HPtuners and the eco reflash. - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HPtuners and the eco reflash.
Friday, October 20, 2006 11:00 AM
I read somewhere (no, I can't remember where) that HPTuners was making progress on being able to modify the eco reflash?

Any truth in this?

Re: HPtuners and the eco reflash.
Friday, October 20, 2006 11:51 AM
last time I heard about it, Chris said there was no hope, so I don't think they've even tried to circumvent the problem, especially since the problem he described is pretty much unsolvable...

once the car is reflashed, the "table of contents of the settings" so to speak (computer guys think File Allocation Table) is trashed, meaning all HPTuners sees is a bunch of 0s and 1s with no defined relation to each other...

at least that's what I remember...

14.425 @ 97.833 mph stock + GMPP s/c on drag radials.
Friday, October 20, 2006 12:25 PM
I havn't heard this either, just use HPtunes and the stock tune and away you go, you don't need the tables to be MAP based to tune for boost.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, October 22, 2006 4:32 PM
agreed ^^^

Saturday, November 04, 2006 8:48 PM
^ i know but what if its too late and u dont have a spare 03 ecu or map sensor. id drop 500 right now just to get rid of the rev limiter. 6500 comes way too quick with high boost. plus id like to take advantage of the ferrea valvetrain

http://www.myspace.com/15102113

Saturday, November 04, 2006 11:46 PM
Why would you not need the map tables to tune for boost?

Sunday, November 05, 2006 6:46 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Why would you not need the map tables to tune for boost?
Our cars fuel maps are based off of TPS..... Only Spark is based off of MAP.... (that is unless you are running the SC program) Proper tuning would include modifing your Spark tables, but it could be done by faking the 2/3Bar....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:18 PM
Brain fart there. Thanks.

Friday, November 10, 2006 8:55 PM
so theres absolutely no chance that this is going to work with the eco reflash?

Saturday, November 11, 2006 12:16 AM

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:51 AM
im still waiting on a 100% definate yes or no with it....

Sunday, November 12, 2006 1:34 PM

Is there not another way to move the rev limiter up?

Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:20 PM
not that im aware of besides some kinda ems like megasquire.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:33 PM
Ok I already have the eco reflash, I am going to have to get another ecu so I can run hp tuners, my motor is coming out next weekend and I plan on putting new pistons, rods, valve springs and cams in, and I plan on boosting high, now if I get rid of my old ecu will I be able to tune a new one to be capable to run those new parts and boost higher?

Sunday, November 12, 2006 7:17 PM
^ Yes, but it won't add fuel from vacuum/boost readings. It will add fuel by throttle position and rpm. This is great if the iats remain the same as when you tuned it. But if you tune it on a hot day, it will run much differently on a cold day.

If you keep the stock compression pistons or lower, and an upgraded valvetrain, the 'stock' ecu will be able to accomodate those changes. You can boost to ~22 psi with the stock tune, but you'll need larger injectors and some kind of mechanical fuel tuning device for that.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:05 PM
What do you mean stock tune, is that the way it was before the reflash or is that the way modified by hp tuners using another non-reflashed ecu, I plan on running the 2.5 pulley in the spring.

Monday, November 13, 2006 6:51 AM
Quote:

This is great if the iats remain the same as when you tuned it. But if you tune it on a hot day, it will run much differently on a cold day.

Actually, this is true of both speed density (MAP based) and alpha-n (TPS/RPM based) tuning. The MAP sensor measures pressure, without regard to volume. 10psi at one temperature is not necessarily the same amount of air at another temperature, thanks to thermal expansion/contraction. This is a downfall of MAF-less systems (and part of the reason GM went to a MAF based system on the Cobalt).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:46 AM
03supercharged wrote:What do you mean stock tune, is that the way it was before the reflash or is that the way modified by hp tuners using another non-reflashed ecu, I plan on running the 2.5 pulley in the spring.

What are you going to use for fuel management?

Shifted wrote:Actually, this is true of both speed density (MAP based) and alpha-n (TPS/RPM based) tuning. The MAP sensor measures pressure, without regard to volume. 10psi at one temperature is not necessarily the same amount of air at another temperature, thanks to thermal expansion/contraction. This is a downfall of MAF-less systems (and part of the reason GM went to a MAF based system on the Cobalt).

Not meaning to argue or sound ignorant, but wouldn't the iat sensor alert the ecu to the change in temperature so it can reference that with the map sensor for the best amount of fuel to add?

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:55 AM
IAT sensor adjusts spark...

Look at it like this....

Take a 1ft cubic square box, shrink it 10 times (without shrinking the air inside), the air inside is now at 10psi, and the box is now 1.2in cubic square.

Take a 10ft cubic square box, shrink it 10 times (again without shrinking the air inside), the air inside is also now 10psi, and the box is 1ft cubic square.

Both boxes air is at the same temperature, both boxes have the same pressure air, but the volume is MUCH different. This is exactly how different size turbo's make different amounts of power at exactly the same PSI.

Temperature aside, the MAP sensor does not measure the volume of air, nor can the ECU account for different volumes of air at different temperatures because it's a lot more than just pressure and temperature.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 7:49 PM
Quote:

so theres absolutely no chance that this is going to work with the eco reflash?

Quote:

im still waiting on a 100% definate yes or no with it....

?

Friday, November 24, 2006 6:48 AM
there is absolutely no way at this point nor in the near future it will work.

Happy?

Fork out the cash for HPtuners, $600.00 gets you complete tuning and datalogging. You can't beat that price for complete and total engine management.

-Chris

Friday, November 24, 2006 7:57 AM
IamRascal wrote:there is absolutely no way at this point nor in the near future it will work.

Happy?

Fork out the cash for HPtuners, $600.00 gets you complete tuning and datalogging. You can't beat that price for complete and total engine management.

With enough credit for 4 cars! Now it's $150/car, and you surely can't beat that.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Friday, November 24, 2006 11:32 AM
Shifted wrote:IAT sensor adjusts spark...

Look at it like this....

Take a 1ft cubic square box, shrink it 10 times (without shrinking the air inside), the air inside is now at 10psi, and the box is now 1.2in cubic square.

Take a 10ft cubic square box, shrink it 10 times (again without shrinking the air inside), the air inside is also now 10psi, and the box is 1ft cubic square.

Both boxes air is at the same temperature, both boxes have the same pressure air, but the volume is MUCH different. This is exactly how different size turbo's make different amounts of power at exactly the same PSI.

Temperature aside, the MAP sensor does not measure the volume of air, nor can the ECU account for different volumes of air at different temperatures because it's a lot more than just pressure and temperature.

compressing air causes it to heat up, the smaller the space, the more concentrated/higher the heat both boxs are not at the same temp plus the surface area of the larger box will dissipate more heat then the smaller box......

BUT your explanation is very easy to understand.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, November 24, 2006 4:17 PM
now the question is which box is more efficient

Friday, November 24, 2006 5:48 PM
Quote:

there is absolutely no way at this point nor in the near future it will work.

Happy?

im completely content with my setup now. i have more then enough fuel that my street car will ever need.
the sole reason i want it is for the revlimiter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search