PE Spark Table Layouts (Under Boost) - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PE Spark Table Layouts (Under Boost)
Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:15 AM
** Warning. Possible newb question. Semi Long... **

Im not sure how to ask this exactly...

I have a ecotec, and hptuners... I am starting to mess with these tables, and I wanted to ask a few questions...

Spark tables are map vs rpm so the tables look something like this

map 0/10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100
rpm

** im going off of memory here, so that might be inverted....

my question is this... as the pressure and rpm increases... based off the the table i post above... the highest timing numbers should be at the top left and the lowest timing numbers should be at the bottom right??

assuming that the deduction above is correct the general layout of the table should be something like this....

25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20
20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15
15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10
10 | 09 | 08 | 07 | 06 | 05
05 | 04 | 03 | 02 | 01 | 00

these numbers are obviously just made up to try and express what i am thinking...

any help is appreciated!! Thanks

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|

Re: PE Spark Table Layouts (Under Boost)
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:14 PM
The highest numbers are at the lower left with the table arrangement above. Spark needs to increase with more rpm and it needs to decrease with more pressure. Sometimes, however, you find an OEM table with higher numbers in the center of the RPM range at MAP levels representing light cruise.

You may also find OEM tables (prolly none for Eco) which have higher spark values at idle or when the throttle is closed, in order to help obtain smooth idle while providing decent off-idle driveability and emissions.

You can make your car feel snappier by adjusting spark advance so it comes on very quickly at lower rpm. Newer pcm's have code to prevent trans destruction but it sounds like HPT gives access to these variables.

OEM's also have to consider emissions when setting spark timing. More advance tends to clear up the HC but can caused more NOX. Less advance reduces NOX by cooling the chamber but can increase HC and CO. A catalytic converter will "fix" HC and CO easier than NOX, so an OEM cal may tend to favor less timing.

-->Slow
Re: PE Spark Table Layouts (Under Boost)
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:20 PM
slowolej wrote:The highest numbers are at the lower left with the table arrangement above. Spark needs to increase with more rpm and it needs to decrease with more pressure. Sometimes, however, you find an OEM table with higher numbers in the center of the RPM range at MAP levels representing light cruise.

You may also find OEM tables (prolly none for Eco) which have higher spark values at idle or when the throttle is closed, in order to help obtain smooth idle while providing decent off-idle driveability and emissions.

You can make your car feel snappier by adjusting spark advance so it comes on very quickly at lower rpm. Newer pcm's have code to prevent trans destruction but it sounds like HPT gives access to these variables.

OEM's also have to consider emissions when setting spark timing. More advance tends to clear up the HC but can caused more NOX. Less advance reduces NOX by cooling the chamber but can increase HC and CO. A catalytic converter will "fix" HC and CO easier than NOX, so an OEM cal may tend to favor less timing.

-->Slow

awesome info man!! exactly what i was looking for... Thanks!!

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search