What is the easiest way to tune - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is the easiest way to tune
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:31 AM
hi I have a 99 2200 sfi with the 3spd auto this upcoming summer Im starting a big project on my car(complete engine rebuild and turbo kit w/ FMIC and possibly N20 intercooler sprayer) and would like some advice as which route people have had the best experience with ? My options are as follows (cost is a big factor so hidden cost suck)
1) use a boost sensing FMU regulator and Dis-2 with stock computer and bigger injectors.and a boost controller, and obd2 Data log chip.
2)Get Hp Tuners and adjustable Regulator and bigger Injectors, and boost controller.
3)Go with a Complete Fully Programmable ECU to contorl everything on the car, wiring harness, new injectors, replace sensors that dont work with the new computer Etc.

Again I want your honest opinions and experience with any of these both the good and the bad I dont car if you had a hell of a time tell me the problem and if you were able to fix it reasonably or if it cost a fortune to repair?!?!?

I want to be able to use a wide band O2 and data log capabilities on as many sensors as possible fuel and timing control are the biggest factors it would also be nice to be able to control Torque converter lock up and rev limiter. if i can get the car fast enough i would like to be able to delete the speed limiter but thats not for a while.

Please offer any suggestions and any experience with any of these options and whether or not you think I'm insane for attempting to put a 2.2 OHV J-body into the high 12's and still daily driven.

'99 2.2 OHV w/3spd auto (work in progress)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322134

Re: What is the easiest way to tune
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:50 AM
HPT is what you are looking for. Option 1 won't do it, option 3 is basically what HPT turns your ECU into.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 1:23 PM
Does HPT allow the use of a Wide band O2 or do you have to get a seperate one?

Can HPT control boost ? Stage N2O or control it in some way ? or do these require seperate controllers?

Basically what can HPT do and what can it not do ?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 1:30 PM
HPT can use a WBO2 for feedback during tuning, it doesn't use it as an input into the ECU.

HPT doesn't control boost (unless you hooked the EIO into a boost controller, same with the nitrous). HPT is a tool to change the parameters inside your existing ECU. If your ECU can't see boost from the factory, HPT can't make it see boost. HPT can turn a 2.4 NA into a 2.4 boosted, but not for the 2.2.

Check out the FAQ's for what HPT can/cannot do.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:42 PM
Shifted wrote: HPT can turn a 2.4 NA into a 2.4 boosted, but not for the 2.2.

What do you mean it wont do that for the 2.2 ?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 4:53 PM
There is no 2 bar reflash for the 2.2, there is one for the 2.4.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:38 PM
Might I recommend a transmission swap as well? That'll improve performance greatly by itself. Possibly to a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed manual.

--------------------------------------------------
'96 Cavalier Good ol' Pushrod 2.2
-24X,000 miles on factory build
-Some oil loss between changes, me thinks it be rings.
Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:45 PM
oh but i can still fake a 2 or 3 bar setup ? if i were to turbo my car i wouldn't have any problems as long as I know what I'm doing ?

and if i register my 99 sunfire 3spd will it use more credits to tune my uncles 99 cavi with a 5spd manual?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:00 AM
Yes for all those questions.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:12 AM
Umm....only for the 2.4...not the 2200
Yes it will take more crerdits to tune the other car.

HPT is not really close to option 3(standalone), but it is easy as that is what your looking for. I guess HPT is like a neutered standalone since it can only modify the ECUs editable parameters.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:25 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:Umm....only for the 2.4...not the 2200
Yes it will take more crerdits to tune the other car.

HPT is not really close to option 3(standalone), but it is easy as that is what your looking for. I guess HPT is like a neutered standalone since it can only modify the ECUs editable parameters.

You can fake a 2/3 bar on any engine.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:38 AM
Thank you Guys for all the Help ! oh Not to bring you down i Know my tranny is the slowest of all but thats the challange is taking the slowest made J-body and making it as fast as possible. sticking with my auto 3 spd. oh i read the sticky does anyone know if all the bugs or at least most are out of HPT i would like to know it will work great b4 a big purchase like that.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 6:42 AM
There aren't any currently known issues with HPT on a J body.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 1:23 PM
ok just checking the stick on the top of this forum showed some problems some ppl where having and I just wanted to make sure that they were debuged b4 I spent all that money. but as soon as funding gets on its feet its HPT for me! heres the plan

Tune my car with HPT as is (stock 2.2 OHV and 3 spd auto)

then using a long block 2.2 from another car (so i dont have to park mine for eternity)
port and polish head
forged pistons and rods
roller lifters
roller rockers
stage 2 cam
high flow oil pump
higher compression ratio
turbo Kit ( Hahn Race Craft)
high stall torque converter
upper and lower engine mounts
braided steel brake lines
anti-sway bars
18" wheels
forged push rods
Iridium Spark plugs
2.5-3" exhaust and downpipe
strut tower brace

after all that work

swap in the new turboed 2.2 long block and then its back to HPT for some more tuning and then its to the track for some fun and hopefully some good times!!!(if you have a recommendation on certain parts to use or parts listed that aren't necessarily needed please feel free to PM me or reply my budget is getting tighter so any thing is a saving.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:31 PM
is it hard to tune using HPT or is it pretty much based on your knowledge of how your car opperates with the mods you do. b/c I have never tuned a computer before but I have a really great knowledge of whats going on under the hood and some basic knowledge of the transmission operation. Should I have too much trouble or would it be relatively easy ???

Monday, November 13, 2006 12:09 PM
it always helps to know what is going on in the motor so you can have a good idea of the effects your tuning is having.....great for troubleshooting, however that knowledge wont get you too far with tuning as its not related to a great extent.....but with HPT you shouldn't have too much trouble, its a pretty easy interface.
Monday, November 13, 2006 3:25 PM
Thank you, I've been reading books on computer tuning and I understand a lot of it. and my knowledge of engines helps a lot. well I guess it's HPT for me as soon as my cash flow gets better. Should I need all the parts I listed above if I plan to run more than 10psi boost on my 2200 ?, or can I get away with less ? lastly, is boost necessarily the best route for a daily driver that needs to also get me back and forth with good gas mileage or is N20 a decent alternative and can I get as much power as the boost will make?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:41 AM
I advise you to install a megasquirt system parallel to your factory computer to control the fuel injectors - larger ones. Megasquirt recognizes boost and is a pretty easy install. MS also has a self-tune program that gives you a rough starting point which is usually almost perfect anyway. MS can take a wideband O2 sensor through the use of precision wideband. The whole set-up costs less than HPtuners and has so much more options. You can use your stock computer with a programmable DIS2 to fine-tune your ignition as well.
awesome computer
awesome software
awesome... everything

I highly recommend it.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 4:27 PM
ok where can I find a Mega squirt and info about one I'll consider it as an option expecially in my financial situation.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search