HPTuners + OBDII rediness monitors = emesions legal?? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPTuners + OBDII rediness monitors = emesions legal??
Friday, September 29, 2006 9:33 PM
Ok my buddy has a bad cat, I was saying pay someone with HPTuners for some credits and have them turn off the computers ability to read cat codes and then just hollow out the junk one. My question is if you turn off the cat code will the rediness monitor still set for the cat? For anyone that doesn't know when you go for emessions (in IL anyway) if you have an OBDII car they don't run it on the dyno anymore, they plug it into a scanner and it check the computer, it checks to make sure there is no faults store for the engine and to make sure the rediness monitors are set. That way you can't just clear codes before pulling in and having it tested, you will still fail if the rediness monitors aren't set.

Re: HPTuners + OBDII rediness monitors = emesions legal??
Friday, September 29, 2006 9:39 PM
well aperently in his little hole in the wall town there is no emmesions out by him hahahahah so that will work for him to keep the CEL off, but the question still stands cause I would like to know either way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 29, 2006 9:57 PM

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:45 PM
edit you lazy piece of...... and i live in a hole not a whole, darn people in the us need to learn english ha ha

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:57 PM
I don't know what your tlaking about

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:23 PM
i was wondering the same thing becuase i get a code for slow o2 senor respones........im listening

Saturday, September 30, 2006 2:46 AM
PhilioZ24 wrote:i was wondering the same thing becuase i get a code for slow o2 senor respones........im listening

That is normally the heating element in the sensor 2 has gone out, causing the sensor not to heat up and respond correctly. I was recntly talking to a mechnic aquaintance about this, then a cuople of days later, it happend to me!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:57 AM
Yes, this works. You can disable a majority of the codes to make the readyness tests pass immediately.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:34 AM
Shifted wrote:Yes, this works. You can disable a majority of the codes to make the readyness tests pass immediately.

exactly what I wanted to hear

<3 Shifted

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:01 AM
PhilioZ24 wrote:i was wondering the same thing becuase i get a code for slow o2 senor respones........im listening

Slow response is usually for the first O2 sensor, which you do not want to delete.

FU Tuning

Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:40 AM
Simple truth is its illegal.
But you could never get caught doing it, so it will work.

John Higgins wrote:Slow response is usually for the first O2 sensor, which you do not want to delete.

Also, you cannot delete or disable any sensors in HP.
You can only turn off diagnostics for them.
WIth the codes turned off, they still function.

HP did not bother to decode the tables that control the results of the sensor readings, so there is no way to stop there function in the cal.

sig not found
Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:02 AM
MadJack wrote:

That is normally the heating element in the sensor 2 has gone out, causing the sensor not to heat up and respond correctly. I was recntly talking to a mechnic aquaintance about this, then a cuople of days later, it happend to me!

well the code is for the firsat o2 which is not heated.......

and i have a sim for the second 02 ........

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:52 PM
yup thats what i did, i keep getting the system too rich code and now im getting a cat code, i just deleted them and passed, no biggie

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:15 AM
it works..... kinda like queers in the military, dont ask, dont tell

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:40 AM
I have no cat

I managed to disable my check engine light with HP tuners, however I still have a code for o2 sensor heater element malfunction (even tho my CEL is not illuminated)

I don't have an o2 sim or anything, even when I did have one I still got the same code
unless you can turn that off as well and I haven't found it yet... I turned everything i saw for bank 1 sensor 2 off so I must be missing something...

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 3:36 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) wrote:I have no cat

I managed to disable my check engine light with HP tuners, however I still have a code for o2 sensor heater element malfunction (even tho my CEL is not illuminated)

I don't have an o2 sim or anything, even when I did have one I still got the same code
unless you can turn that off as well and I haven't found it yet... I turned everything i saw for bank 1 sensor 2 off so I must be missing something...
you can do it.... Need to change the status report to (no error reported)

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, October 05, 2006 7:15 AM
Wow - I am finding that I need this software more and more every day... Time to get serious about ordering it. I need to *fix* my ECM so that I can get a sticker here in Mass.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search