
Volumeking333(Ryan) wrote:what exactly is your question? i have MS on my 2200, and plan on running it on my eco swap.

Which Megasquirt board do I need? I need to control fuel and spark so I guess I need megasquirt 2, or do I need the other top end one? Is the MS2 compatiable with the eco ignition or do I need to run a MSD Distributor Ignition? If so does it include a coil? If I go MSD do I need to control spark since its a Distributor (please for give me ive only worked with DIS) Where do I get the crank signal from? There isnt a sensor on crank like previous motors ive worked on.

Im still a little overwhelmed with megasquirt to go to the forums, still not sure what questions to ask thats why I am here, I am among the first that are swapping an Ecotec into a fiero and I beleive the first to attempt megasquirt. So support for my situation is sparse and leaves me guess on alot.

Hmm I think thats it off the top of my head, I have some others tho

Friday, September 22, 2006 10:13 PM
basicly megasquirt 2 is a "daughter car" or upgrade from the processor in the V2.2 board or v.3
you'd need to this run ignition on a DIS set-up along with MSnS-E program coding.
You can't exactly run the stock ecotec ign system, you can how ever swap it to an older quad four or 2.2l DIS set-up
here is a link for running DIS DIS ign.
it has been used on a few cars, and the author was going to try to use in on his ecotec.

p.s. there is a crank positioning sensor on an ecotec

Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:04 AM
Volumeking333(Ryan) wrote:basicly megasquirt 2 is a "daughter car" or upgrade from the processor in the V2.2 board or v.3
you'd need to this run ignition on a DIS set-up along with MSnS-E program coding.
You can't exactly run the stock ecotec ign system, you can how ever swap it to an older quad four or 2.2l DIS set-up
here is a link for running DIS DIS ign.
it has been used on a few cars, and the author was going to try to use in on his ecotec.

p.s. there is a crank positioning sensor on an ecotec

Yea where is the crank sensor???

I never thought about just doing a DIS ignition, wow that would save me a few bucks. I have brand new coils for my 3.8 thats in it right now, I just need a control module. What cars would be the best to get it out of?

So basically I need MS2 w/ MSnS-E Coding? If I buy a unassembled board how do I get the coding?

Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:51 AM
you have to flash it its not that hard. and you can get the code anywhere. check the ms website. I have the fuel setup on an eco if you need help.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Sunday, September 24, 2006 6:29 PM
Fast Fosgate wrote:

I never thought about just doing a DIS ignition, wow that would save me a few bucks. I have brand new coils for my 3.8 thats in it right now, I just need a control module. What cars would be the best to get it out of?

So basically I need MS2 w/ MSnS-E Coding? If I buy a unassembled board how do I get the coding?

crank sensor is front of the motor, directly below the oil filter on an ecotec

they say in that info, to use one relative to your motor, but since none of the motors are like the ecotec in general, i'd say just use any one off the list they have in that info

the code needs to be burned to the chip, and it can be found anywhere on the ms site, just search around

Monday, September 25, 2006 11:32 AM
Volumeking333(Ryan) wrote:
Fast Fosgate wrote:

crank sensor is front of the motor, directly below the oil filter on an ecotec

they say in that info, to use one relative to your motor, but since none of the motors are like the ecotec in general, i'd say just use any one off the list they have in that info

the code needs to be burned to the chip, and it can be found anywhere on the ms site, just search around

How do you burn it into the chip?

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:25 PM
Also do I need to change any sensors so the megasquirt can use them? (ie will the stock cranksensor/tps sensors work?)

Can I use a control mod for the DIS off say a 2200 cavy? What type of wiring do I need to do it? Can I use my coils off my 3.8? I just bought 3 new ones and have no use for them right now.

Also anyone know where I can get the braided fuel lines for, I need to run all new ones and dont want to do hard lines again.

Monday, September 25, 2006 3:49 PM
if your runnign MS as a full standalone, the stock sensors will work. just need to be wired. if you still haev the stock PCm you need to double up on the sensors.

the tps can be spliced into however if your using stock pcm also.

yes you can run the control mod off a 2200, all the rest of info should be at MSefi.com and related sites

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:12 PM
Volumeking333(Ryan) wrote:if your runnign MS as a full standalone, the stock sensors will work. just need to be wired. if you still haev the stock PCm you need to double up on the sensors.

the tps can be spliced into however if your using stock pcm also.

yes you can run the control mod off a 2200, all the rest of info should be at MSefi.com and related sites

Im doing full standalone, couldnt get the ecm.
Doing megasquirt seems alot easier now.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:03 PM
I am using the MS-2 on an 02 2.4. I cant get the ignition to work on mine. The MS-2 is nice but a pain in the rear to build. If anyone can help me on my ignition problem that would be great.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search