tuning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tuning
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:51 PM
i m getting ready to tune my car in a month or two and was wondering if their is any fully standalone systems or if its just hptuners, and megasquirt which are piggybacks if im not mistaken, and if so, is their any advantages to them everyone seems to use hptuner. thanks

Re: tuning
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 5:25 AM
HPT is not a piggy back, it turns your ECU into a standalone, which is why so many people use it. No wiring involved.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:19 PM
im not trying to be a smart a$$ but piggy back doesnt replace ecu, standalone is a new ecu so does it work just as good as a standalone
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 3:56 PM
eric mead wrote:im not trying to be a smart a$$ but piggy back doesnt replace ecu, standalone is a new ecu so does it work just as good as a standalone
I think you need to do some research.......... HPT allows us to modify the STOCK computer.... It gives us access and enables us to modify the facotry settings.... Lets say you get one or the other, do you even know what tables and parameters to change and why to change the,??? Im not trying to be a "smartass" myself, just giving you some "food for thought" ...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 5:22 PM
eric mead wrote:im not trying to be a smart a$$ but piggy back doesnt replace ecu, standalone is a new ecu so does it work just as good as a standalone

I know what a piggyback is, and its definition. You aren't listening to what I'm saying, or you don't know what HPT is. HPT is a way to TURN YOUR STOCK COMPUTER INTO a STANDALONE. It allows you to edit all the available parameters in the ECU, modify fuel, timing, shifting, fans, anything. It works as good as some standalones, there are some limitations, depending on what car you have. The stock ECU uses an Alpha-N tuning, most boosted applications don't want this, but its not impossible to get a very nice tune with it. For NA, Alpha-N is fine and can yield great results.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:12 PM
yae what are the limitations compared to a standalone i didnt really see anything thats why i was asking and the guy thats probably going to tune my car wanted to know more so thats why im asking. but thanks for your help
Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:44 PM
Alpha N does work fairly good with centrifugal supercharger setups because the amount of boost per rpm is always consistant and directly porportional, im seeing good results with my tune even though its still needing some work, now turbos i would say are better benifitted by speed density

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:50 AM
limitations are things like parameters that you cant change, features that standalones usually have like boost controller/progressive boost/gear based boost/speed based boost/real time tuning, and a bunch of other stuff... if you look up the features of a standalone and then the features of hptuners you should have no problem finding the difference

hptuners guys are always releasing updates for us though, so its pretty cool... im happy with it

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, September 29, 2006 7:05 AM
Id like to see speed density for the ecotecs, that would rock my world

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, September 29, 2006 7:41 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Id like to see speed density for the ecotecs, that would rock my world

i think my life in general would just be better

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:42 AM
Acer wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Id like to see speed density for the ecotecs, that would rock my world

As opposed to what?

nothing else is available from GM
All Js are speed density.

sig not found

Saturday, September 30, 2006 7:22 AM
protomec wrote:
Acer wrote:

As opposed to what?

Consider your life better! MAP/IAT/TPS based fueling is Speed Density, the other option is MAF sensor, which J's don't have, but some of the cobalts do (2.4vvt eco's anyways).

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:44 AM
protomec wrote:
Acer wrote:

As opposed to what?

lol proto he means instead of tps for load he wants map..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:33 PM
You people are dumb! Fuel control on non-S/C OS's is alpha-n (rpm vs. NOTHING) for fuel delivery making it useless for oh, 10+ psi.

Yes, you can buy _real_ standalones, Haltec, Electromotive, Autronic, Holley, AEM, etc all should work on a 4 banger with a DIS ignition. Megasquirt is kinda difficult to setup for ignition on our cars, but its doable and by the far the cheapest option. Now, 90% of the time, these are wired up as a piggy back, the stock injector drivers are connected to resistors but all sensors are connected, why you may ask, it makes your car run.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search