hp tuners not only working with certain years??? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hp tuners not only working with certain years???
Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:29 AM
I have a 1996 grand am with the 2.4 and I built the motor for boost I am just getting ready to buy hp tuners and on thier site it says 97 and up I was wondering why will it work with a 1997 grand am, but not a 1996 when they are pretty much same car, same wirng,body style etc? are the ecu's from the 1996's and the 1997's differnt s or the wiring or something? also does anyone know if to fix this problem I can just plug in an ecu from a 1997 and will everything work right?? thanks

Re: hp tuners not only working with certain years???
Saturday, October 14, 2006 11:21 AM
What you need to do is search, I made a longgg asssss post about this awhile back. But since you seem fresh, I will enlighten you. Basically, interior harness is the exact same, so all you need to do is get a 97 OR 98 ENGINE harness AND computer. If you can find one that exactly matches your car, that is best, such as tranny and motor. If you have an auto, you will need the auto harness because it has an extra part to it for tranny control. If you have a manual, doesnt matter, you can cut off the auto harness. Then, if you couldnt find a computer to exactly match your car, tranny and motor, any 97-98 computer will do, then you need to get it reflashed at the dealer to the VIN number of another car of the 97 year that has your same motor and tranny. Then you will be set, everything else plugs in and is fine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search