Questions for you MS'ers: - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Questions for you MS'ers:
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 2:16 AM
I have some questions for those who are running either MSnS-Extra or MS-II running ignition on there DIS.
My first question is does the cam sensor provide any usefull information for the MS to reference besides the crank sensor? Rather, I'm thinking the cam sensor is not needed for full standalone operation of MS? But If someone could verify that for me. Also, next question: Is there anything special/unique about our IAC valve to get MS to control that? Is it just a standard stepper motor valve that the MS-II supports natively?

Re: Questions for you MegaSquirters
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:48 PM
WOW.....I can see there are lots of us here!
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:26 PM
I'm almost positive you do not need the a cam sensor in order for it to work correctly, just need the older style DIS set-up (OBD 1) mostly for a DIS set-up to work on our cars.

The IACV i have no idea yet, i'll look into it tomorrow and let you know

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:13 PM
The suspence is killing me, I sent an email to a guy on the msefi forums but no reply yet.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:51 AM
I havn't done this yet but am looking into it in the near future. From my reading you should be able to use the stock crank sensor and you may not even need to control the IAC valve. I am hitting a wreckers this weekend to see if I can find a donar ICM/coils/wries to try this out soon.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:40 PM
umm...i dont think the IAC is optional, but you dont need the cam sensor as I've never found a setup using MS have one, they just use the crank sensor only.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:46 PM
I don't see why the iac wouldn't be optional. It would be ideal to have the ms controlling it, but I think the stock ecu should still be able to control it fine. If you have big lumpy cams I could see this being a problem but on most other setups you should have a pretty smooth idle and the stock ecu should be able to control the IAC to get the desired idle speed while not having spark control.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:29 PM
hmm....i see you point. I dont know why but i thought you meant not use it at all. Anyway, exactly how much of the stock wiring needs to be running into the ecu/bcm to make sure you dont get any CELs, TPS,IAT,MAP,CTS?

I know alot of people just tee off, so maybe I'll just do that. I'm going to be running HO intake and exhaust cam if I can get away with it, meaning if the ecu/bcm doesn't need a cam sensor signal. I wonder what the ecu/bcm would do without the cam signal? Time to unhook it and see.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:57 PM
i'm taking out the stock ECM completely with my new set-up and just running gauges seperately..

running just fuel i always had a CEL on, but it didn't both me. I just unhooked the injectors on the ECM side and wired them through MS..the car still idle'd fine and crap

Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:02 AM
All you would have needed is a 1/2watt resistor that matchs the resistance of the stock coils around the stock injector leads you took off to get rid of that code. Basically makes the ecu think its still firing injectors.

Seprate gauges is an option, do you mean have MS run the stock gagues?
Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:50 PM
no i'm going to run seperate gauges..i don't think MS has output to run gauges though it would be nice

Sunday, October 22, 2006 4:01 PM
I am running a Standalone and not a Idle valve, it's a bit rough upon start and I assume it would be even rougher if my standalone didn't have a cold start enrichmanet and stuff.
You don't need it, however, if you just unplug it since IAC is a motor that opens and closes, nothing will be opening and closing it so when you hit boost it will get stuck open and you will get 4000 RPM idle.
I jammed mine shut.

I am using ( from stock wiring) VSS, alternator sensor, starter solenoid wire, fan sensor and those 2 grounds that are on the front of the tranny I cut everything else off.

As for doing this don't do it just yet, because I cut all those wires and sensors preciselly and still lost voltage to alternator and I am running it jumped right now.
Something was supplying to the alternator and I think it was 12+V coil wire that I cut.
I got to figure it out.

Also if you cut your coolant temp sensor, you stock ECU won't active the fans because it cannot read coolant temps and it doesn't know that it has to do that, unless you activate it through MS.

Just a few tips for you.
Also, you will have a CEL on but if you scan for codes there will ne NONE because there are no sensors to throw any, that is what I have right now.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:40 PM
You do not need your cam position sensor. MS-2 only uses the crank sensor to operate. You can get a setup to control your fan from flex-a-lite. A DIS module from a 92 or older quad 4. I need help with getting my car to start all of the time. I am tring to use the offset cam gears on my setup. I am using HO cams on P&P 02, 2.4L head. I am also using a gm s/c with a 2.5" pulley and an MS-2 for spark and fuel control. Every time I crank the car, it is keeps trying to fire on the exhaust stroke while cranking. Once the car cranks it is fine. I had to modify the ICM to work with the MS2. I have offset the cams +2 on the intake and -2 on the exhaust. Do I need to change this or not? Does anyone have some #'s I can use. Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Monday, October 23, 2006 6:13 AM
I see most of your questions have been answered. I was using megasquirt to control boost retard on my distributor in the bird. I have completely deleted my ECU. I am doing the research now to complete a coil-per cylinder distributerless set-up so soon I may be able to help you with something similar.

As for IAC, you have to add a circuit to your MS board and change a few values in the registry. I have a 2.0 turbo but until recently I was using a 56mm 2.3 throttlebody which uses the same IAC. I believe it is a 170 step motor. my programming should work with yours. I will see what I can dig up. I also had pictures of the conversion up somewhere. I will find it all for you.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:13 AM
^Sweet.....lemme check it out once you find it.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:34 AM
This thread has pictures of the swap You need to add pins to X2-5 to your MS connector.
X2 (or DB37 pin 25 if jumpered through X11) goes to Coil 1, lead A
X3 (or DB37 pin 27 if jumpered through X12) goes to Coil 1, lead B
X4 (or DB37 pin 29 if jumpered through X13) goes to Coil 2, lead A
X5 (or DB37 pin 31 if jumpered through X14) goes to Coil 2, lead B

i don't remember which connector your IAC uses but I believe it is the square one. I will double-check with wiring and give you an exact pin-out when I get a chance to look at my car. Use a thinner gauge wire though.
After you have done that you need to change some data:
Go here for information on parameters.
You should be able to set your own parameters. I will have to hook up my laptop to MS to give you mine if you need them, just let me know. I believe you have a 170 step motor.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:13 AM
I will be using a 2.3 TB so I'd say what you got will work.
Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:18 AM
Minion, did you have to adjust your tb blade at all for your IAC.?
Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:39 AM
^Good Q.....high five!
Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:47 PM
I made no adjustment. I am using a 2.3 TB on a 2.0 turbo motor though. I don't know what kind of effect displacement may have on it, or turbo/intercooler interference.

Cardomain|Myspace

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search