other tuning methods with engine rebuild - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
other tuning methods with engine rebuild
Sunday, November 19, 2006 7:44 PM
some of you may know iam rebuilding my 97 2.4l ld9 with high compression 11.1: comp ported head and 2.3l oil pump conversion and a lil more you can check my reg for more details.

But what iam wondering is what you guys would suggest for a method of tuning i was thinking hp-tuner but $650
i was just wondering if theres something else i could use and still get decent results.
If i have to ill just get hp-tuner but i have never tuned a vehicle so i don't know if i should do that ether or is it pretty simple to figure out?

other suggestions ?

wide band o2?
afpr?
hp-tuner?

just need a lil help.
i would appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot,
Paul Tjepkes

Re: other tuning methods with engine rebuild
Monday, November 20, 2006 1:01 PM
anyone?

Monday, November 20, 2006 1:19 PM
Paul Tjepkes wrote:wide band o2?
afpr?
hp-tuner?

All of the above plus a EGT gauge. and being that your doing the 2.3 swap a oil pressure gauge.

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:53 PM
what would the exhaust gas temp gauge do for me?
I am for sure getting a oil pressure gauge for the same reasons you said 2.3l oil pump conversion.

What Iam trying to say is there any way i can tune it not having to use hptuner ?

Thanks,
Paul

Monday, November 20, 2006 8:44 PM
Wel, since you are N/A, you could get by with larger injectors and a afpr, BUT, what do you all want to do. I see that you are having the oil pump swap done, AND you are N/A. WHat is a key important part to a NA motor, well any motor, but...more so on a NA motor, the cams. U can run some cams that will make power a lot higher in the rpm band now that you have most of the oiling issues taken care of, but, without using HP tuners to get rid of the stock rev limit, larger cams arent going to help much. I would deffinatly get HP tuners and some larger injectors, that is about it, and it will take care of ALL of your needs as a N/A supporter. Also, timing advance is going to play a large part with you, so...HPT deffinatly gets my vote for this.
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:04 AM
EGT will make sure you dont melt your pistons with that sort of compression...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:06 AM
well iam going to use ford brown top injectors and an afpr so fuel should be good

But like i said i have never tuned a car with hptuner and would really have no clue what iam doing
one of my friends has some tuner with a laptop for his gtp so he can help me out a lil but other than that i know nothing about tuning a vehicle.

Anyone in the northwest iowa region that would like to help out when i get to the tuning stage of the build?

as for gauges iam getting a egt, a/f, oil pressure,
tuning. hptuner pro

so iam i really going to need the wideband?

Thanks,
Paul

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:12 PM
Skip the A/F gauge, go right to wideband.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:22 PM
so what all do you think i all really need ?

afpr
wideband
hptuner
egt, oil pressure, gauge

and do i really need all of this
i mean what is all really a necessity?

Thanks,
Paul

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:27 PM
Wideband = essential to tuning
Oil pressure = nice to know that things are working
EGT = Not so necessary, but nice to have
AFPR = not necessary if you have an AFPR

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:17 PM
Shifted wrote:Wideband = essential to tuning
Oil pressure = nice to know that things are working
EGT = Not so necessary, but nice to have
AFPR = not necessary if you have an AFPR

I think Shifted meant........

AFPR=not necessary if you have HP tuners.
EGT=I think is pretty much a neccessity if you are doing any sort of timing tuning. Plug reading and EGT gauge are the only real ways to see if timing is on, other than a load bearing dyno. People stress a/f ratio's too much on this website I personally think, much more to tuning than hitting a target a/f ratio.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:29 PM
a good tune is a combination of egt, air/fuel, and a bit of luck.... (basically finding out what your motor likes) which requires a dyno.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:07 AM
so you guys really think i will be able to tune this thing myself with hptuner and a wideband with some gauges??????
because like i said i have never tuned a vehicle with hptuner or a wideband actually i have never tuned a car.

so you really think i can tune it my self?

Thanks,
Paul

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:41 PM
Not even really worrying about fuel - but aren't you concerned about timing with that kind of compression? You're going to want to have HPTUNERS to help you out with that - I know it's $650 but its well worth it my friend.

Wideband gauge, EGT to monitor exhaust temps to get the optimal timing, Oil pressure gauge for the obvious reason...

Brown tops will take you to 300 horses or thereabouts. Trust me - I know. ... I can even give you the injector constant in HPT to idle them and have proper driveability like the stock 24# injectors.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, November 24, 2006 5:40 PM
so far no one is an expert on tuning its mostly just trial and error even for the pros most of the time you find what works for your car after a few trial and error and you stick to whats good. if you want to learn some more go to your local library or book store and read "How to tune and modify engine management systems" By: Jeff Hartman. you will learn the basics and feel comfortable tuning all on your own.

'99 2.2 OHV w/3spd auto (work in progress)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322134
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:26 AM
Quote:

so far no one is an expert on tuning its mostly just trial and error even for the pros

To some extent, what you're doing as a tuner is learning about what the engine likes. You can say "I'm going to make my afr 12.2:1" but if you look, you might find it actually likes to run better at a different AFR.

Tuning usually involves starting with a close tune then getting closer and closer by using datalogs, gauge readings, plug readings, and other measurements (track times or dyno readings). The trick as a "pro" is to get as close as possible, in the least amount of steps as possible, without getting lost in trying to get too close or causing any damage (either now or later).

Most people seem interested in doing full throttle tuning. But my gripe is that cars tuned only for full throttle often run like poo-poo when not at full throttle. It's no fun driving a car that blows black smoke, stalls, starts hard, or bucks and snorts at traffic lights. With time and a good tuning package you can make a car run well when you most often drive it.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search