Tuning stock/na eco. - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning stock/na eco.
Friday, November 17, 2006 1:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried tuning a NA eco yet. I know their was talk of supposedly being able to hit about 170 hp with hp tuners.

Re: Tuning stock/na eco.
Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:10 PM
how good can u tune? I cant see how thats not possible on an eco
Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:10 AM
To my knowledge, nobody has actually dyno tuned a stock (bolt ons) eco yet. I managed to get mine on the dyno and run it with nothing other than selling the Low Octane PE advance tables to those values of the High Octane map. This was the result from just that. Im not sure where in the tuning more gains are to be made, some say its more timing advance in the upper rpms, I haven't pushed it there and been able to dyno the results. I have however leaned out my fuel curve out to 13:1 which should be optimal for a n/a 4cyl from what I have read everywhere, but could not notice from the but dyno, as you can see from the logs, it runs pretty rich in upper rpms.

*Disclaimer these are repost,

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:52 AM
like black eco said, I can see it happening but nobody has done it yet.

owen stampflee, who's running 14.4 in the 1/4 mile n/a with the ecotec, dynoed around 160whp i think.
I'm not sure though, perhaps he can chime in here..

I'm less modified than stampflee, and plan on hitting the dyno with the car n/a with a stock bottom end,
Patriot stage 2 ported head, cams, 4-2-1 header with full 3" exhaust.

I may also work in an intake manifold, and a few other mods between here and there, i'm still researching
beneficial mods that will still let me boost the car without having to backtrack and replace parts I just put in.

I should have results with a decent tune soon.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:34 AM
if i remember correctly, timing ramps out really bad on the eco ecu past 5500 rpm... eliminating that ramp-out should bring power back up there, but not having seen a dyno with that done, I couldn't tell you how much.... Its more likely that the stock cams are the limiting factor of the NA eco, since i can't believe the rapid drop in hp after 5500 rpm is from timing retardation alone.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:33 PM
^^agreed

there is definetly power to be made up top but you need to eliminate timing ramp out, as well as MAYBE advance timing a little up top (AFTER air/fuel tuning of course) and cams to back it up

Friday, December 01, 2006 11:53 PM
this is rolly a newbish question but then again im new to tuning what is timing ramp out

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:57 AM
PJ - are you serious....Owen is doing all that on 160, like he only has 160 after everything he has done?

Saturday, December 02, 2006 12:15 PM
John VanCuran wrote:this is rolly a newbish question but then again im new to tuning what is timing ramp out

for some reason (why we really don't know), maybe for safety, maybe for emissions, the stock ecu is programmed to drastically reduce ignition timing advance after 5500 RPM at WOT (and i assume part throttle as well, but you don't normally get to 5500 rpm at part throttle). Less advance = less power in most circumstances. You have to be careful bringing back the advance because too much can cause detonation if you don't have the octane for it, and sometimes, even if you are running high enough octane to be detonation free, advancing timing past a certain point doesn't necessarily add any power anyway.

If you don't know what ignition advance is, its how many degrees of crank rotation before top dead center (highest point of the piston's travel in the cylinder) that the spark plug ignites... Igniting before TDC means more of the fuel gets burned and more cylinder pressure is created, most times translating to more power. Overly retarded timing results in an incomplete burn, lack of power, bad fuel economy, and sometimes, really wicked flames out of your tail pipe and occasionally even melted exhaust parts Hope that clears it up.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, December 02, 2006 12:18 PM
USJDM.....GOT YA B!TCH! wrote:PJ - are you serious....Owen is doing all that on 160, like he only has 160 after everything he has done?

from the post Owen made in PJ's other thread, he's maxxed his injectors, is running 100% duty cycle, and still leaner than he'd like to be. So i'd say theres more power to be made there. Plus I'm not sure what cam profile he's running, it may not be aggressive enough. Sounds at this point like tuning issues though (i guess he's broke from building the motor, and can't afford injectors lol...)

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, December 02, 2006 1:16 PM
USJDM.....GOT YA B!TCH! wrote:PJ - are you serious....Owen is doing all that on 160, like he only has 160 after everything he has done?

yea but don't forget hp is just a number... a low-mid 14 with 160hp is pretty damn impressive considering some cars making 200hp on this website struggle to hit mid-high 14s.

I was running 15.7 with only 115whp on my 2200, and I now run 14.9 with only 140whp (and my crap driving)

hp isn't a good comparison anyway, dynojets, mustang dynos, etc all have diferent methodology and thus differing results for the same car.. HP is just a benchmark and dynos are a great way to tune, but other than that is just a stroke on the long hard ego of the owner.

e/t is the only number that counts =P

..and maybe mph too if its really really high

Saturday, December 02, 2006 2:12 PM
yeah if he did it on a mustang dyno, which is load-bearing, the numbers will be somewhat lower than if he dynoed on a dynojet (which gives fairly optimistic numbers). Mustang dynos are typically better for tuning because they can adjust the load on the engine on the fly to make sure that all areas of the tuning map are accessed and tuned accordingly. And like PJ says, Owen is still putting it down where it counts

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, December 02, 2006 3:30 PM
Oh I know he is, i was just suprised to see that he is putting down that number w/ teh work that he has into the motor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search