S-AFC II Help Needed - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: S-AFC II Help Needed
Friday, July 14, 2006 9:03 PM
Did you do the TPS calibration thing, and have the TPS voltage set to rising?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, July 14, 2006 9:09 PM
Ya I set the tps thing to rising but how do I do the tps learning option? I didnt quite understand that part.

Project Yellow Blur Is Under Way ! ! ! ! !
Friday, July 14, 2006 10:52 PM
Just wonted to say thank you shifted for all your help I got it going good now I just need to know. Does the ecotec run on a hot wire system or pressure or flap system? I am hoping this has something to do with the correction feature. As it sits the correction feature does not work but eveything else does perfectly. Thanx again for all the help.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:59 AM
Brad Paauw wrote:Just wonted to say thank you shifted for all your help I got it going good now I just need to know. Does the ecotec run on a hot wire system or pressure or flap system? I am hoping this has something to do with the correction feature. As it sits the correction feature does not work but eveything else does perfectly. Thanx again for all the help.

Neither. Those are both MAF sensor styles. J-Bodies don't use a MAF sensor.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:27 AM
^ Its pressure. I went over it with him last night.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 1:34 PM
ORLY? OK that makes sense then.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:02 PM
Shifted wrote:http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/library.asp

BTW, the SAFC is the worst piece of trash I ever put on my car... Ran 10x better when I took it off.

ive seen a ton of people trash the afc on here. this is an awesome tool, and a ton of cars on this site would benifit from this SOOOOO much. people trash it because people dont know how to tune, they think they will throw it on and it will tell them what to do, all the afc is is a tool to adjust fuel,you need some way to log your car to see how to adjust it. ive seen cars into 10's with afcs. but wait im sure ill get the people that say, "its a cavalier, its way different, you cant use an afc they dont work good".
i would like someone to explain to me how adjusting fuel on a cavalier to make it faster is any different than on ANY other car?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:29 PM
Kyle Kurtz wrote:
Shifted wrote:http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/library.asp

BTW, the SAFC is the worst piece of trash I ever put on my car... Ran 10x better when I took it off.

ive seen a ton of people trash the afc on here. this is an awesome tool, and a ton of cars on this site would benifit from this SOOOOO much. people trash it because people dont know how to tune, they think they will throw it on and it will tell them what to do, all the afc is is a tool to adjust fuel,you need some way to log your car to see how to adjust it. ive seen cars into 10's with afcs. but wait im sure ill get the people that say, "its a cavalier, its way different, you cant use an afc they dont work good".
i would like someone to explain to me how adjusting fuel on a cavalier to make it faster is any different than on ANY other car?

Thats really ignorant and based on nothing.

#1. The SAFC works by adjusting the MAP sensor signal. Great on cars where the fuel maps are based on MAP. But what you fail to realize is that the J-body fuel map is TPS and RPM based. Changing the MAP sensor signal does nothing to the fuel.

#2. Boosted applications... MAP sensor is 0-5v, 0v at 0kpa, 5v at 105kpa (which is atmospheric pressure). It cannot increase the map sensor voltage beyond 5v, so it cannot adjust "fuel" during boost.

#3. Positive corrections. The Spark table is MAP based on our cars. Increasing the signal will shift the spark table to the higher KPA numbers. All fine and dandy except timing DECREASES with KPA. Thats right, you lose power during positive corrections.

#4: It ALWAYS throws MAP codes putting your ECU into limp mode at random times. Only way to clear it is to clear the code.

#5: My experience with the SAFC is based in reality. I had one. I've helped dozens of people with them. Every one of them came to the same conclusion, they are junk, on our cars. They may work great on honda's, but they do not work well on J's. Yes I do know how to tune them, yes I do know what I'm doing... so...

Quote:

Well the difference is simple, our cars do not adjust fuel based on the MAP pressure. Therefore, SAFC does not adjust the fuel on our cars. With mine and larger injectors, I had my corrections at -50% at idle and it made absolutely no difference except the idle timing was so far off the car would stall at intersections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:30 PM

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:13 PM
hahaha Ron, your the man, simply put, but this would explain all of the "I cant get this SAFC to work, when i pull "fuel" at 1000 rpm is actually runs worse then when I add (incert percentage here), taht cant be right, I will double check my wiring for the billionth time because it may be backwards or something"
Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:51 PM
well that explains why my car runs weird with the afc it is comin off tomorrow sucks cuz i wasted 250 but someone will buy it for a inmport haha so what does work besides fuel pres reg and big injectors
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 6:58 AM
Jeremy Baumgardner wrote:so what does work besides fuel pres reg and big injectors

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:59 AM
If you are looking for a TUNING device, HPT, E-Manage, Megasquirt.

If you are looking for fuel pressure tuning devices, FMU (boosted applications only), FPR, Fuel Pump, Injectors, etc.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:14 PM
Ok I hear everyone talking about HPTuners this and that but I was also informed that hptuners does not support boosted applications so what is all up with that.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:25 PM
You can tune a boosted eco, you can't tune a boosted eco with the s/c reflash.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:56 PM
what is fmu never heard of it and will probly need because the turbo goes on in 2-4 weeks
Friday, July 28, 2006 5:13 AM
Shifted wrote:If you are looking for a TUNING device, HPT, E-Manage, Megasquirt.

If you are looking for fuel pressure tuning devices, FMU (boosted applications only), FPR, Fuel Pump, Injectors, etc.

I have a 97' gt and i read that because of the 97 ECU that hptuners cant handle/tune anything boost tuning related because the 97 ECU wasn't programmed to be reflased.

so if i was going turbo and needed a way to flex my fuel curve your saying the SAFC is just a bad idea, in my situation.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:02 PM
this has been mentioned before. the main reason the safc wont do anything on our ecus is because as soon as the o2 see;s the change is temp itll adjust acordingly. tihs was braught up last year i na post i was involved in and unless you unhook the o2 sensor you wont be able to adjut the car at all.

we dyno tuned my car last year and saw the changes on the wideband from adjuting the safc, changes that stayed. hell even now adjusting my 1000 rpm low throttle signal i can watch the afr at idle jump anywhere from 9.0 to 18.0.

regardless the safc is a band aid cure. im waiting for chris gill to get a few free hours to tune my car on my 84 pound injectors so i can toss the safc and my 38 pounders with it

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Monday, October 23, 2006 7:50 PM
so we were out datalogging tonite with my turbocharged z. wow let me tell you, nothing but issues withte safc. it was hard to see the problems i was having witthout actual datalogging but its weird. set to the highest level for fuel it runs like a bag top end. set down near the low level it kicks hard. set to about -5 % for wot it seems to actually run good, i cant figure it out. still a litte lean but the near zero temps arent helping my cause although im thankful for the methanol being pumped into the motor.

heres a question though. your interpolation points, hi and low throttle, what are the percentages? im stuck using this until i get chris to tune with hp tuners for me

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search